Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How often do you say "NO" ?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Carl...LOL...give the guy an estimate!

This isn't like a petty DIY'er trying to glean info from you...this could actually pan out.

Not every request for an estimate is a lowballer...call him back!
    No. I am just not interested in 'bid' jobs, there are far too many low-ballers around here ever since the new construction slowed down. Last week I went on a 'free estimate' to trench and install a 450 ft. waterline. I gave the guy a price that I thought was very cut-rate, almost too low. I never heard back, because in this economy people are getting 10 bids and going with the lowest. That was the last 'free bid' I do for awhile.
    I can't afford to drive out to 'bids' any more just like Dunbar said in this thread. I did get two other calls today that wanted immediate service...and I did them!
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Charge a "diagonosis fee" and don't emphasize your price. Emphasize why your service is worth the value it is.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Charge a "diagonosis fee" and don't emphasize your price. Emphasize why your service is worth the value it is.
        I do. But some people aren't willing to pay a diagnostic fee and they are free to call someone else to request a charity donation of their gas and time.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
          No. I am just not interested in 'bid' jobs, there are far too many low-ballers around here ever since the new construction slowed down. Last week I went on a 'free estimate' to trench and install a 450 ft. waterline. I gave the guy a price that I thought was very cut-rate, almost too low. I never heard back, because in this economy people are getting 10 bids and going with the lowest. That was the last 'free bid' I do for awhile.
          I can't afford to drive out to 'bids' any more just like Dunbar said in this thread. I did get two other calls today that wanted immediate service...and I did them!
          OK, good point.
          If you can afford to look past the meatloaf, grab the roast beef.

Comment

See, Service Guy not only saved time but money.

Remember that when someone is a victim of a crime...rational thinking goes out the door and is in panic mode most times. it's like a woman *or man* who just broke up with a bf or gf.

Danger zone. Not thinking clearly, wanting selection to gauge the next victim's value.

The gut instinct is to go after bottom dollar. We are ALL guilty of this.

I've perfected this ability to say NO so well that I want to take you to my website, download my free software because you need to make millions of dollars just like me.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm curious if any of you tell possible customers something along the lines of, "Well, it is going to cost about X amount of dollars. I am not the cheapest in town, but I'm not the highest priced. I stand by my work and if something goes wrong, you can get ahold of me. Also, if you find someone that can do it cheaper than me, I'd be a bit worried about his knowledge, workmanship, and reliability."

Something like that. Not those exact lines.

I remember when I wanted to be a home inspector back when I was 19 and the inspector that taught the class told us that when people are price shopping, you have to let them know what you have to offer and why you aren't the cheapest.

Just a thought
              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                I'm curious if any of you tell possible customers something along the lines of, "Well, it is going to cost about X amount of dollars. I am not the cheapest in town, but I'm not the highest priced. I stand by my work and if something goes wrong, you can get ahold of me. Also, if you find someone that can do it cheaper than me, I'd be a bit worried about his knowledge, workmanship, and reliability."

Something like that. Not those exact lines.

I remember when I wanted to be a home inspector back when I was 19 and the inspector that taught the class told us that when people are price shopping, you have to let them know what you have to offer and why you aren't the cheapest.

Just a thought

Never. That would be sell-speak and they are already thumbing the yellow-pages for the next guy who's hungry.

Here's what I do and it works quite well:

When they call,

Act like you're extremely busy whether or not you are.
                Don't react in interest to their job; remember you're busy and don't have a lot of time.
                Tell them you might be able to get them in X amount of time frame. If they seem pressed for a NOW time frame then tell them that you can most likely get someone *whether you're a one man show or not* within the hour.
                Ask a few questions to create a fact finding mission to know what you're getting into. The last thing you want is a misdiagnosis over the phone when clearly the issue is non-related to plumbing. *You still charge but you have to*

Never get excited about a call, optimistic. That's bad in so many ways. Save it for your beer buddies when you get back with money in hand.

If a customer starts really prying for info out of you on the phone, stop it as fast as it started by saying, "Ma'am/Sir? I have another customer calling. If you want to schedule an appointment please call back."

Might sound harsh above but you can execute the above in a tasteful manner. Being friendly sometimes can be a liability before an asset. Remember, you're in the plumbing business, not the "Make the world smile because you're a good guy" biz.

My beginnings in business was rough, real rough being a tossed card in the profession by not understanding the baseline idea of generating a solid reputation without giving away the trade in the process.

Remember that you do a good job like many others. Attitude can be the difference in respect to being gullable or honorable to the idea of making money.

I know of a plumber that works around the clock, gives his time to so many people whether it be through the veins of family, church, friends or just charity. It's the noble thing, granted.....but my disabled *** can't do that, I'm falling apart and saving myself for the ability to just get up and do this every damn day.

These people that flock towards this fellow, he's degraded the trade indirectly because he's built the buddy buddy system and the reality is that people don't know the TRUE value of the profession.

I'm out of the loop of saving the plumbing world from "those" trying to make a honest living doing it every day.......just to see someone tearing it down by being a goodie-goodie to so many around. It's really selfish of sorts.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I think the important thing to realize is that not all businesses have the exact same goals , nor the exact same customer niche, and every person is slightly different in their business approach with people.

Company A might have developed a strong business by focusing on remodels and being super friendly and doing estimates for people in order to secure larger jobs and long-term relationships with property flippers, GCs, etc.

Company B might be different, they may have also developed a strong business focused more on emergency service calls, giving fast service to whoever comes first and charging a diagnostic charge to come out in order to verify that the customer is in as much need as the rest of the people calling and wanting immediate service.

Also I think the biggest mistake salespeople make is trying to 'copy' another salesperson who has a different personality. Each person has to use their own unique gifts and personality to generate relationships and business. There is no 'one-size-fits-all' sales technique that can be used by everyone.

So of course Dunbar's own unique, somewhat harsh method of dealing with the public is not for everyone! I happen to have a similar personality in some ways and I 'get' what he is saying about dealing with window-shopping caller's on the phone. The client-professional relationship is a two-way street. Its not only the caller who is looking for a particular professional to meet their needs, the professional also is looking for a particular type of client! And in my years in service, it has become rather obvious that I do better when I am a bit 'picky' and choose only to work for certain clients while ignoring the people who I don't 'click' with and letting them find a plumber who will better suit their needs.

My first year in business was rather slow as I never did side-work before I started on my own as I don't agree with it. Anyone doing side-work who works for me will be fired immediately. I know many plumbers started out their businesses by first doing side-work while working for another company. I did not have that luxury, I started with ONE client and thats it, so the first year was tough. I found myself taking EVERY call and I ended up going out to a lot of calls that were complete wastes of my time. Now I am a lot busier and I say 'NO' a lot more often. Contractors calling about projects....NO, I don't do new construction. People who are calling around 'to get a bunch of bids' on their little plumbing project....NO, its $50 for a service appointment, I specialize in service. People who want me to come out and give them hours of free advice about a remodel project...NO, I wasted enough time last year doing free consulting for people who need to hire architects or designers before they decide to get estimates.

Anyway, we all have unique businesses and we all do things slightly differently so of course we will not always agree on the best 'method' of dealing with the public and thats perfectly normal.

Comment

Dunbar and Service Guy,

Thanks for the lengthy posts and input. I really appreciate both of the responses and I'm glad I get to learn from guys that have been in business longer than I have!

I am like Service Guy and I won't really bid on big jobs because I do service work. I always wondered how someone who works by themselves and who has hobbies outside of work along with a family can do big jobs and do service work. Heck, why not throw in "no secretary" at the same time LOL!

Thanks again for the help, guys!
                    Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 08-17-2008, 12:58 PM.
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      ..............I've perfected this ability to say NO so well that I want to take you to my website, download my free software because you need to make millions of dollars just like me.

Comment

Working...
                      X