Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Navien tankless heaters

Originally posted by kavan View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not very new to Navien Tankless heaters. I have a CR 210a and have had it running for about 2 years now. Flawlessly I might add. It's used only for hot water at 4 sinks and two showers, dishwasher and washing machine. I usually don't bother with the recirculation pump and just put up with the cold water sandwhich if I need to. I have used the pump though and it works when used.

My problem which has just started is only when I am trying to fill my bathtub which is a tub/shower combo, pretty normal basic unit. It keeps alternating from hot to cold to hot....etc etc...more cold then hot really. As if it can't keep up with the water.

If I pull the plunger (thingy on the tub faucet, spout....) to start the shower the problem goes away and it works perfectly. Lots of hot water forever it seems.

The wife tells me that the washing machine is also doing the same thing (haven't verified yet) but I think I might believe her...hehe.

Tech support is point at my 'mixing valve' at the shower which I'm guessing is my tap. It's one of those single controls that shuts off at one end of COLD and the other end is full HOT.

Any other suggestions or does this sound right? I can't see how it would work when the shower is running but not when filling the tub.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kavan

Your groundwater Temp is low enough that the unit is having to throttle flow to try to maintain temp. Once you reduce usage (by pulling shower plunger) the unit can then keep up...

Your unit may be undersized based on your winter water temperatures...

Bill

Comment

I have installed 7 units to date. I have had the same board and flow control problems. The unit also does not fire with most of the new high efficience washing machines, it uses a lot of water if you are on metered water, and isn't very friendly to dishwashers. (sorry Navien) I am not very impressed. My wholesaler tells me Navien has a (Next Generation) out now! We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by kavan View Post
        Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not very new to Navien Tankless heaters. I have a CR 210a and have had it running for about 2 years now. Flawlessly I might add. It's used only for hot water at 4 sinks and two showers, dishwasher and washing machine. I usually don't bother with the recirculation pump and just put up with the cold water sandwhich if I need to. I have used the pump though and it works when used.

My problem which has just started is only when I am trying to fill my bathtub which is a tub/shower combo, pretty normal basic unit. It keeps alternating from hot to cold to hot....etc etc...more cold then hot really. As if it can't keep up with the water.

If I pull the plunger (thingy on the tub faucet, spout....) to start the shower the problem goes away and it works perfectly. Lots of hot water forever it seems.

The wife tells me that the washing machine is also doing the same thing (haven't verified yet) but I think I might believe her...hehe.

Tech support is point at my 'mixing valve' at the shower which I'm guessing is my tap. It's one of those single controls that shuts off at one end of COLD and the other end is full HOT.

Any other suggestions or does this sound right? I can't see how it would work when the shower is running but not when filling the tub.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Kavan
        Your tub almost certainly uses more water than your shower on the same fixture. So I think you're running more GPM than your heater's rated for. Although I would expect a cooler water not a hot-cold-hot cold water phenomena. This could be my inexperience with tankless heaters showing though.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The only tankless heater l've ever had go back and service was the cr 240a. 4 times in one year, and each time a different problem! My advice, stay away from Navien.

Comment

Hey gang-

We had a Navien NR-210A installed last week and for the most part we LOVE it! Our plumber installed a recirculation return line, and so the instant hot water is amazing. And of course we really love the unlimited hot water!

My only comment is regarding the noise that the fan blower makes on startup and shutdown. For about the first and last 5 seconds of operation, the blower makes a rumbling or growling sound. And yes, there is perhaps slight vibration perceptible as well. I've sat by the unit during several of these startup and shutdown cycles, and the fan seems to go through a kind of hi-low cycle at start and shutdown.

We're on a crawlspace so we didn't have the option of positioning the unit far from any living spaces- the only thing separating us from the unit are the floorboards. So we expected to hear something, but I'm curious about the startup and shutdown fan noise. Is this normal?

And speaking of recirculation, how often is "normal" for the recirculation pump to cycle on and off? During periods of zero demand, I'd say ours comes on and off once every 4 or 5 minutes. Does that sound about right?

Thanks gang!

Kupe
            Last edited by Kupe; 03-29-2010, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Good afternoon
              We have a Navien 240 and a Heater box. We ahv ebeen having major issues with the fan noise. It is of couse the same as you on startup andd Shutdown, but it growls all the time when running. It wakes us up at night. Our heats the floor as well and that part runs for 5 min every 15 min. We cannot get any help from Navien. The rep was here and said it sounds normal, but I have been to one in South Edmonton and it is absolulty quite.

The are other issues like smell and taste of the hot wter and the mouning of the heating box. They say they are going to try something later this weeks. So far it has been 3 dissapointing months. I am seriusly thinking of going with a different brand of back to my tank again.
              Please respond.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by shivoo54 View Post
                Good afternoon
                We have a Navien 240 and a Heater box. We ahv ebeen having major issues with the fan noise. It is of couse the same as you on startup andd Shutdown, but it growls all the time when running. It wakes us up at night.

Brian
                Brian-

We don't have a Heater Box- just the Navien NR-210A tankless heater. Does the source of your noise seem to be the 240 or the Heater Box? Wish I could be more help.

One thing that seems clear is that there needs to be a much better online gathering place for users of the new generation of Tankless Water Heaters. Posts in this forum are very infrequent. The best thing that Navien and the others could do would be to host their own user-to-user forums. I know it sounds scary for a manufacturer to do that, but that is the trend in everything high-tech today. Look at the user-to-user forums for Apple computer as an example. We really need a place to meet and compare notes.

I wish we knew of another NR-210A near us as I'd like to compare sound levels.

Kupe

Comment

Our experience is with a Navien CR 240 A. There have had three key issues with the unit since it was installed just shy of two years ago. We also have very soft water here and our climate is moderate. The unit has had a water flow sensor replaced (after some online research this is common) and then the circuit board replaced (which they were slow to do and from research is another common issue with these units) and now we have had a minor flood due to a cracked water pipe adapter that leaked for five days before it was discovered.

After these three different part failures Navien America is only willing to replace the cracked water pipe adapter and not the whole unit, which is VERY disappointing and in my opinion not very good customer service. We are very disappointed with Navien.

Comment

Rick, I just read your other post on another site, here and there you list yourself as Ricks plumbing & heating yet in the other post you forgot who you thought you were and posted that you paid alot of money for a plumber and contractor to fix it.

You are obviously a competitor of Navien, ex rep or employee, this site is meant for legitimate posts, not for people with an ax to grind.

Comment

A buddy of mine removed two more Naviens and replaced them with Rinnai units. THe owners where very dissatisfied with the performance and the multiple break downs of the Navien units. I will ask my buddy to get me some details on the issues they had with them and post it here later.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        A buddy of mine removed two more Naviens and replaced them with Rinnai units. THe owners where very dissatisfied with the performance and the multiple break downs of the Navien units. I will ask my buddy to get me some details on the issues they had with them and post it here later.
                        Hey great Ron, and a buddy of mine pulled 3 Rinnai's and put in 3 Takagi's because they didn't work, and Rinnai was slow in shipping parts, I will share additional details later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post
                          Hey great Ron, and a buddy of mine pulled 3 Rinnai's and put in 3 Takagi's because they didn't work, and Rinnai was slow in shipping parts, I will share additional details later.
                          You state you're seeing problems with Rinnai, EVERYONE seems to be seeing problems with Navien, Bosch is a boat anchor....

Now why are these things being shoved down peoples' throats as the thing to do?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee H View Post

I have put in many Rinnai units not a single problem what so ever. As for parts no problem here. All the supply houses that sell Rinnai units have parts in stock, collecting dust I might ad.

Well Mr Lee I see you get very sore with anyone that posts issues and displeasure with Navien units. Just FYI two of my local plumbing suppliers that carried Navien have stopped, they are now carring Rinnai, and Noritz. I am sorry to say that your newest generation of these units are still buggy as ever, I waited to see if the guys that installed these newer units would see positive results but they have not. They also talk poorly about long waits with technical support, and unknowable tech support operators.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            Ron's Facebook
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                              I have put in many Rinnai units not a single problem what so ever. As for parts no problem here. All the supply houses that sell Rinnai units have parts in stock, collecting dust I might ad.

Well Mr Lee I see you get very sore with anyone that posts issues and displeasure with Navien units. Just FYI two of my local plumbing suppliers that carried Navien have stopped, they are now carring Rinnai, and Noritz. I am sorry to say that your newest generation of these units are still buggy as ever, I waited to see if the guys that installed these newer units would see positive results but they have not. They also talk poorly about long waits with technical support, and unknowable tech support operators.

Read all my posts everywhere, I defend all equipment, thats my business, and puts food on the table. As I travel, I keep hearing the opposite, Navien being taken on as Rinnai and Takagi get dropped. The Noritz group seem to have the loyal following and are in a holding pattern. As of now it appears the Quietside, Navien and Eternal is the only growing tankless.

Comment

Our local supply house quite carring them and changed to Noritz not because of problems but because they had to order to many at a time from the distributer. I have had good luck with them and haven't heard anything bad locally.

Comment

Working...
                                X