Navien tankless heaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Navien Tankless Heaters

I have read many bad things about tankless water heaters and Navien in particular on the internet. I have a Navien Combi (NG) unit running for the first winter - no serious problems as yet, although the programming seems a bit erratic. I am heating a 750 sq ft addition with radiant floor heating and DHW. If and when I do decide to go back to a tank unit I would have to put in a boiler as well - correct? What kind of NG boiler would you professionals recommend? Would it be feasible to use Combi unit for heating only and install NG tank unit?

Comment

• Navien HELP! I just purchased a new home, it has the Navien CH-240 which is approx. 10 months old. The issue is it won't seem to fire beyond minimum fire. I can get away with maintaining temperature at a faucet, even a shower which has the low flow heads. However when I attempt to fill the bathtub for the kids it will attempt to ramp up and then shutdown right away, do a purge then restart. It doesnt appear to be faulting as I dont get an error code and it restarts automatically. I've verified settings, had a plumber spend several hours troubleshooting and called Navien....no luck yet, however plumber is still following up. We've verified water pressure, gas pressure, no restrictions on intake or exhaust. It just feels like were drawing straws and I'm wasting money, but I would really like to avoid replacing such a $$$$ unit. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• how old is the home? or is the heater just 10 months old? is this a custom home 1 of a kind, or a tract home with others that have similar heaters and installs.
        the heater is still under warranty, have them replace it if they can't figure it out. have you spoken to navian directly?
        at first i was going to say gas sizing, but i sounds like your plumber already checked that?

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification of age.
        phoebe it is

Comment

• check the flow inlet screen or the flow sensor impeller wheel itself. sometimes the wheel breaks but still spins enough to provide a low flow reading.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• The home was a custom and is 10 months old. Original builder lived in it since last summer and then sold in the spring. I have spoken with Navien directly to try and troubleshoot, the plumber is following up regarding warranty info. I will look into the flow sensor impeller.....thanks.

Comment

• out here the builder is on the hook for 1-10 years. he should be dealing with it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

• Most likely it is the flow sensor, but before you go Crazy, there is a filter on these units. Shut off the water to the unit and bleed off the pressure. Look on the bottom of the unit on the cold inlet and you will see a black round plug just before the unit (unless they have changed), this is a filter. Remove the filter and clean the filter. If this doesn't fix it, then it is most likely the flow Sensor. If you remove the cover and look for a black round piece with wires coming out of it. It has clips on each end for easier removal (some models have a clip on one side and a nut on the other side). Shut the water and unplug the unit first. Open a hot water fixture to relieve pressure or the Pressure relief valve to relieve pressure. Remove the clips, remove the flow sensor. Look inside the sensor, and you may see debris. You can actually remove the inside pieces and clean it out. If this doesn't fix it, then you can check the flow sensor with an ohm meter, but you will have to get the parameters from Navien. Every Serial number seems to have different settings. These are the easiest things to look for. It could also be a faulty mixing valve, a bad computer board, a bad gas valve. All can be checked, but you would have to call tech support to walk through everything. They are usually rude and it is most likely your house causing the problem, not the unit, because according to them, you will be the only one that has ever had problems. FYI, I have put in 4 Navien 5 years ago, but have replaced 6 with tanks within the last 2 years. Figure that math word problem out for a smiley face.
                "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

• if we had TapaTalk access here I could easily post a picture of all these parts.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• Another update. The plumbing company came out to flush my Navien in hopes it would change the random water pressure loss. In the end it didn't make a difference but the guy I spoke to said they don't sell these anymore due to the overwhelming failure rate. Apparently they won't work at all in certain areas of the city due to lower pressure in the city water system. Who knew?

Comment

• Who needs the drama ? I'll stick with bradford white tank heaters .
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

• Hey gang-

Well, our 5-year old Navien NR-210A has started leaking from the Heat Exchanger. Our installer has run into this a couple time and apparently Navien is shipping entirely new warranty replacement units rather than trying to piecemeal it. I'm glad about that (although the warranty does not include Installation, so we'll be writing a pretty good check regardless).

Here's my question. Can we use the wired remote control from the old unit? In the days of the NR units, they all shipped with the wired Remote Control. A good thing for us since our unit is in the crawlspace. But apparently the new NPE-210A units offer the remote only as an optional accessory. Looking at my information, the remotes appear similar, but they are definitely not the same.

Also looking at the brochure for the NPE units, I can't believe they haven't made it any easier to access and clean the air filter screen. What a PITA having to remove the entire unit front!

Thanks for any info!

Kupe

Comment

Working...
                        X