Navien tankless heaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Navien!

Take it out and install a Rinnai. You will get better service and tech support.

Comment

Re: Help with Navien!

My installer came over last night, and said he'd just replace the unit with a new one.

I called Navien today again and got a tech on the phone, who told me to check the hoses going into the air pressure sensor. Take them off, blow them out. I did this, no help. He said too that they would just replace the unit, no problem.

After I got off the phone with him, I had a closer look at the hoses going into the air pressure sensor, and sure enough, the black hose that is around 4 inchs long, had 2 small hoses in it, on the back side of it, hidden from view! I placed my finger over the holes, turned on the unit, and it fired right up! No more struggling to work, and no more loud noises!
      I took the 4 inch hose to the supplier and they were surprised for sure. They had a unit that they were sending back to Navien, so they gave me the hose off it and I took it home, put it on, and the unit has been running great since!

Small holes, create huge problem....

Originally posted by Rueger View Post
      Hi,

I had a Navien CR-240A model installed about 3 months ago and it worked well, until about 1 month ago when the unit shutdown with an Error 10 (Abnormal Air Pressure).

When it shutdown, it was cold out probably below -30 without the wind.

I managed it get it to startup, but then it quit again a few hours later with an Error 12 (Flame Loss). I could not get it to fire, with it reporting error 3 (Iginator failed) after every reboot.

I left the next day on vacation so our installer came over a few days later and he said the unit fired right up, he didn't do anything he said.

Ever since then though, the unit has been performing not as well and now it has quit again all together. The last few weeks the unit turns on/off around 3 times when water is called, thus increases the amount of time it takes to get hot water to the tap. After the 3rd time of it turning off, it did seem to run after that. Also, during the start up and shutdown, the unit seems a lot louder, making loud humming noises, before it shuts off, then starts back up.

Also, since the unit shutdown a month ago, it can no longer heat the water in our bathtub. The unit doesn't shutdown or produce errors, it just is not able to heat the water when I turn the water on in the bathtub

The unit supplies hot water to the house as well as my radiant floor heat in my basement. We have the external circ line attached so we have the unit set to external circulation. As a test a couple days ago, I set it back to internal circulation (turned the 3 way valve and turned dip switch 5 off and 4 on), and it error 10 as soon as I plugged it in.

I switched it back to external circ setup, and it now too gives error 10 at startup and will not work at all.

I have called Navien, but they haven't called me back yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I noticed the air intake on my fan (internal one) is pointed towards the floor, and not the air intake hole at the top of the unit. Is that normal? Are yours like this?

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide

Comment

Re: Navien tankless heaters

Glad to hear it wasn't something big like some sort of design flaw

I signed up for a Navien Tech training class next month. Install and troubleshooting procedures. Promised free coffee and donuts so what could I do?

Fergusons is pushing these pretty hard so maybe I'll give it a second look for giggles

Then I'll need a ginea pig for my first install

Comment

Glad I found this place. I'm a consumer and we were looking at converting from all electric to propane. The local propane company has proposed a Navien tankless hot water heater + the heat box and tying it to my existing air handler to heat the house as well. (NAVIEN 175 MBH LP TKLS WHTR + NHB0100+HWC1520) We're in Maryland (south of Annapolis). I'm really concerned about the Navien's reliability since reading these posts. Does anyone have experience using this unit w/ an older air handler (v. radiant floor/baseboard) for heating? I was looking at going tankless for the hot water heater, but hadn't considered that we could use it for a heat source. Sorry if this is too basic. Thanks.

Comment

AquaStar - Paloma Pak - It's like Deja' Vu all over again.

Crap crap crappity crap
            sigpic

Comment

NHMaster3015Re: Navien tankless heaters
              AquaStar - Paloma Pak - It's like Deja' Vu all over again.

Crap crap crappity crap

Hi NHMaster3015,

can I ask you to elaborate a bit on the above statement? Thanks.

Comment

please save yourself the pain, Navien is not even close to fixing the problems, they want to rush a product to the market and they are paying for it. In California they are seeing a 50% failure rate that they will never admit to. The local representation acts like all is well. But they are fixing units over and over. Ferguson will realize what they have brought on to themselves by selling these units. Every good installer that has a run in with the Navien will never install another. If you want a condensing tankless check out the new Noritz or the Bosch Pro-tankless. They are a little more $$$$ but they are built so much better and most of the ex-Navien installers are now selling the other brands due to the positive success rate. Good Luck!!

Comment

they do not seem to hold up. I have heard nothing but problems and its all kind of issues. seems like they rushed it to the market before they did testing. Not good. Built cheap and thats why the price looks so good. You get what you pay for.

Comment

I have been installing tankless water heaters for almost 10 years now. Started using rinnia now install Noritz. Installed 4 Navien units do not recommend using them for larger homes with recir system had to go back and install external pump and 6 gallon unit to handle recir system in these homes. Will use the Noritz 841 model for applications where pvc vent in needed. After dealing with all the major brands of tankless without doupt the Nortiz units are the best........

Comment

Noritz is a good product depending where you live, warmer climates the better. Noritz is still having a hell of a time with their units freezing and cracking. But as for not having tech issues it is a great product along with takagi. The reason that navien has been a hit is only beacuse of the pvc venting, it is easy and cheaper. Green builders are not using using the pvc vented models because pvc is not a green product. Pvc is easy to install and you no longer have to messure, just put it on the wall and cut. Most of the up and coming installers are hacks and want the quick buck. Regardless of what tankless brands are used they are here to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoPlumbin View Post
                        Noritz is a good product depending where you live, warmer climates the better. Noritz is still having a hell of a time with their units freezing and cracking. But as for not having tech issues it is a great product along with takagi. The reason that navien has been a hit is only beacuse of the pvc venting, it is easy and cheaper. Green builders are not using using the pvc vented models because pvc is not a green product. Pvc is easy to install and you no longer have to messure, just put it on the wall and cut. Most of the up and coming installers are hacks and want the quick buck. Regardless of what tankless brands are used they are here to stay.
                        You wouldn't happen to be a regional manager for Takagi, would you?

Or even one of Paul's colleagues?

Your previous posts would indicate so.
                        Just looking for clarification

Comment

Originally posted by bezeplumber View Post
                          I have been installing tankless water heaters for almost 10 years now. Started using rinnia now install Noritz. Installed 4 Navien units do not recommend using them for larger homes with recir system had to go back and install external pump and 6 gallon unit to handle recir system in these homes. Will use the Noritz 841 model for applications where pvc vent in needed. After dealing with all the major brands of tankless without doupt the Nortiz units are the best........
                          Hey, is that you Billy?

Comment

Originally posted by riproy View Post
                            I had a Navien tankless CR-240A and the Heating Box closed circuit installed in June. This was on the advice of a plumbing contractor who is a relative, and he also did the work. This was the second Navien he had installed. It supplies us with domestic hot water and heats the recently finished basement of our 1000 sq' bungalow thru radiant floor heat.

To date (and for the record, i live in Edmonton, AB, so it is cool up here and we have been using the system for underfloor heating since last month) the ...
                            Riproy,

How is the CR-240A working for you through the winter? Would you recommend it?

We live in Calgary and are looking for a similar solution for an identical situation as yours: Small house, radiant plus on-demand, PVC venting.

There appear to be lots of issues with the Navien units.

Comment

ModCon boiler with indirect water heater.

Comment

wish i had read this thread earlier. i just installed 3 naviens in a bed and breakfast. been having issues with the boards. navien has sent me 5 boards so far and now the are sending me the computer cable to link all 3 together again. .. nothing but issues so far with these sadly

Comment

Working...
                                X