• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Navien tankless heaters

You got it, how can i help you?

Comment

Since doing away with the recir system in the naviens we have had no other issues. Still, i would stick with the noritz lots of units installed with zero issues.

Comment

Wow...this was a depressing thread to read. I just bought a new spec home in Jan. of this year, and was quite happy to see that it had a tankless hot water heater in it. Unfortunately, it is a Navien CR-240(A) and it finally quit on me today. I have been suspicious for a while as it seems to have been acting up, cycling on and off repeatedly, the remote showing that water was running when none of the taps were on, etc., etc. I've encountered every issue so far that people have posted about on this thread, but it now sounds like my "board" is done cause the unit won't even consider firing up anymore.

Unfortunately for others on here it looks like I'm not alone with having problems, and it looks like this particular model has had it's share. My biggest issue is I have NO idea who in Edmonton, AB installs or repairs these things? Can't get a hold of anyone at Navien (I guess their customer support is only M-F) so I guess I wait till tomorrow. I have however seen others post on here from Edmonton, so if any of you are reading this post and can point me to someone that knows how to get the Navi's repaird, I'd appreciate the info

For others out there considering these units, I'd strongly recommend considering some different manufacturers, even if the price of others seem higher. I'm starting to wonder if the 98% efficiency of these units is due to only 2% of them actually working so 98% of them don't use any energy at all?

Comment

Yeah, its funny, weird here how everyone hates tankless

I was playing golf with a friend this morning that has a split system, he couldn't stop talking about how 4 people live in the house, and his gas bill is $16mo, and his wife loves to cook on their commercial type Viking oven. They never run out of water, etc etc.

I have had 6 calls in the last 1.5 weeks, only one was a mechanical issue, every one elses was not installed right. A lot of plumbers hate them because they can't fix them, don't know how to install them, or just dont have the knowledge. If we still had to caulk joints, and plastic drain pipe wasn't around, I am sure plumbers would complain about that these days as the trade is getting dumb down so much. Tankless is 1 thing that can't be tought on the DIY channel.

Sorry you have a navien, they are not the best, depends on the application. Don't group all tankless in 1 group, if your an experienced service person, you would see how many are out there that are installed wrong and those are the ones that are giving tankless a bad reputation.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Wow. It's like you are living my current experience. 6 months in and I'm having the exact same issues. The supplier is replacing the entire unit because they don't know what the issue is. I love the idea of the tankless heater but my wife no longer shares the enthusiasm. Having to crawl into our crawlspace to turn the unit on everytime we want hot water will do that to you.
            It will actually be less costly for both the supplier and us to switch back to a tank heater...I'm extremely disappointed.

Originally posted by rick's plumbing View Post
            well let me share my navien experience.
            first off ive installed roughly 50+ demand water heaters.
            7of them being navien heaters , the 240 A nat gas ones.
            out of all of them, three have malfunctioned on me.
            the first one was easy, it was the flow sensor, now they have improved them , now there stainless steel.
            by simply taking the two clamps off the sensor and pulling it off and blowing on it gets it running again.
            next issue was my unit would come on , go off , come on ,go off ect. . i then phoned the navien experts , they told me my board was screwed. so i got one off the wholesaler and problem fixed.
            third unit same thing pretty much but they tell me this time my computer board is outdated. so they rob one off another unit and dammm !! some of the terminals clips dont match up.
            so now im waiting for help.
            worst senario i have another unit installed thats not used yet i am going to change the whole unit out.
            so all in all ive spent myself aprox 8 hours fixing this things with no pay.
            So you decide , i can pretty much tell you anything about these units now as im getting very sick of them .
            thanks have fun

Comment

Re: Navien tankless heaters - My Experience

Thought that I would put my .2 cents in since I have taken away a great deal of advice/helpful information from this board and others like it.

I had a Navien CR-240A (propane) installed in Dec. 08 and have had pretty much most of the problems listed happen to me (the 10/20 error message, leaking flow sensor problems, etc.). My local installer(s) are stand up guys so they kept coming out and repairing the unit each time something went wrong [must have been a dozen times easy]. The installers have installed Rinai for years and just recently took on the Navien line. I believe that I was their one of their 1st customers locally for the Navien so I guess that I have been a guinea pig of sorts.

I will say that Navien has been very willing to rectify the problem(s) each time in order to keep the unit running. Long story short - I now have a new unit which was installed yesterday. Navien took back the old unit after I explained my situation a provided a brand new unit - no further questions asked. There have been some suggested modifications of the spacing of the intake/exhaust pipes (something like a 12" separation) which will require some additional exterior work. So while I am crossing my fingers that Navien has worked out the prior kinks in the system, I will say that they do stand behind their product and are willing to make things right. When it works properly the unit is fantastic and has cut our propane bills down.

Comment

Montanaandy,

Any difficulties with the new model?

s.

Comment

Just installed one yesterday, and it went smoothly. Had 1 1/4 gas running down the wall, so it was not that bad, and the previous heaters were the Ruud, and Rheem powervent models, yes 2 50s. Not sure why 2 different brands, but whatever.

Everything went beautifully. Except for some reason the internal circ pump is apparently not working. Really gonna be irritated if this thing has the same problems posted already.

But either way, if you guys have a reputable supply house, they will take it back if you make a big enough fuss about it. Mine does anyways, Ferguson. They will definately lose my business if not. Since it was them in the first place that recommended the Navien. Really like the fact that you can use 100ft of pvc venting for these, but dude if the unit causes this much trouble...

Kinda like I always tell me helpers, you do it right, you only have to do it once.

And if this Navien gives me one scrap of trouble past this circ issue, it will be coming off the wall and a Noritz going in. My customers don't put up with crappy plumbing, and I won't ask them to put up with crappy products.

Comment

I still will not install one of the Naviens. At first I thought they where the worlds greatest since sliced bread. But After dealing with them and a few other brands I still find Noritz to be the best tankless system out there.

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post
                    Just installed one yesterday, and it went smoothly. Had 1 1/4 gas running down the wall, so it was not that bad, and the previous heaters were the Ruud, and Rheem powervent models, yes 2 50s. Not sure why 2 different brands, but whatever.

Everything went beautifully. Except for some reason the internal circ pump is apparently not working. Really gonna be irritated if this thing has the same problems posted already.

But either way, if you guys have a reputable supply house, they will take it back if you make a big enough fuss about it. Mine does anyways, Ferguson. They will definately lose my business if not. Since it was them in the first place that recommended the Navien. Really like the fact that you can use 100ft of pvc venting for these, but dude if the unit causes this much trouble...

Kinda like I always tell me helpers, you do it right, you only have to do it once.

And if this Navien gives me one scrap of trouble past this circ issue, it will be coming off the wall and a Noritz going in. My customers don't put up with crappy plumbing, and I won't ask them to put up with crappy products.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

After coming here and reading all the problems, it is just installing a liability. Absolutely no reason to even think of putting one of these in. The hassles that I am already seeing with this ONE, is FAR to many. For the price they paid for this thing, it should have gone, idk, 10 years before any sorta problem.

Comment

Ok, heres my two cents. I have installed aprox. a hundred of these units, and when the customem asks "this is a good unit right?" I feel like pulling a coin out of my pocket and telling them to call it in the air. thats no joke it seems like a 50/50 shot if this product is going to work. They always work on start-up, but for how long is anyones guess.
                        Finally, I got my boss to start installing some noritz, better unit, still vent with pvc(limited length w/3") and no call backs. The bad , more money, but I think everyone here will agree, you get what you pay for.
                        Tom.

Comment

Keep an eye out for Takagi's T-H2 in October, PVC vented price lower than Noritz, and no temp restriction like Navien. 16 temp settings, 11,000- 199,000 BTU 10 GPM on a 35-50 degree rise. 7 PSI loss thru the heat exchanger unlike the rest at 30 psi loss. Weight 70lbs, indoor and outdoor model, sealed combustion, 95% efficient, HRS35 copper heat exchanger like Nortiz, and stainless steel for the secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoPlumbin View Post
                            Keep an eye out for Takagi's T-H2 in October, PVC vented price lower than Noritz, and no temp restriction like Navien. 16 temp settings, 11,000- 199,000 BTU 10 GPM on a 35-50 degree rise. 7 PSI loss thru the heat exchanger unlike the rest at 30 psi loss. Weight 70lbs, indoor and outdoor model, sealed combustion, 95% efficient, HRS35 copper heat exchanger like Nortiz, and stainless steel for the secondary.

Sounds like the Noritz 842 Model 10 GPM @ a 35º temperature rise for Chicago water temperatures though it is 5.3 GPM @ a 70º temperature rise. 11,000 to 199,000 BTU Temperature settings of 105º all the way up to 180º (anything over 120º can cause scalding and can only be set by setting the controller in a special mode so children can not set it above 120º) Has the Heavy HRS35 heat exchanger as you stated and has the Stainless steel one for the secondary as well. Can be vented with PVC piping its 93% efficiency . But also has a built in neutralizer for the condensate drain, which is a huge importance of a tankless heater, and the cost is cheaper than their 842 model. Also the Noritz comes with the controller and the PVC adapter, where last I installed a Takagi I had to purchase the controller.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

TH2 will have a built-in controller like the Rinnai, and will also have a PVC adaptor that comes with the unit, the reason for the high temps is for the use for sterilizing commercial application, dairy farms and what not. Like most tankless you will have to go thru a code to get this high tepms for saftey. The TH2 will have 2 high temp sensors for the exhaust if temps should get over 140 degrees in the exhaust. I saw the unit and it's pretty sweet.

Rinnai ditch their efforts for a PVC unit, and will have a unit that will still us Rinnai venting but it will be plastic on the outer (like their current venting) and PP plastic venting in the iner.

So looks to be Navien (which has taken alot of Rinnai's business) Nortiz and Takagi for PVC options.

The public will decide between price, and proformance. As all plumbers do, I hate call-backs. When it is a manufacture issue that even makes it worse. For me it will be Noritz and Takagi. Navien killed me in call backs!

Comment

Ive put at least 20 in with some problems.

First it was flow sensor issues. Several circuit boards. Theres a learning curve with any new product. However being a guinnea pig has its costs too. The product is getting better and better. However using them for heating or (having a hot return water temp) kills the efficiency the point they almost dont condensate and people dont see much savings.

. However pulling combustion air in near ground level or 12 inches above anticipated snow lever can cause plugged inlet screens if you setup the recirc timer on the A model, it tends to make the unit run alot longer while maintaining the buffer tank temperature. When vented through a roof there is no issue. Alot of bugs and grass clippings can get in there. The unit uses the cabinet at the combustion air duct so when you pull the cover off the problem goes away.

We also use only CC240A models due to the warranty of using a CR as a combi unit.

Last edited by HydroGuy; 09-08-2009, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X