Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wood framing and shrinkage

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    RICKEY BOY, You didn't answer the question on air chambers. You don't use them South?
    Air chambers in N.Y.???????????? P.S. I'm not being a smart A$$ for once.
    Dude are you hitting the sauce? Your posts don't make any sense? Have you been to the doctor lately? I'm being serious. We must take care of the elderly

Comment

Why that response ? The question was, are air chambers run on hot and cold feeds in
      N.Y. What's Your problem DUDE?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

this building is one i do work at. but not this project. i was asked to inspect this before the work is done to advise them of my findings.

there are no air chambers on any of this work. in all the years of large scale new construction worked on, i can count on 1 hand the amount of air chambers we ever installed. hammer arrestors are a different story.

in the old buildings/ homes, i do come across air chambers on water and drip legs on gas.

remember out here we don't install air chambers, drip legs on gas, and we do use both black and gal. on gas

truthfully i do believe that pex will overtake copper in the coming years.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Why that response ? The question was, are air chambers run on hot and cold feeds in
          N.Y. What's Your problem DUDE?
          Many of your posts come out scrambled. Im concerned about you old fella.

Comment

Guy ,doesn't like to wipe His joints ! No air chambers! Are they code now?
            As a carpenter , I deal with this often. Before engineered lumber We used 2x12s a lot of course.Plywood buckles out . frame shrinks Ply does not great pix
            his rough in looks like some stinky dookie too.....

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              we've had discussions over the past few months talking about double drilling and wood shrinkage in new building construction.

here are a couple of photos that show a shower ruff from 1987 on a 4 story wood framed building built over a 12'' thick raised slab/ garage.

keep in mind that this is type m 3/4'' copper and is from the 3rd. floor that is under renovation.

the reason why the 1/2'' hot, 3/4'' cold risers are bowed is because the shower valve had no expansion joints/ flex to allow for settling as the wood shrunk from all 4 levels. the valve being tiled into the wall had nowhere to move. if it had an expansion joint/ flex line, it would have allowed the pipe to move separate of the valve being dragged down.

when i did new construction in this same city, we were required to double drill all the horizontal holes and also use a flex copper connector on the tub/ shower valves.

a concrete and steel studded building would have not shrunk.

rick.

Could you elaborate on the definition of double drilling. Maybe I missed it.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

shrinkage????

where you in the pool???:d
                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                  shrinkage????

where you in the pool???:d
                  it was cold and deep

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    Could you elaborate on the definition of double drilling. Maybe I missed it.

Thanks.

J.C.
                    on any horizontal line that run through a stud, you whould be required to drill a hole followed by another hole just above it. this would allow for an oval stacked hole that the pipe would sit on the bottom hole and the upper hole would allow for movement/ shrinkage without putting any stress on the piping.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, why not just drill a 1" hole for 1/2" horizontal runs? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing faster?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Rick, why not just drill a 1" hole for 1/2" horizontal runs? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing faster?

J.C.
                        We drill 1-3/8 then use isolators for 1/2,3/4 and 1".

Comment

this is from a 4 story building built in 1991 wood framed. owner complaining of excessive noise when other units above or below would run their shower.

the building actually shrunk so much to shear and bend the piping. i was able to cut it back and restore the proper alignment.

notice that the line had been repaired 2 times already due to leaks.

i cut out the pipe on the 2nd. floor unit and replaced with propress. also installed acoustoclamps to isolate the pipe from the framing as recommended by the acoustical engineer they brought in to consult about the noise. for $25,000 a month, i guess he deserves to sleep without being awoke to the sound of a shower in the stack

i was able to attach to the risers in the first floor unit. the third floor was just remodeled and they were not going to let me open it up.

the engineer will be taking sound readings tomorrow. so far without drywall or insulation, it sounds much better.

rick.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-17-2009, 03:38 AM.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X