X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torpedo?

i have heard of a method in which plumbers use a machine to "torpedo" a pipe underground without having to dig a trench. I need to run a pipe underground from the front of my house across the street, into the ravine (to relieve ground water pressure building around my house). Without getting into the legality of it I would like some questions answered:

1. What is the real term? Is it Torpedo? Can anybody rent this tool?
    2. How far can it torpedo? I need to go at least 40 feet to the other side
    3. The hydro lines are in the air; the gas line is 5 feet from the surface; the water main is 7 feet down. Is there anything else like the storm or sewage drains that could be hit if i torpedo starting 11 feet down?

Re: torpedo?

there are a number of ways to bore a hole 40'.

i own a few different machines that will do it.

the problem is, i would never attempt to run any of my machines accross a public right of way.

what size hole / pipe are you trying to run?

honestly contract out with a horizontal boring company and see if they will take on this job.

11' deep is not a simple do it yourself type of job

so i guess i'm guilty of not helping the o.p.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

directional boring may help you

Comment

I doubt that you can rent the machine for one and before any trenching is done horizontally or vertacally the dig safe people need to come out first.
        sigpic

Comment

THe tool is called a bullet. It is not a DIY toy. Eleven feet in the ground require trench boxes and special training. Call yourself a licensed and insured plumbing contractor and excavation contractor too do the job. Shooting a road requires a permit and a street bond. Now add utilities and your stirring up a can of whoopass that YOU DO NOT WANT TO OPEN. Call a professional.
          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Re: torpedos sinks nice little home

If You encroach on a county road ,or others property You'll regret the day You did it!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That's not a torpedo! THIS is a torpedo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_48_torpedo

Comment

I say go for it!! Seriously, these other plumbers are such killjoys with all this road permit and utility locates stuff. Gosh all Friday you've got just as good a chance of NOT hitting a gas main or fiber optics trunk line. What's the worst thing that could happen. Better to regret something you've done than something you didn't do.

Comment

I've been on a few jobsites that used this device. All of them were less than a 15ft run. The most recent one was 3 feet down and ran under a brick paver sidewalk from a pull box to the road to install traffic loop detectors. The other was approximately 12 feet down (they used trench boxes) to run 8 electrical conduits between a 54 inch storm sewer and 30 inch sanitary line. There's a lot of utilities that could be hit. Most private utilities are near the surface (approx 30") but can be deeper. If you hit a fiber optic line, you better take out a second mortgage on your home to pay that bill. The per hour fees for repair and down time are very expensive. Any work within public right of way will need a permit and that would require a license. I've been on enough construction sites that had gas lines, communication lines, sewers mis-marked or not marked at all that I would never attempt it. It's not worth the price you'll pay if something goes wrong. Hire a professional.

Comment

ALL OF THE ABOVE ;

BUT DON'T FORGET THE CRIMINAL PENALTIES,
                    FOR NOT USING LOCATE SERVICES, PLUS FOR DAMAGING UTILITIES,
                    THESE ARE VERY REAL COSTS
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by bacskcah View Post
                      I say go for it!! Seriously, these other plumbers are such killjoys with all this road permit and utility locates stuff. Gosh all Friday you've got just as good a chance of NOT hitting a gas main or fiber optics trunk line. What's the worst thing that could happen. Better to regret something you've done than something you didn't do.
                      Over on the 'Ask the Plumbers', I'm sure you meant this statement for the "Instructions" thread.
                      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                      X