X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victaulic coupling fit

Hi I am on a school heating remodel and am using 3" vic to start out with I have used vic in past and know how if you grove too deep it can be sloppy I am currently set up pretty tight , alot of torque and using two different style clamps any problem with the couplings not fully compressing hence the tight fit with no sag hangers are an issue and I got to take what I can get, thanks

Re: Victaulic coupling fit

Originally posted by Plumbit View Post
    Hi I am on a school heating remodel and am using 3" vic to start out with I have used vic in past and know how if you grove too deep it can be sloppy I am currently set up pretty tight , alot of torque and using two different style clamps any problem with the couplings not fully compressing hence the tight fit with no sag hangers are an issue and I got to take what I can get, thanks
    I think you know the answer here but are trying to justify not doing what you should by getting a few on here to 'buy in' on your plan.
    Your question just goes against Victaulics instruction (if you are truly using Vic not Gruvlok), and probably the other brands too. What happens when that Vic coupling blows out and floods a room full of school kids with some hot water? Will you be pleased with yourself for taking this shortcut?

Yes, hangers can be an issue. The issue is you need to install the required number of hanger and place and size them where they will support the load. You think its tough trying to find a place to hang from now. Wait and see how much of a PITA it will be to go back and retrofit the missing hangers after all the pipe and conduit and ductwork is up and the ceiling is installed.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think you misunderstood hangers are every 8 foot on posts, just curious about a few elevation drops and rises to keep plumb and using true victaulic fittings I had a firm clamp some of the other off brands were tight .

Comment

I can not make out your question(s)? Are you asking how to keep it plumb and straight?

Comment

No just want to curious if there is a disadvantage to having a tight coupling as I said some couplings fully compressed sloppy some brands on two perfect fitting grooves would not fully compress? just really wanted some input thanks.

Comment

No just want to curious if there is a disadvantage to having a tight coupling as I said some couplings fully compressed sloppy some brands on two perfect fitting grooves would not fully compress? just really wanted some input thanks.
            Are you tightening down evenly on both sides? For the most part as long as the rubber is making a good seal thats even on both sides you should be ok. The "couplings" job is to hold the rubber in place.

Comment

Definitely even tightening a couple of coupling styles dont fully compress less gasket even with two perfect fitting grooves, I made my grooves a little on the tight side anyway because I have worked with the product when someone has had toodeep of a groove and that is no good I think a fitting that is floppy and hard tomanage I just am not a vic pro I guess and want a good end product the first time thanks

Comment

you need to get the o.d. tape from vic to check the tolerance on your groove first.

Comment

You should be checking every groove to check if your within the tolerance.

Victaulic has small tape measures we use, not sure of any other methods though.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

so which style couplings are you using 07 or 77, or do you have a mix?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

dude--pbit--you have just won the award for the worlds longest running sentence--sorry, but i cant understand , as it seems like your mumbling through the computer

Comment

I found the best way to get a leak is by not grooving deep enough. If your coupling isn't fully closed you might have a problem. They make the "locking style" couplings if you want it to be ridgid. I check the depth by opening up a coupling, using one side slide it around and make sure it fully bottoms out all the way around the pipe.

Comment

What type of Vic coupling are you using 66 or 77 ? On 3" I would check my groove with a 77 coupling only. What type of groover are you using?

Comment

Working...
                          X