X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drilling story screwups

With an 8" bit in the core bore I mismarked my hole by more than 8 feet

The core ended up in the parking garage on the trunk of an Audi Quattro
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-23-2008, 07:44 AM.

Comment

In Okinawa, we got a commerical grade refrigirator/freezer, thing was huge, all stainless steel steel. These two bootcamps were told to put a lock on it and ended up drilling through the refrigerant line. I guess that nattural when you use 1 3/4 zipits. The refrigerator wasn't even a week old when they had to spend another 4k on a new one.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

P CRACK, THUD WTF !!You made Me laugh at 5:48 am
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          P CRACK, THUD WTF !!You made Me laugh at 5:48 am
          I remember looking down through the hole thinking to myself "what dumbass moved the barracades out of the way to park his car there?"

I swear I drilled 50 holes that week and that was the ONLY core that didn't get stuck in the bit

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I remember looking down through the hole thinking to myself "what dumbass moved the barracades out of the way to park his car there?"

I swear I drilled 50 holes that week and that was the ONLY core that didn't get stuck in the bit
            This sounds,so much like MY life,he he. I woulda been down at the car in a heartbeat!
            cleaning up every spec. of evidence ! Next day, security woulda shown it all to My boss on security tape!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well it didn't happen to me but it happened no too far from me. Plumber was working in the basement and accidentally drilled into the gas line. Blew up the half of the duplex he was in. Kinda makes you think to take a few extra minutes and know where you are drilling.

News story
              http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...19326-sun.html

News video
              http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/calg...ion/#clip84769

Comment

I've got one:

In my early days in business, my wife of the time would keep finding people that she thought I should hire. She decided on her cousin, who had absolutely no inertia. He would simply come to rest wherever he was.

His brain ran so slow that you could see the neurons firing through his eyeballs.

I was drilling a hydrant hole from the basement out, and I can't remember why, but probably because I wanted to keep the pipe in a wall. I told him to go outside and make sure I wasn't coming through anywhere near anything important.

He went out and as I drilled through I heard him scream.

He saw the drill bit coming through the siding and REACHED OUT TO TOUCH IT.

Luckily it was only a flesh wound. He had no pride to hurt. It was a fine day when he moved on to other pastures.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Now you know that had to hurt like hell. I hope she recovered and is able to walk OK now.
                  I don't think she is doing much walking Wouskko, the story says she died.

I don't think they can try this guy, he doesn't have enough brain cells to understand the charges that will be brought against him.

Worst "drilling" related story I can think of was when a guy I was working nearby was using a 1/2" D handle drill and his glove got caught in the chuck when he was changing bits. He fired up the drill and it knocked him off the scaffold and he fell 20 feet to the concrete on his head (hard hat fell off on the way down). He died that evening in the hospital. I was in the first six months of my apprenticeship and it was the first death I witnessed.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 08-24-2008, 09:11 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

You guys have some good ones. Crack, I bet your my brother. That is the stuff that happens to me. I laughed so hard.

I have done a few dumb drilling moves. I have affectionately named my half inch drill the "widow maker". It has the power of a gorilla on meth. I wish the drill would die.

It was just after Christmas and I received some new brad point drill bits. I went out to my shop to give them a try since I never had that type of drill bit. I held a 2x4 in one hand and the drill in the other, and yep drilled a 3/8" hole in my hand. I never went to the doctor and wood chips came out of my hand for weeks.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

To cover my tracks, I used some creative piping to utilize that hole as a cleanout

Back at the office, explaining what happened to the boss, it seems my helper barracaded off the wrong area

'Going to hell in a hand basket' I know
                      Last edited by plumberscrack; 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                        Witnessed a plumber's apprentice drill a hose bibb through the inside of a concrete laundry tub, from the outside concrete wall.

And to top it off, he still connected it to the water supply thinking nobody would care!

Homeowner was very upset. It was a 3 bay concrete tub, those real old ones that some like, a lot.
                        Concrete or soapstone?
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                        X