X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap, cheap, cheap....

I thought I was the cheapest person in the world. But I think I am beat by the majority of DIY'ers I've seen come to the Ask section. Sometimes it just seems not so smart. The most aggravating ones are the "flippers" that don't appreciate the trades. Seems alot of flippers and DIY'ers think anybody can do plumbing, hvac, electrical, carpentry etc. well.

I guess the ranted point I'm trying to get to is I don't get why someone will get on the forum for 3 days to ask about a problem, work on it for 6 or so hours, possibly have to buy tools, and still probably do a less quality job. You can't get that "wrench feel" on a few home improvement projects. All this rather than calling a qualified pro. I'd like to think they're looking for the feeling of "standing back and looking at a completed job." But that's not the case. It's just dumb cheapness.

Alot of them would come out ahead financially and get a better product if they would hire qualified people to do the work. I've learned to let others handle my electrical, painting, carpentry, hvac, mechanical etc. while I offset the cost by doing my occupation. I'm cheap, but I hope I'm not dumb cheap.

J.C.

Re: Cheap, cheap, cheap....

Good point.

I've watched DIY's stretch the smallest tasks into days on several DIY forums.

It's like a thrill seeking mission to avoid paying a pro for some, others I guess just enjoy a sense of accomplishment, bottom line is it frustrates me to watch someone pick and choose the most convenient or desirable advice and ignore the less palatable, all to come full circle and have to either hire a pro in the end or leave it hacked.

Comment

I can't believe people will actually go to the trouble spend all that time cooking and cleaning the dishes just for a meal that a poor cook trying to make a living can do for them in hardly no time and for a very small expense in the overall picture.

Just a tease boys,no reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over this one.

Comment

Try This On For Size. Get a call from a apartment complex I have not worked for in a long time (Owner thinks I charge too much) for a water heater problem. Tennant says the unit was just remodeled by owner and this was first day in unit but no hot water he had tried to light the heater himself but it would not stay lit. Open the door and guess what the DIY owner had failed to install a flue for the new gas water heater he had purchased at HD. Oh it gets better checked the furnace too no flue. Now who feel a line was crossed . I do this cheap hacker put someones lives at risk to try to prove a point.( You Know Anybody can do PLUMBING). Tennant called landlord to get him to stop in but he was too busy told him to pay me and deduct it from the rent. I Fixed the problems billed the man and was thanked for my work by the tennant for making his the first stop of the day as he admitted he would have kept trying to light the darn thing and could have then filled the apartment up and others wh/harmfull gas Well I will get off my box now.

Comment

I do my own electrical on my boiler installs. Besides many electricians here have a hard time with boiler controls. I did 99% of the electrical during renovations, although I did have my licensed friend check it before the walls were closed. I did alot of framing and tile work in my home too.

I do think it's different being that I have been around the trades my whole life, and Im not trying to make a living doing something Im not licensed to do.

Comment

On boilers I'll tackle the low stuff, my electrician hates it.

He does all 120.

Comment

I agree, cheap people can be irritating and DANGEROUS.

But, since I do have the "wrench feel" as JC eloquently puts it, I will tackle a variety of things out of my expertise, but within the realm of "mechanical".
              I know a lot of plumbers on this forum that change their own brake pads, oil, whole engines, etc. Some of that stuff can be dangerous as well. But, you've either done it as a hobby, necessity($$$), you don't have time to wait on the mechanic to get to it, or, as is often the case, you don't trust or believe that they can do the job as good as you can.

If I needed to have special software written for my computer, I'd call CPW. But if my a/c is out because ants got into my contactor, and the a/c man tells me it will be next week, you'll see me at the supply house gettin' what I need to do the work myself.
              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                On boilers I'll tackle the low stuff, my electrician hates it.

He does all 120.
                Ditto. I used to do all 120 too from the switch on, but now we have to have an electrical permit pulled anyway around here so the electrician gets most of that too. They don't really like it, cause they have to have the plumber tell them how to do it. We also have to have that extra switch on the outside door wired in too now, and locks for the fused switches for the boiler itself.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Have you seen the latest Home Depot ad? The one where the guy's got a copy of the you can do it 1,2 3 book and think's he can tackle any project.?
                  sigpic

Comment

My favorite is the chapter on boilers,aqustats,heat exchangers ect.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
                      Try This On For Size. Get a call from a apartment complex I have not worked for in a long time (Owner thinks I charge too much) for a water heater problem. Tennant says the unit was just remodeled by owner and this was first day in unit but no hot water he had tried to light the heater himself but it would not stay lit. Open the door and guess what the DIY owner had failed to install a flue for the new gas water heater he had purchased at HD. Oh it gets better checked the furnace too no flue. Now who feel a line was crossed . I do this cheap hacker put someones lives at risk to try to prove a point.( You Know Anybody can do PLUMBING). Tennant called landlord to get him to stop in but he was too busy told him to pay me and deduct it from the rent. I Fixed the problems billed the man and was thanked for my work by the tennant for making his the first stop of the day as he admitted he would have kept trying to light the darn thing and could have then filled the apartment up and others wh/harmfull gas Well I will get off my box now.
                      You did good in correcting the problem with this unit, but who protects the future renters from this hack? No permit I think is a safe bet on the part of the DIY Landlord, you were the last one in there now, so what happens if something goes wrong and it is discovered that no permit was taken out for the WH and boiler replacements? You will point the finger at the LL and rightly so but the Q will be asked why this was not permitted when the flues were installed.

How are we (the plumbing industry) "Protecting the Health of the Nation" when we don't report such obvious violations with a risk factor so high they almost scream at you? No one likes to be a rat, and no one likes to go to sleep every night knowing they could have prevented some one from being killed and didn't lift a finger to stop it. At least those who have a conscience.

Is it our job to police our trade? If we don't who will? Who loses work when these people do repairs or maintenance such as this? You might say that you get to go in and fix the mess they made and that may be true but not all of them. You might say they get what they deserve for being dumb enough to do their own work, but what about this instance where the ones who suffer (and maybe die) is someone else like a renter or unknowing home buyer?

Plumbing and Electrical Inspectors and Code Enforcement officials can't be everywhere at once, just like a cop will never be able to catch every person commits a felony or capital offense.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        You did good in correcting the problem with this unit, but who protects the future renters from this hack? No permit I think is a safe bet on the part of the DIY Landlord, you were the last one in there now, so what happens if something goes wrong and it is discovered that no permit was taken out for the WH and boiler replacements? You will point the finger at the LL and rightly so but the Q will be asked why this was not permitted when the flues were installed.

How are we (the plumbing industry) "Protecting the Health of the Nation" when we don't report such obvious violations with a risk factor so high they almost scream at you? No one likes to be a rat, and no one likes to go to sleep every night knowing they could have prevented some one from being killed and didn't lift a finger to stop it. At least those who have a conscience.

Is it our job to police our trade? If we don't who will? Who loses work when these people do repairs or maintenance such as this? You might say that you get to go in and fix the mess they made and that may be true but not all of them. You might say they get what they deserve for being dumb enough to do their own work, but what about this instance where the ones who suffer (and maybe die) is someone else like a renter or unknowing home buyer?

Plumbing and Electrical Inspectors and Code Enforcement officials can't be everywhere at once, just like a cop will never be able to catch every person commits a felony or capital offense.
                        Last year I had tested a backflow that failed all three tests, and the boiler it goes to had a bad expansion tank to boot. I was working for the company that maintains the private well for the owners of the apt complex. We filled out a report and sent it to them along with a price to correct the problems. Nothing was done, but since they had their own maintenance handyman I figured he proably took care of it, and it wasn't a municipality water supply so it wouldn't necessarily have to be retested.

We test several of these for this company, and this year that one was still bad, and so was the expansion tank. That upset me, and I wrote the company we work for a letter to cover our butts about the dangers of this situation, but the boss went one step further and wrote at the bottom that we were also sending a copy to the DEQ. I thought the company would be upset but they weren't (at least the company we work for). I think we took them off the hook with the company that owns the complex. Anyway, the DEQ called and assured us it WOULD BE taken care of. You know, w/ the srv not blowing, that water was expanding into the domestic.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Amazing how few really beleive you when you mention backflow.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            My favorite is the chapter on boilers,aqustats,heat exchangers ect.
                            I looked and I cant find that chapter, Is that before or after the chapter on gas pipe??? I found the section on Steam boilers though!!!

Comment

Hopefully there's a good section on smoke alarms, CO detectors and fire exits as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X