No announcement yet.

DIY / Flippers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know its a 10 year resurrection thread...

In this province a house inspector can be anybody. No license required, no permit nothing. Many new home owners that buy old houses are angry to find out their plumbing, electricity were butchered. They ask why did the inspector did not see this. I ask them if he was referred by the real estate agent, they almost always say yes. I have to educate them that they are usually in bed together to make a sale, the house is always perfect no repairs required only to find out its bad plus most of these inspector never held a hammer in their life!

As for DIY flippers It is illegal because they need a GC licence and they need a competence certificate for each trade if they want to do the work themselves. Its a good law but it is not enforced, no one cares, no one knows.

Comment

To continue my small rant, lets talk about General Contractors for a second. These one man GCs are obligated to hire every other trade if they don't have their journeyman certificate to work on a project. For example if they were a journeyman framer and become a GC he's only allowed to do framing and has to hire other trades. They seem to pop up like mushrooms driving brand new lifted trucks with huge wheels! Where do they get all that money? I really want to know!

I don't want to put them all in the same basket and there's probably good one man GC but what annoys me is that they don't follow that rule so they do plumbing, electricity, tile drywall etc. From the ones that called me to see their project or just spoke on the phone their previous plumber was never good enough and at the end they didn't show up several times. By that point I'm suspicious so I ask them what their budget is for the rate they give to that one man shop plumber. It feels like they are happy to say they lowball the last guy paying not much more than an employee wage. No wonder the work is done badly, the guy has to cut corners to make a little profit and eventually give up. All of the GC I've met were condescending the first time I met them. I decline their project and they still want a free estimate! HA

When I was at school to get my licence(It's the same licence as for a GC, a pre-cursor to obtain my Master plumber licence) I told the teacher that when a GC would want to hire me they'd have to give a deposit before work started just like homeowners pay a deposit to the GC. The teacher said I couldn't do that so I replied why is that the number one rule in plumbing forums is to never work for a GC? The class was muted for a while.

I'm happy to work for home owners doing service work they are thrilled their issue was resolved and their profitable plumber is happy doing quality work for them.

Comment

DIYers, Flippers and Handy hacks create more future work for us with their shitty work. The ones I'm mad at are actual plumbers that due "side work" for way less then they would for the company they work for. When I used to work for an outfit I was probably asked by homeowners about 5 times a week if I did side work, most young plumbers snatch up the opportunity to make that extra cash on the side. Don't get me started on GCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain-slayer View Post
          DIYers, Flippers and Handy hacks create more future work for us with their shitty work. The ones I'm mad at are actual plumbers that due "side work" for way less then they would for the company they work for. When I used to work for an outfit I was probably asked by homeowners about 5 times a week if I did side work, most young plumbers snatch up the opportunity to make that extra cash on the side. Don't get me started on GCs.
          Handy hacks create work for us. Let them hack away.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post

Handy hacks create work for us. Let them hack away.
            I'm not sure of that because they got the job in the first place, the homeowner keep on using them even if it fails because they don't know any better and they keep hiring them to fix the mess they did and its not expensive.

For example I get called because there was a toilet leak. the owner had hired a handyhack to remodel a bathroom the floor was rotted through. The lead flange was all mangled. I replace the rotted floor and put in a new flange. As I'm cleaning up the unlicensed tile guy walks in. The homeowner complains about my bill and I tell him when the tile is done if he lets the tile guy do it there's no guarantee. He never called me back to finish.

I often see no p-traps when I'm on a call, I let them know but they still won't let me put one in, They say it doesn't smell!

Comment

Originally posted by Pro Service View Post
              I know its a 10 year resurrection thread...

In this province a house inspector can be anybody. No license required, no permit nothing. Many new home owners that buy old houses are angry to find out their plumbing, electricity were butchered. They ask why did the inspector did not see this. I ask them if he was referred by the real estate agent, they almost always say yes. I have to educate them that they are usually in bed together to make a sale, the house is always perfect no repairs required only to find out its bad plus most of these inspector never held a hammer in their life!

As for DIY flippers It is illegal because they need a GC licence and they need a competence certificate for each trade if they want to do the work themselves. Its a good law but it is not enforced, no one cares, no one knows.
              Years ago when I had a shop had plumbers out working on soldering a repair on a leaking 2" copper water main for a condo Assoc,
              get a call from plumbers that a inspector was by and wanted to know where permit was and said work had to be done by a certifyed
              welder, so I hurry over to the job and found that the INSPECTOR was a lousy home inspector that a resident called did know what he was talking about was just a men with a busyness card,
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Pro Service View Post

I'm not sure of that because they got the job in the first place, the homeowner keep on using them even if it fails because they don't know any better and they keep hiring them to fix the mess they did and its not expensive.

For example I get called because there was a toilet leak. the owner had hired a handyhack to remodel a bathroom the floor was rotted through. The lead flange was all mangled. I replace the rotted floor and put in a new flange. As I'm cleaning up the unlicensed tile guy walks in. The homeowner complains about my bill and I tell him when the tile is done if he lets the tile guy do it there's no guarantee. He never called me back to finish.

I often see no p-traps when I'm on a call, I let them know but they still won't let me put one in, They say it doesn't smell!
                Bad enough hackery and the customer often learns their lesson. Nothing like an insurance claim to teach a customer a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post

Bad enough hackery and the customer often learns their lesson. Nothing like an insurance claim to teach a customer a lesson.
                  I wish it were the case more often! In reality ever wonder why the hack work is still holding up after decades of use!

Comment

Working...
                  X