X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 1910 pipe freezing machine,

I found this when looking at some old books and thought some may find it of interest,

Mending Pipes with Water On

Many farmers have had trouble in repairing pipes where the water could not be shut off conveniently. A lead pipe which has been cut off accidentally in making an excavation, for instance, may be repaired by the following plan: The two ends of the pipe are plugged, and then a small pile of broken ice and salt are placed around them; in five minutes the water in the pipe will be frozen, the

plugs removed, a short piece of pipe may then be inserted and perfectly soldered. In five minutes the ice in the pipes may be thawed and the water set to flowing freely again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...evices10b.html
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: A 1910 pipe freezing machine,

bhd, amazing site you posted.

now another 2 hours reading all this stuff

actually we can use dry ice/ c02 now.

i wish you posted this 15 years ago before i plopped down good money for nothing more than ice cubes

but then again without it, how would i have made my milk shake

always fun to read your post

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I thought it was done by making wooden boxes with slots in the pipe, then filling them with dry ice, then pouring ammonia over the batch. Something like that, anyway. Never did it myself.

Comment

I used to use a fire extinguisher!!!

Comment

Working...
        X