Hospital X-ray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital X-ray

I got a call from a local Hospital today. They have a drain in the x-ray developing room that the trap (under the floor) is completly rotted / eaten. The hospital has given me copies of all the MSDS's for the area and they have never done radioactive work.

The chemicals used are fairly harmless. My question is looking at the MSDS's ( letting me know reactivity, special handling and PH) how do you determine if special piping is required, is there guidance that says if the PH of the chemical is below 5 or above 10 special piping is required?

I see the need but who establishes the guidance or requirements for something like this...

I have been going through my library and am drawing a blank...

Re: Hospital X-ray

What material is installed currently?
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Old CI

Comment

manufacturer

Comment

I even have the MSDS for the special Drain cleaner they tell me they have to use...

The bottle says X-ray drain cleaner.... Thrift is what is inside

Comment

manu. of the pipe

Comment

Stoke: I'm sure the makers of the material know but do we as plumbers have a reference for specific materials?

I would ask my local supply house to give me there source for PVC but I'm sure the engineering specs would be in Korean or Chinese and of no use to me.

Comment

I had a cast iron trap rot out in a graphics studio years ago because the equipment malfuntioned. I think it was suppose to neutralize the PH before dumping.

In a hospital, I though that the health dept dictates what materials to use

Comment

Could be Crack, I'm just starting this journey. I do see that most states have special hospital requirements though Oklahoma is pretty behind on the times..

I'm currently going through ANSI standards to see if I can find any guidlines.

Comment

Replace with borosilicate "glass lined" cast iron. Get your checkbook ready. The original mechanical engineers stamp should dictate the correct material, but we all know they are human and make mistakes. The hospital could have also changed what they put in the trap without thinking of the trap at all.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      Stoke: I'm sure the makers of the material know but do we as plumbers have a reference for specific materials?

I would ask my local supply house to give me there source for PVC but I'm sure the engineering specs would be in Korean or Chinese and of no use to me.
                      Mechanical Code should give you some guidance. Having the MSDS sheets for the crud they normally send down the pipe is nice. You can check that whatever material you select will withstand attack from them. But the mix of the chemicals would be what to worry about, from a health standpoint and as far as attacking the pipe. Those MSDS sheets will not tell you how a mix of drain cleaner and developer will react. There is no way they could foresee the chemical cocktail they have created.

I would look into materials used for chem lab drains and the like.

Maybe you should be buying American made PVC like Charlotte
                      http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default...type=ChemDrain
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

It almost looks like the hospital used a standard floor drain in a converted patient room for the x-ray developing maching ( looks like an old copy machine)

This building is so old I have yet to find any purpose built piping systems with the exception of the med-gas.

This facility is not up to what any of us would think of as hospital standards. The new hospital administrator came in and fired the whole maint staff, after todays tour I see why...

I have a laundry list of issues this being the strangest so far.

Comment

sounds like the same place i do at an ent in beverly hills. just an ordinary stub out from an old wall hung lav. tapped san tee.

there should be a silver trap prior to the drain.

they finally went digital and no longer need a drain

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                          X