Where's the source?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the source?

Here's a puzzle and I sure hope someone can solve it for me.

I was called out to a duplex to repair a tub faucet. The duplex is owned by the church next door (Antiochan Orthodox, not relevant). There are two water meter boxes out front, of course. I looked in the obvious one - no meter. The old line from the house had a plug in it. I looked in the other - no meter either. Same as the first. I called the Water company. No water on their account. I turned off the water meter serving the church, all the water in the church was off but the duplex was still on!!!!
    There is an alley in the back - the sewer runs that way. No water meters in the alley.
    It is obvious that at some time in the last few years, alot of old galvanized water lines have been replaced with copper.
    I crawled under the house (I don't do that so often anymore) and I found the old galvanized line coming out of the ground and no longer in use (cut and wide open). The new copper line comes out of the ground about 6 ft from there. No indication which way it goes.
    My next step, tomorrow I hope, will be to connect my locater and trace the line outside, hopefully to its source.
    (No one is around anymore that knows who might have done the plumbing on this duplex. I doubt that it was permitted.)
    Help!
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Where's the source?

They didn't straightpipe one of the meters did they?

J.C.

Comment

New meter box's got buried under landscaping. Dig up the rose bush's to find your meter.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        They didn't straightpipe one of the meters did they?

J.C.
        Nope. Just empty space between the cock and old pipe.
        "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
          New meter box's got buried under landscaping. Dig up the rose bush's to find your meter.
          That was my suggestion to the priest as well. I hope the locater will direct me to it.

Comment

There is no meter...you heard of the parting of the Red Sea?

Comment

Your world sounds like mine or maybe everybody's. They don't call unless it's real difficult or a mystery. Keeps us in business I guess. Please let us know what you find.

Maybe it's connected to that pipe under that customers slate driveway. Better put on the Crocs.

J.C.

Comment

Someone who lived there earlier may have been a plumber and was late on their water bill. An old trick would be to dig up around that box and run a bypass around the box, leaving the meter connections there, with a hidden valve buried in the dirt on each end. Essentially making it appear as there is no water going to the building. Just something to check before going to far.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Someone who lived there earlier may have been a plumber and was late on their water bill. An old trick would be to dig up around that box and run a bypass around the box, leaving the meter connections there, with a hidden valve buried in the dirt on each end. Essentially making it appear as there is no water going to the building. Just something to check before going to far.
                  Perhaps, except I can see the old galvy line under the house disconnected and no new service has been run there.

Comment

At some point,You May discover an earlier party bootlegged the service. Question is what
                    will You do with this info? This may be post of the YEAR! We're waiting
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

had something very similar a couple years back.

the lawn sprinkler system to the 5 unit building was ruptured under the sidewalk/ driveway. none of the 5 water meters were moving and of course there was not a 6'th meter.
                      so here's the issue, i need to shut off this broken pvc line and i have no way to trace it.

i probed around the parkway and located an original meter buried from before the building was built in 1993. the owner and city had no record or bill of this meter so all the lawn sprinkler water was free for 13 years

had to rework the main to the owners meter and there went the free irrigation water.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Your world sounds like mine or maybe everybody's. They don't call unless it's real difficult or a mystery.
                        and that's why it's called WORK

steve
                        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          At some point,You May discover an earlier party bootlegged the service. Question is what
                          will You do with this info? This may be post of the YEAR! We're waiting

No, sorry, the River Birch Quiz is already the post of the year!

Comment

Working...
                          X