X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in ceiling call.

There was quite a bit of water damage. I figured it was something to do with the tub. There was, 2" DWV about 30 years old. The original leak was right next to the solder joint, then it split about an inch. The other holes are from me trying to find where the rot ends. Gotta love sweating pipe in the ceiling, and I had to remove heating duct as well. What kills me was the materials were $45! Two couplings and two feet of M copper. Pretty hard to mark that price up.

I figure a DIY'er would put a couple bands on...or some expoxy/JB weld. No in a finished ceiling!
    Attached Files

Re: Water in ceiling call.

With a pipe that rotten above a finished ceiling why would you even mess around trying to patch it? Now is the time to rip all of those copper drains out and replace with PVC. Unless you're looking for job security, in which case you can come back every 6 months and cut away a new part of the ceiling until it is all redone in copper.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
      What kills me was the materials were $45! Two couplings and two feet of M copper. Pretty hard to mark that price up.
      why not 2" dwv copper...?

Comment

Local hardware in area only had M. I cut out the bad, and replaced with new pipe.

Comment

I see this problem all the time water lines or dwv. repiping is always a good " idea" if the customer has the money but you should only give it if one you know what the cause is. ie water with low ph ect. and maybe you could install a acid neutralizer to stop the "cause" and slow the process of the pipes breaking down. my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
            why not 2" dwv copper...?
            Quality work, nice photos!

As far as I know, DWV copper is not allowed in IL. I've run into this frequently in homes built from 1975-1985. M-copper is the best bet, but god help you if the homeowner decides to dump any corrosives down the drain.

The best is the 1-1/2" drain lines on Bar sinks. The soda eats copper like it's a snack

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
              Quality work, nice photos!

As far as I know, DWV copper is not allowed in IL. I've run into this frequently in homes built from 1975-1985. M-copper is the best bet, but god help you if the homeowner decides to dump any corrosives down the drain.

The best is the 1-1/2" drain lines on Bar sinks. The soda eats copper like it's a snack
              Not true , DWV is approved for above ground W+V , check appendix A # 5 for approved materials in the Il. code book . We have done an install in Brookfield near the Zoo in the last year , C.I. below and DWV copper above , and yes it was inspected by the Brookfield plumbing inspector.
              Last edited by leakfree; 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM.
              Steve in the trade since 73 doing new residential/Commercial work

Comment

Working...
              X