Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time, and its affect on you.

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
    I am fortunate that we do mostly industrial work. Our customers are surprised if we are there less than 8 hours. My boss tells me, you have to get 40 hours on signed T&M invoices. My concern is usually strectching my jobs out.

That is one horrible way to run a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      That is one horrible way to run a business.
      You need to stop beating around the bush, this whole sugarcoating routine isn't helping...just say whats on your mind!

Comment

I don't run the business, I just work there. I am just telling you the way it is. The maintenance people love me, because when the pipefitters did the plumbing, it was two guys for 8 hours and the work wasn't done properly. Now it's one man for 8 hours, and the job is done right.

Comment

Mostly I'm noticing I'm aging; I never even used to notice a 30 lb bucket of tools and a wetvac in one hand and a 40 lb machine in the other, now I do. I used to take the stairs with all my crap as it was faster than taking the elevator and I enjoyed the exercise. Lately I take the elevator more often, and make two trips more often.

As to time spent on a job, I do try to keep it to a minimum, both to get free for the next one and because I have some pride tied to speed and efficiency. But I've learned to always take whatever time I need to know I'm not coming back anytime soon. A second trip ALWAYS burns more out of your day. Keeping the van properly stocked and equipment maintained is key to avoiding the second trip.

I have one employee, and though it sometimes galls me that I sent him to a clogged tub or sink 2+ hours ago and haven't heard back yet that it is done, I do my griping about it to the windshield, not to him. I have instead tried to instill in him that I don't care if it takes extra time to be sure it is done, or if he is stuck on something and needs help to do the job, just don't tell me it's handled and let me find out it's not. Also none of this coming back to finish up another day; finish it now, today, however long it takes as it what will take an extra hour today will take three or more with the driving and getting tools out and back and getting your head back in the job another day. Speed and eficiency will come, extra time I can create for him untill it does, poor quality work will kill the business.

More and more I am noticing that I mostly spend my time driving around... it's at least 50% of my working day.

Also I am having trouble spending downtime productively; I have many things that need doing soon, just not right now, and here I am on the forum all evening.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Time , it's all we have !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
              I don't run the business, I just work there. I am just telling you the way it is. The maintenance people love me, because when the pipefitters did the plumbing, it was two guys for 8 hours and the work wasn't done properly. Now it's one man for 8 hours, and the job is done right.
              I was talking about how your boss says you must get 40 hrs there and your concern of stretching the job out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                Mostly I'm noticing I'm aging; I never even used to notice a 30 lb bucket of tools and a wetvac in one hand and a 40 lb machine in the other, now I do. I used to take the stairs with all my crap as it was faster than taking the elevator and I enjoyed the exercise. Lately I take the elevator more often, and make two trips more often.

As to time spent on a job, I do try to keep it to a minimum, both to get free for the next one and because I have some pride tied to speed and efficiency. But I've learned to always take whatever time I need to know I'm not coming back anytime soon. A second trip ALWAYS burns more out of your day. Keeping the van properly stocked and equipment maintained is key to avoiding the second trip.

I have one employee, and though it sometimes galls me that I sent him to a clogged tub or sink 2+ hours ago and haven't heard back yet that it is done, I do my griping about it to the windshield, not to him. I have instead tried to instill in him that I don't care if it takes extra time to be sure it is done, or if he is stuck on something and needs help to do the job, just don't tell me it's handled and let me find out it's not. Also none of this coming back to finish up another day; finish it now, today, however long it takes as it what will take an extra hour today will take three or more with the driving and getting tools out and back and getting your head back in the job another day. Speed and eficiency will come, extra time I can create for him untill it does, poor quality work will kill the business.

More and more I am noticing that I mostly spend my time driving around... it's at least 50% of my working day.

Also I am having trouble spending downtime productively; I have many things that need doing soon, just not right now, and here I am on the forum all evening.
                Of all the replies that have been made in this thread so far, I think this has been one of the most responsive to the original question. In addition I believe it shows a excellent perspective on managing an employee in training (apprentice in this case) and a overall outlook on the daily struggle of putting out a quality product while being as efficient as possible.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I agree Bob. Good post Ace.

Speed comes with experience is a given. What I am talking about is how time affects you daily on the job and at home.

I struggle with this daily as I try to make my boss happy and meet his scheduling requirements, while doing a through job for the customer, yet getting home in time to spend a hour or so with my boys.

In my case I arrive at work and am given three work orders. I look them over and can pretty much tell how long it will take. When I arrive on the first job I go to replace the water heater because it's leaking. When I pull the W/H I find a total mess of plumbing behind the W/H and the wiring for the W/H does not have a ground.

Now as a employee I have to really weigh my response. The boss doesn't want excuses, they want it done. The customer doesn't want problems, they want it fixed. The two other customers don't want rescheduled, they already made a special point to be there. That is how my time struggle begins. I often question if my standards are too high.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

"I often question if my standards are too high."

No, I don't think that they are too high. I think that during the course of any given day where you have multiple tasks scheduled to complete everyone involved (from the client or HO all the way back to the Manager/Supervisor level) has to understand and allow for circumstances beyond your control and for existing conditions that could not be reasonably anticipated before hand.

To do less than is required to restore the system to the required configuration that meets code and results in a quality product is not in the best interest of the individual performing the work or the company they work for (if not one in the same), and it will not result in a relationship of trust or respect with the client/customer once they realize that less than the required amount of work or diligence was performed on your part.

While they may not be happy about an added expense or for the next person on your list to be waiting an extra hour ultimately I think the best course is to maintain your high standards and do the job right.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      "I often question if my standards are too high."

No, I don't think that they are too high. I think that during the course of any given day where you have multiple tasks scheduled to complete everyone involved (from the client or HO all the way back to the Manager/Supervisor level) has to understand and allow for circumstances beyond your control and for existing conditions that could not be reasonably anticipated before hand.

To do less than is required to restore the system to the required configuration that meets code and results in a quality product is not in the best interest of the individual performing the work or the company they work for (if not one in the same), and it will not result in a relationship of trust or respect with the client/customer once they realize that less than the required amount of work or diligence was performed on your part.

While they may not be happy about an added expense or for the next person on your list to be waiting an extra hour ultimately I think the best course is to maintain your high standards and do the job right.
                      Why can't everyone who runs a company have the same outlook as you?

The guy I work for is always wondering what is taking so long when jobs go longer than they are suppose to. He used to do plumbing work but is too busy doing estimates, etc. Also, he's the type of guy that won't spend 30 minutes to run for a part if he can make it work a different way. Even though he can be pretty knowledgeable about a lot of things, he is somewhat of a hack in my book.
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                        When I pull the W/H I find a total mess of plumbing behind the W/H and the wiring for the W/H does not have a ground.
                        So what did you do in this situation? I'm curious as to what others would do, too.
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          I agree Bob. Good post Ace.

Speed comes with experience is a given. What I am talking about is how time affects you daily on the job and at home.

I struggle with this daily as I try to make my boss happy and meet his scheduling requirements, while doing a through job for the customer, yet getting home in time to spend a hour or so with my boys.

In my case I arrive at work and am given three work orders. I look them over and can pretty much tell how long it will take. When I arrive on the first job I go to replace the water heater because it's leaking. When I pull the W/H I find a total mess of plumbing behind the W/H and the wiring for the W/H does not have a ground.

Now as a employee I have to really weigh my response. The boss doesn't want excuses, they want it done. The customer doesn't want problems, they want it fixed. The two other customers don't want rescheduled, they already made a special point to be there. That is how my time struggle begins. I often question if my standards are too high.
                          I always figured my services were for sale not my Standards. We are the professionals and it is our job to inform the lay person what must be done.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                            So what did you do in this situation? I'm curious as to what others would do, too.
                            I did the right thing, HoA. I ran new wire from the disconnect to the main and to the W/H. I reworked the plumbing eliminating several old unaccessible, unnecessary gate valves. Reworked the 1/2" cold water supply and made it 3/4". Removed the galvanized, flare, & compression fittings.

In the end, the customer made a comment about how long it took, even though I explained all that I done. I had to reschedule one appt., which was fine, but I really hated making that call. Then I let the boss know what was going on and found out he gave her a installed price on the W/H, which means she won't pay for all the extras and we lost some money on it.

Who's the hero now?

Bob D. I really liked that post and I printed it out. Thanks
                            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                            X