X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time, and its affect on you.

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Time, and its affect on you.

I am my employee. I know what my limits are, and reasonable times to do things. But when I worked for the other guy, thats all they did was talk about time. Must be a sickness.

Comment

Speed comes with experiance. So does hyper-tension and a bad back.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        If you can't clean a drain in 15 minutes you surely are incompetent?

i take as long as it takes to get the job done correctly.

How does time affect your way of handling a job? Does your level of doing a job the same for a well to do person as it is for person that is obviously struggling to get by?
        i take as long as it takes to get the job done correctly. sometimes i bill accordingly.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

unfortunately time has always been the clock we most judge others and ourselves by. as a young plumber it was seldom said good job as a business owner its now become how much can i get done and how fast can i do it, and the sad fact is iam very much aware of the mental and physical damage its doing, but its very hard to reprogram so many years of doing what you know, but iam trying, life is so limited by time which will eventually grab us all! some sooner than others.

Comment

I spend half my day going back to clean up leaks and faulty repairs of the younger faster guys

I remember being the younger faster guy and getting bitched out for sloppy work

the cycle continues....

Comment

When someone asks me "When will you be done?" I usually tell them "When you see the truck leave and not come back." We laugh, they leave me alone.

J.C.

Comment

Sometimes I let time get to me, get done with a job and give it that last look over and say WHAT TOOK ME SO FRIIGGIN LONG TO DO THAT! II am not a production guy, just a one man gig. As long as I'm happy with the job that's all that matters. I'll admit I spend alot of time thinking a job through, I like things pleasing to the eye. Even a nonplumber can tell if something does not look right. I don't really care if it is being covered up. I will adjust my billing if I feel I've spent to much time " thinking about it" I'd never make it as an employee these days

wookie

Comment

i typically have a general idea of what my day will look like. as mentioned before, with experience, comes speed.

the variables are the mystery jobs that come up.

being only 1 man i take on jobs that i know i can do by myself.

sure it would be nice to have help, but it's still a 1 man job.

with proper planning, equipment, experience, 1 man can do the work of 4.

strength is not the real factor.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I have been working in a flat-rate model for years, so 'clock-watching' hasn't been much of any issue at all. I just try to get it done, so I can get paid.
                    the only days that I really worry about time, is when I have a lot of appointments scheduled in one day. I find myself frantically watching the clock, hoping I am not excessively late for my other appointments.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Organization vs time.

On a week of back to back 10 to 12 hour days, my truck gets messy, it's unavoidable.

The trick is keeping my tools & stock where I know to find them, regardless how much a rush I'm in to get to the next job, five minutes to organize will save an hour rummaging for a simple fitting or tool I need to finish any given job.

Money vs time.

When I get the impression I'm being price shopped on a job thats too small, I often overbid to get off the phone.
                      The mental image of racing against the clock to make crap for money reminds me that there is a difference between manual labor and a skilled trade.
                      I'll let the guy thats willing to work for food take that job.

Comment

I have GO FAST in my blood. When a boss or customer tries to start my GO FAST, it just doesn't run.

Comment

I worked with one guy from the south. The forman was trying to push him to hurry. He told him "I know two speeds, if you don't like this one than you surely won't like the next one."

Comment

I do everything at the last minute, seems to give me the most personal time, even though it's a rush like crazy to get things done.

I make some of my best business decisions with minimal budget requirements, most creative business ideas when I'm forced on a deadline with less than 48 hours to go...

Blame it all on Jack Palane's Power Juicer; he must have the inside of that equipment laced with cocaine or somethin'.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I am fortunate that we do mostly industrial work. Our customers are surprised if we are there less than 8 hours. My boss tells me, you have to get 40 hours on signed T&M invoices. My concern is usually strectching my jobs out.

Comment

Working...
                              X