X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules for employees or helpers

This was a thread from another forum and I thought it was very interesting. Here's mine:

-Don't talk to my boss without talking to me first if there's a problem.
    -No tools on anything up high, stud wall, ladder, etc.
    -wipe pipe dope off the tools and treat them with respect.
    -You smoke and work at the same time, no desingnated smoke breaks when on a construction site.
    -I learned this from my Mom who grew up on a farm, "never walk empty handed". You always got something that needs to come back or go in the project. Maximize your time.
    -Watch what the person next to you is doing and be one step ahead of him
    -If I'm working, you better be doing the same or asking me what needs to get done next.
    -The excuse "I'm just a helper" doesn't cut it in regards to workmanship. Always do the best job you can.
    -And last, this will blow my top, say the words "can't see it from the shop" or "f*** it, bury it"
    Last edited by gear junkie; 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM. Reason: because I have free will.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Rules for employees or helpers

Cover your work area!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      -You smoke and work at the same time, no desingnated smoke breaks
      I would disagree if you are a service plumber. Unless the customer smokes in their own house and you see it, you better not light up.

Comment

If I ask you to do something, you do it. If you don't do it, you better have a damn good reason why not

We're not on this job to make friends with all the other workers. Save the socialization for the weekend

If you can't work and talk at the same time, then don't stop work just STOP TALKING!

If you make a mistake don't cover it up with lies

Don't tell me it's 100% done when it's not done

I don't want to hear how slow they are at the supply house when you were the one jellyrolling about the Sunday football game

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          I would disagree if you are a service plumber. Unless the customer smokes in their own house and you see it, you better not light up.
          I agree 100% and phrased it wrong. When I said smoke and work at the same time I meant this on a construction site and not a customer's house.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Like a faithfull family dog, you should be at my side ready to anticipate my every whim and desire. You should happily fetch for me any tool or item that I may need. You should treat me with respect and wonderous awe for the years of knowledge I have and my unsurpassed technical skills. You should be willing to bring me coffee and to clean my tools and van without being asked. You should be loyal and defend me even when I am grossly wrong or out of line and lastly you need the reflexes of a cat so that when you screw up you are able to deftly dodge the 18" pipe wrench sailing twards your noggin.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

cpw, while I agree with you on working in someones home you left out a important bit of info:

"...on a construction site."
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                cpw, while I agree with you on working in someones home you left out a important bit of info:

"...on a construction site."
                cpw had it right, I changed my post to better reflect cpw's point. Sorry for the confusion.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

For myself:

Rule #1
                  Remember what was done to me that I disliked and not do that to others.

Understand that learning the trade can be stressful. Mistakes will be made unintentionally.

Be kind to other plumbers, they may be your boss someday, apprentice or not.

The only rule I have for employee/coworkers is, don't touch my tools or whistle at me.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

rules i have 4 my guys--

1- always on time or find another job
                    2- if u dont know, ask---my phone is on 24 hrs a day---even on vacation--it does not have a off button
                    3- always try your hardest
                    4- look professional and be professional
                    5- be neat
                    6- use your brain--know whats going on around you
                    7- use the drum machine- its the smartest option available--no mess, less time,less physical abuse

Comment

Oh yes, your lips must be at constant readyness to kiss my *** whenever the opportunity arises.

This is just way too much fun, can we get serious here?
                      sigpic

Comment

cpw had it right, I changed my post to better reflect cpw's point. Sorry for the confusion.
                        I totally agree that you should not be smoking in a customers home or property. whether the customer smokes or not I think it is a bad move.

And yes, I smoked for many years but quit Labor Day weekend four years ago. But that's not why I think it is wrong. I didn't smoke while on a customers property period. It was my personal choice not a company policy. I just felt it looked bad and I have more respect for someone's property than to be smoking in their home.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Damn edit feature. Thanks for sticking up for me. I completely understand where you're coming from. If you're working, you should be working not smoking or shooting the breeze.

Though now in NY, you can't smoke in the workplace [because you are subjecting your coworkers to second hand smoke]. This is the justification for no smoking in bars & restaurants; the bartender and waitress has to work there.

Comment

damn it, you shouldn't be smoking at all! Smoking will stunt your growth and kill you. Didn't your pappy teach you anything?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              damn it, you shouldn't be smoking at all! Smoking will stunt your growth and kill you. Didn't your pappy teach you anything?
                              No, he didn't! But after 38 years, I quit.
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X