X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power rodding frustrations-

I rod with a K1500A. Works great, has power etc. The other day I rodded a 4 inch CI line 80', broke the clog, pulled the cable out and C cutter had nothing on it. So begin flush tests with paper and running water. Cloggs back up. This time rod 110' and the clog will not break, cable hardly moves, binds up etc. I only had 115' with me. Manually pull back the cable...nothing! This run would have about another 60' to the street, in order to maybe push the clog into the main. Well, going to get a locator, and go from there. Spent 2.5 hours on the job, I feel anymore time spent rodding would be a waste. Especially not getting anything on the cutter. And the customer is paying...There are two huge trees over the run. The line is about 4-5' deep, maybe.

Re: Power rodding frustrations-

I hate not having enough cable with me. Doesn't look good in front of the customer either.

Are you saying if you had more cable you would be about to push the blockage to the main? or are you stuck at 110 feet out?

Have you tried other heads? Try a retriever head to find out if its roots or broken. The C cutter rarely brings anything back. The 1500 is the best machine for a hard stoppage. I can't remember not being able to clear a line with it.

Comment

The 1500 is the strongest machine----ever--ridgid owns that title

anyway, the 1500 will go through anything--i have about 25 different heads for mine--sometimes you have to start small and work ur way up---i have 240 ft for mine and take all to each job--4 heavy cages--if the pipe is collapsed, you might not get through--but if its blocked, that 1500 will do it--it will do what others wont--its a monster--i use only if my drum machine cant get through, but that is yet to happen--try it with other heads--i like the c cutters and the hd root cutters--they work well---some times u really gotta work on it, but u have the beast, so u will prevail

Comment

I carry 180' in the truck of 7/8. The longest I've ever snaked out to was 156'. I've found the c-cutter to be the least effective of all my cutters. The only time I prefer them is when I'm snaking out to a septic tank.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          I carry 180' in the truck of 7/8. The longest I've ever snaked out to was 156'. I've found the c-cutter to be the least effective of all my cutters. The only time I prefer them is when I'm snaking out to a septic tank.
          Not that I will ever snake out a septic tank here in the city but why the C in this application?...just curious

Comment

The K1500 is what I use also. I have had ones that I could not get open and since we don't own a see snake I can't even tell the customer what is going on.

The last one I had was not fun. I left feeling defeated. I ran into the homeowner a while back and they told me that the school system had ran a fiber optic line right through their line. I felt relieved it wasn't just me.

When I go to work for another company someday that's going to be one of my questions during the interview. Do you own a see snake?
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Not that I will ever snake out a septic tank here in the city but why the C in this application?...just curious
              Because if I ever ran into the tank, the tapered back edge of the cutter would be less likely catch on the inlet pipe than the right angle of the spiral blade.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have no idea how and where it runs. I have always used the C cutter for roots. It tears them up, and brings them back. I did not even have roots inside the cable, or caught in the spiral. I avoid the retriever, mainly on old cast iron lines...seems to bind up.

Are you guys saying I should try it again? I do have another 45' in boxes in the shop. I dont know if it would hit the street though.

Part of me wants to run it again. This guy is not made of money either...but then again, another $200 or so vs. $5000 does not seem that bad either.

Comment

I think you should get more cable and try an auger/retriever first before doing any digging. I can always open any line with a auger/retriever then I go with a 2 blade cutter to clean the line. If you think the line has a problem that needs repaired use a camera and make sure it`s all that bad first ;0

If there are tampons they will spin around with the cutter and you wont bring the roots back as you cant get to em
                  the retriever will screw in to what ever is blocking you from going any further.

Just me $0.02 and not worth much as I use drum machines
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 09-01-2008, 01:25 AM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I say if your still moving the blockage get more cable and keep trying that will be cheepest for the customer. I keep 200' on the van but it aggrivates me that we should ever have to go much over 100'.

Comment

I will call the customer and run that by him. I will post results. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                        I have no idea how and where it runs. I have always used the C cutter for roots. It tears them up, and brings them back. I did not even have roots inside the cable, or caught in the spiral. I avoid the retriever, mainly on old cast iron lines...seems to bind up.
                        Whenever this happened to me, I knew it was something big. Something Rick taught me it works well is to run the spiral blade foward and once you break through the stoppage, run the machine in reverse and it'll act like a big hook catching whatever you busted through.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sounds like you are pushing an object. Have a camera? Get the thing to drain with a very small bit then have a look to see what you are fighting. Once you have enough information about the nature of the problem, the corrrect action to take will be obvious.

I give the customer the option...'This is not a straightforward job. We can dig it up, and that will cetainly fix the problem, but that will be this much $. For this much $, I can get some more cable, get the camera, whatever, and continue, but I can't guarantee success; we might be digging anyway.' I generally suggest that they let me continue, especially as if nothing else locating the line for the dig is worth the camera charge.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

So what were the results?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I was waiting this out before posting anything. I called yesterday, and he said the line was draining fine. I am not shocked, told him I would keep my fingers crossed etc. I have heard head pressure push floating clogs free. I will check with him in another day.

Comment

Working...
                              X