Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hospital Nightmare part 2

I will have to give Kohler a call...LOL

I have been going through Kohler 300-306 Diagrams and they are not the ones I have.

Thank god the stops on these valves are still working....

Comment

I'd have at least tentatively suggested whole valve & fixture replacements by now.

We're not talking a lil' old lady on a fixed income here.

Comment

That valve looks like a commercial grade Coralais. Probably the o-rings in the control stem blew out. They can be easily rebuilt once you have the right parts in hand...getting a hold of the proper parts is the hard part.

They have integral stops, so you can shut off each valve and take out the cartridges for identification without shutting down other fixtures.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

swap them out for a symons, i wouldnt go with anything else in a commercial application like this! take a pic of the guts and I can probably identify, try this place

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            I'd have at least tentatively suggested whole valve & fixture replacements by now.

We're not talking a lil' old lady on a fixed income here.

Duck, you are right money is not a problem in a hospital but scheduling downtime and getting empty patient rooms is.

Comment

Just called Alfano and am sending them pics.

I also have email in to Kohler, Furgesons and local supply house headquarters.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                swap them out for a symons, i wouldnt go with anything else in a commercial application like this! take a pic of the guts and I can probably identify, try this place

http://www.alfanoplumbingparts.com/
                Thats exactly what I meant.

Here we do Symmons everywhere, not just commercial.
                They're made in MA, so we have a strong affinity for them.

The more recent Allura trims have added to their popularity, meaning you no longer have to settle for the old chrome style trim.

I'd guestimate as much as 70% of households have them here already.

Comment

Aww man......saw the thread title and thought this was a thread about a teenage-slasher-haunted-hospital horror flick.

I'm going now..........
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

39 Years of Service and Knowledge !
                    • Plumbing Repair Parts for Commercial, Industrial & Residential Faucets
                    • Authorized Distributor for most Faucets, Flush Valves & Commercial Plumbing Parts
                    • Have Extensive Parts for Ridgid, General, Marco & Spartan Sewer Machines
                    • Replacement Valves for American Kitchen, American Standard Fiesta & Hotpoint Sink Combinations
                    • Have the exclusive American Standard Push Pull Replacement Units
                    • Inventory of over 25,000 parts
                    • Knowledgeable in the field of parts & the valves they are used on
                    LEAKS
                    ARE
                    EXPENSIVE!
                    Size of Leak:Gals. Wasted
                    Per Month
                    1/32 inch4,8001/16 inch10,2001/8 inch76,900Regardless of the size of the leak, it
                    represents waste! In faulty, worn-out
                    faucet washers, tank balls or joints.
                    An average cost of 26¢ per thousand
                    gallons of water will quickly show the
                    cost of even the smallest leak.1/4 inch307,7003/8 inch692,400 © 2000 by M-One Specialties, Inc.Web site by Highland Technologies Corporation
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I can't thank you enough BigJim

You hit them both spot on!

Comment

"This kid, BigJim, comes out of nowhere for a shot at the title and bam! scores a knockout in the first round."

Sweet.

J.C.

Comment

Aha! That's the kind I rebuilt that the owner had the parts for. I couldn't believe it works. It seems either over-engineered or like something inspired by a strong dose of LSD.

All the Kohlers of that similar type are a bit strange.

Comment

I'm guessing both
                            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Kohler Niedecken- We have repaired alot of them in this area. You can easily buy all the parts you need to return them to a like new condition.
                              I do not have the part numbers here but what you need is: the Yoke assembly, a washer and seat set (comes with gasket. Sometimes a new stem is required ( there are two different types). A special wrench is required to remove the seats,( you could fabricate one by cutting down a socket wrench so that it fits the very shallow seat).
                              Be certain to also install the "bent" copper washer that goes behind the seat. Also be certain to scrape off all of the old gasket when you remove the cover. ALWAYS install a new gasket.

The yoke assembly comes assembled with a rubber band around the plungers, be certain to notice how the old comes out, i. e. which is hot, which is cold. Their cross sections are very different. If you buy both kits (1- yoke assembly, 1- washer/seat kit,) you will have some extra parts. Hodes carries the kits. Ferguson around here stocks some parts but the employees really do not know anything about them

You also have to be certain you have the correct yoke as some fit with the protrusion up and others with it down. Once you get it figured out, repairing Niedecken's can be fun and profitable. Do one and then order the parts in quantity.

I am not at the shop now but I think we also have a special tool to remove the packing nut. If you grease everything with plumbers grease these valves will operate like new and you save the customer the expense of breaking out the tile. I even grease the cap screws that hold everything together, makes it easier to take apart the next time.

They also have a temperature limit screw, but that usually is frozen in place and is best left alone.

If you need more info PM me and I'll try to answer your question. Or send me a ticket to OK and I'll be glad to repair the first one for a nominal fee. You can watch!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
                                Now, doesn't that sound like fun?
                                You might be able to fabricate a spindle bushing wrench,
                                but you would have to know what it looks like.
                                After-market stem parts just aren't good quality.
                                You would not have to remove any more tile than could be
                                covered by the new valve plate, or at worst a remodel plate.
                                This may be able to be done. But remember, active hospital. The water can't be shutdown and if it's like most-mystery shutoffs that don't work.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X