X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hospital Nightmare part 2

Originally posted by Big Jim
    F.Y.I
    Here's what the spindle bushing tool for the Niedecken looks like.
    Uh oh I see a K-60, Rick will be on in a few minutes to comment now.... he has a sixth sense about these things

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Uh oh I see a K-60, Rick will be on in a few minutes to comment now.... he has a sixth sense about these things

i'm up in the air on this one

a k-60 proudly displayed and clean

a dirty k-40 stashed below

i guess big jim is a sectional man

welcome big jim

rick.

phoebe it is

Comment

yeah but the k-60 is wearing a seatbelt, the k-40 is bouncing around!!! You can see who he cares about!

Comment

I never even thought of that...
          Break ouit the K-60, your shower valves are fixed!

Comment

Sorry Big Jim-That is not a wrench for Niedecken stems or seats. I'm not looking for an argument, I'm only trying to help out a fellow plumber. It is much better to have the work repairing 47 valves and retain a customer than to lose a (potential) customer because you only want to replace the valves at considerably more expense and disruption.

By the way, the pictured valve has built in stops so repairs can be easily done with out shutting down the whole wing (if the stops hold!)

i will try to get pictures of the wrenches posted over the week end.
            Last edited by APHCO; 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM. Reason: correct spelling and add content

Comment

Kohler has the wrench in stock... $54 as well as most of the parts I have looked up...

K60 is my machine of choice as well

Comment

I went through and got a bit of a mixed bag for the first rebuilds

Order Items

ITEM SKU COLOR/FINISH ITEM PRICE QTY TOTAL GP30294-RP
                VALVE REBUILDING KIT

GP30294-RP ROUGH PLATE $9.20 1 $9.20 22132
                WASHER, .699 X .822

22132 $1.00 4 $4.00 22129-RP
                SEAT

22129-RP ROUGH PLATE $4.70 2 $9.40 30094
                SHOWER YOKE & PLUNGER SP

30094 $59.70 1 $59.70 22117-A
                WRENCH, BUSHING

22117-A $54.80 1 $54.80 21773
                SPINDLE BUSHING

21773 $7.80 2 $15.60 30092
                BATH YOKE, NIEDECKEN

30092 $57.20 1 $57.20 22139
                NUT, .937-14 MODIFIED

22139 $10.80 1 $10.80 21981
                STEM PACKING

21981 $0.90 4 $3.60
                Items:$224.30Shipping & Handling:$14.99Taxes*:TBD ORDER TOTAL:$239.29

Comment

DId you turn the screws on them for the Kohler Lifetime Warranty?

J.C.

Comment

I can't even get a reply back to an email...LOL

One of the customer service people asked me to provide a reciept for the shower valves

Kohler customer service has been tried and found lacking.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                      I can't even get a reply back to an email...LOL

One of the customer service people asked me to provide a reciept for the shower valves

Kohler customer service has been tried and found lacking.

Okie
                      Told ya.

Comment

Okie Bill- I don't know where you are ordering from, but the parts should cost less than $ 100.00 plus the wrenches which are a one time purchase. I don't know where you got the above prices and item numbers, but they are incorrect. What city are you in, don't they have any parts suppliers? Hodes has some of this stuff as does other parts specialty houses.

The Washer, Seat, Gasket, and packing are #30090 @ about $20.00

The Yoke assembly is #30093 ( for shower) @ about $ 60.00
                        Combining these two packages gives enough of a rebuild for most valves,and you will have some washers and gaskets left over.

You may get a discount from these prices. I don't know the wrench part # but will try to find out.

Comment

APHCO: I ordered all of these parts from the Kohler website. I ended up buying multiples of a few of the items. My supply house is clueless if it is not in there book.

BigJim: THe wrench I bought is the 22117 bushing wrench. 22172 is not showing as a good number.

I also bought the Kohler rebuild kit for the sink valves to try out.

Wednesday is the first day of scheduled repairs (if the parts get in)

Comment

hope it goes well for ya, OB

Comment

Okie Bill-Now we're on the right track!
                              Big Jim's info is right on except that we have never found rebuilding Niedeckens to be a problem,BUT, that could depend on the water in your,or Big Jim's, area. Here, near Detroit, we have good soft, lake water that does not play havoc with the plumbing brass. A Niedecken repair does not take an hour, at least around here.
                              I went through our Niedecken repair kit today and here are the correct parts numbers:

30090-Repair Kit( Gaskets,stem packing,washers, seats, seat washers made of copper)

30092 (or 22213)-Yoke assembly for bathtub

30094 (or 22209) yoke assembly for shower

22909-Short spindle(actually it is a stem)

22124-Long spindle

The seat wrench is 11/16, but as Jim said it is thin walled, although some standard long sockets will work. If you buy Kohler parts there is an instruction sheet inside that has good hints on disassembly and reassembly.

The "special" wrench is only required if it is necessary to remove the spindle nut which is located under the packing. Most of the time the stem does not need replacement and you would not need the wrench. The drawings of the wrenches posted by Big Jim look to be accurate.

If you get involved with this make certain to use plumbers grease on the stem threads and the yoke assembly as well as on the inside of the seats. New parts, greased up well work as smoothly as new.

As for these valves being a piece of junk, that is not accurate. Years ago these were a "spec" valve, specified by engineers for hospital and school jobs and around here they were used in high end homes and condos. These jobs, especially hospitals, do not specify junk.

Big Jim: Where did you find that picture of the wrenches? Do they sell the parts and wrenches?

Comment

"The seat wrench is 11/16, but as Jim said it is thin walled, although some standard long sockets will work. If you buy Kohler parts there is an instruction sheet inside that has good hints on disassembly and reassembly.

The "special" wrench is only required if it is necessary to remove the spindle nut which is located under the packing. Most of the time the stem does not need replacement and you would not need the wrench. The drawings of the wrenches posted by Big Jim look to be accurate. "

I took a deep 11/16 socket and put it on a grinder to narrow the walls, then flatten it on the wratchet end so I could use a crescent on it. Works great! The special wrench could probably be made to but I got mine years ago and don't remember where from. I only had a problem rebuilding these the first couple times, cause they were a little intimidating at first. Kinda like a Leonard valve.
                                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                                X