Hospital Nightmare part 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital Nightmare part 2

I thought I would throw this out to all you... I have zero Kohler valve experience so the ID on these fixtures is giving me fits First some pics....

21 of these ( leaking packing / seal around the stem)...

47 leaking HW and CW Kohler wide spread sink valves... Of course I forgot to take a pic of the valve body under sink (#$@#@!)

This is just the tip of the iceberg...

This whole hospital is done in kohler fixtures. I'm guessing these are circa 1965-1970.

Any info I can get about these fixtures or a lead on repair parts for these gems would be greatly appreciated

Re: Hospital Nightmare part 2

Looks like someone has got a good $$$ job! Glad for you. Beats some of that stuff you run into in "Hacktown, U.S.A."

Rick can probably help. He was 45 around 1960 I think.

Or someone wake Carl. He LOVES Kohler.

I'll try to find parts but someone else will probably be faster.

Now, can you identify the valve parts in my "Interesting to me" thread?

J.C.

P.S. Be careful. It looks like you have electricity in that wall near the shower valve.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I fell into this one in a good way...

As luck would have it I fixed the hospital administrators mothers gas line so she refered me.

Gotta love word of mouth

Hacktown is still alive and well ( I have been so busy with this hospital I have not posted any good pics lately).
      Last edited by OkieBill; 09-02-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

21 R LEAKING---DEFINATELY CRAP KOHLER-----BE SMART AND INSTALL MOEN---OBVIOUSLY, THEY DONT WANT 21 MORE PROBLEMS IN 5 YEARS---GET RID OF THE CRAP

Comment

Geez, but I hate those Kohler valves.

I have had fits with them. I did rebuild one of the old brass shower ones a while back. But the customer already had all the parts. The basin probably just uses the standard valvet units. I had a pile of them hanging on the pegboard in the shop and all the plastic "seals" on the bottoms cracked hanging there. Unreal.

Your parts may or may not look like this set from the Rite Temp:

I'm not familiar enough to know from the bonnet.

Comment

I plan on a fixture upgrade but I need to get the fires in this place put out... The plan is to rebuild them first than schedule patient room down time for the refits.

I have to get a few people to agree on exactly what fixtures to use ( ADA / hospital grade / style / finish)...

Comment

Do the stops on the shower valve work? If so, dismantle it. I know I've seen that body but they can change the internal valve design. Seeing the internals always helps.

Same with the lav. I want to say they're the small cartridge type but could be talking out my a$$. If someone doesn't ID it post the internal pics and I'll bet someone will probably even be able to name the part#.

It can also be on the Kohler Parts website but that can be aggravating in my opinion. I get lost.

J.C.

Comment

Kohlers website is crap, just like their product

Comment

And so is kohlers so called customer service---crap crap crap

Comment

I will go back tomorrow and tear down a sink and take pics of the parts.

If I can get an empty patient room I will do a shower valve also...

I went rooting through the junk in the maintenance section and found these parts, I'm guessing they are parts for the sinks...

Comment

The 6140 is for a Knee Valve surgeons sink. Been here. You know, the kind they turn on with their knee to keep the hands super sanitary. It may cross reference with others but it's Kohler so I doubt it.

Not sure on the others.

J.C.

Comment

Kohler shower valves:
                        valves will have either 2-4 or 6 screws
                        -Round brass stem 2 screws = 304,305(diverter in valve) or 6 screws=306(spout diverter)
                        -square brass stem 2 screws = older Coralais
                        -square plastic black 4 screws = older Corolais also

Comment

I'd make tomorrow morning your trial, get one stem out, go to a supplier and get the replacement if you can, then if it works, order the whole kaboodle.

Fair warning, with the fact that they're as old as they are, you may have an ugly wait.

I recently ordered a fill for a 15 yr old one piece and was told the wait from Kohler is as much as two months, owner opted to wait for it to die rather than wait and pay the rediculous price they wanted.

Comment

Good advice Duck

I'll see what my supply house can come up with but they are are even worse about valve identification than I am...

Comment

This could get interesting. As the hospital is the original owner and Kohler had a lifetime guarantee at the time for even commercial (I think ), they are supposed to GIVE you every part for free.

Be fun for you to push them in a corner. Get ready for 30 minutes on the phone either way.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X