Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: So where do we draw the line

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
    Hey that is rude and condescending BS. Sound familiar?

I don't get it, I get reprimanded for telling people to stop being cheap and to call a licensed plumber for certain repairs in the ASK EXPERT section, but I just read that thread and you all were rude and told him to call a plumber.

I am now confused as to what the 'policy' is here? WTF?
    I'm not sure who called who what as I didn't follow the entire thread but I don't think it is too much to ask everyone to treat each other with respect. As far as policies I have not seen written policies but I can tell you when I first joined the site there was a forum titled "Ask the Plumbing Expert". As a guest (than later a member) I accepted the site for what it was and held my advice from those who were above their heads. When Josh added the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum I was glad to find a spot where DIYs did not visit. Unfortunately, the new Professional Plumbing Discussion forum was the top forum so all of the new post ended up there. Soon Josh made improved things by putting the Ask the Plumbing Expert forum on the top.

All of this talk about the Ask the Plumbing Expert forum reminds me of the motorcycle website I use to moderate. Some wanted foul language and mild nudity and some did not. I set up a grown-up section of the site so those who did not care for foul language and mild nudity could stay out. The problem was the ones who didn't want the foul language and mild nudity continued to enter the new forum so they could complain what was going on in the off-color forum.

There is no way everyone will ever be happy with everything. However, consider not responding to a DIYs probably has more of an effect than belittling them.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Can josh set it up so that only senior memeber have access to the pro's forum? Everyone else doesnt even see it?
      Great idea let's set it ot 725 as of right now and add 100 each month to keep everyone active.

Mark

Years Experience: too much yet too little
      Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
      Thread of the Week Award(s): 0

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
        As if there is anything in there to examine.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Look everyone, Jim is one of us

Comment

Wrench Spinner,

In regard to your post on blasting, yes, that's exactly what our wonderful federal government expected people to do. Back in the day, I remember going into the Mayor's office in the city I lived in at the time, and there was a brochure on the reception table for people to pick up to learn how to blast on their own properties. It was put out by the federal Department of Agriculture, and described in great detail how you made a nitrogen fertilizer explosive using diesel fuel. It was originally designed for farmers so that they could cut down on their use of nitro and dynamite. Ag. Dept. figured all farmers and many homeowners had diesel fuel available, and the nitrogen fertilizer was also available. Both were cheap and thus you could make up your own bombs. Kind of took off didn't it? Madison, Wi. Oklahoma, Marine base in Beirut, etc., etc., etc., Best laid plans of mice and men. Now fertilizer is manufactured with a tracer in it and if you buy it, you need to list your name and address and give them your first born male child. If it is used in an explosion, they are supposedly able to back track it to whomever purchased it.
          Cheers,
          (Boom!)
          Jim Don

PS. Even before my time, you could go to the local hardware store and buy as many dynamite sticks as you wanted, whenever you wanted. Guess it made a he!! of a July 4th celebration.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            A herd of wild horses couldn't get me through the doors of either Cheepo Depot or Blows. I still buy all my materials from the supply houses and 99% of my tools also. I get a better price on Rigid from my supplier than the Cheepo any day.
            Either the plumbing house or the auto parts house for me. I will go into the big box for some things, usually not plumbing related though.

I like the idea of keeping first time signups out of this forum at least. It would keep out the people surfing for answers that sign in one time and ask a question and leave at least.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I joined the forum when I first found it. I admit I was sort of looking for something that might keep me out of trouble during a 3 month layup I was getting ready for (wrist surgery that hasn't happened yet...stupid workman's comp insurance claim has to be resolved first. You know, how much of it was from the accident and how much is arthritis that came on since?) Another story. I would have been intrigued if trying to enter the forum, I was blocked by a <must have 20 posts to enter> line in the way. Amazing how fast 20 posts happen though, especially sometimes on single threads! Would it have kept you from joining or made you join sooner out of curiosity?
              sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

my new creedo. First, Do no Harm
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                  Can josh set it up so that only senior memeber have access to the pro's forum? Everyone else doesnt even see it?
                  You don't wanna go there.

Ben opened a thread on this long ago...we had computer programmers and engineers entering the discussion to say what a bad idea it was.

Ridgid would stand nothing beneficial where the subject matter would be closed to the internet, wouldn't help rankings or web searches.

The other pro forum I belong to has a private section for sensitive subject matter, ironically we barely use it.

I don't mind being "exposed" for talking long walks with my wife and fluffy kitties.

Comment

i like the sound of a "senior only or pro only" section that assignment would be given by josh--think about it--he sees everything on this site--who better to select the elite for this pro only section-

the bottom line 4 me is i think its wrong to give people advice on projects that u should be qualified or licensed for-- although superplumber smay think its nice and right to do----

perfect example of why i started this thread-- jerk insulting pros when they gave him honest safe advice on gas line work(regulators)---he asked, we answered, he didnt like so he started whining and insulting-0------thats why i dont do this---these hacks spit in your face and some of u think its o.k.---what a bunch of crap----if you would walk him through gas line work, you dont deserve to be called a plumber, and try to argue this with me---im hot now

think about the possibilities---i dont care if theres a waiver here---all that does is protect ridgid, not the trade from idiots----couldnt u see the drivebyes dogging our trade in the news---think think

service guy---i stand with you that u were treated unfair because your honest safe reliable recommendation to seek pro help----it was wrong of some diy lovers to treat you this way--as a fellow service plumber, id like to continue to have a honorable trade , busy with jobs,---not a trade known by diyers that is as easy as getting a book from hd to learn it all, or going on a forum and getting walked through gas lines and sewer cleans

Comment

Plumberjr, what happened with your clogged urinal line?

J.C.

Comment

drains slow, but works----gave price to install c/o in floor---they have to get approval----sure could have used a camera with small head ----micro wouldnt go through 2" trap---need a camera with a 1/2" head thats only 3 inches long, so it can go in 2" traps

Comment

wow-168 posts---is this a hot topic or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

It seems this thread has had more topics than a Jerry Springer Convention.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                              Wrench Spinner,

In regard to your post on blasting, yes, that's exactly what our wonderful federal government expected people to do. Back in the day, I remember going into the Mayor's office in the city I lived in at the time, and there was a brochure on the reception table for people to pick up to learn how to blast on their own properties. It was put out by the federal Department of Agriculture, and described in great detail how you made a nitrogen fertilizer explosive using diesel fuel. It was originally designed for farmers so that they could cut down on their use of nitro and dynamite. Ag. Dept. figured all farmers and many homeowners had diesel fuel available, and the nitrogen fertilizer was also available. Both were cheap and thus you could make up your own bombs. Kind of took off didn't it? Madison, Wi. Oklahoma, Marine base in Beirut, etc., etc., etc., Best laid plans of mice and men. Now fertilizer is manufactured with a tracer in it and if you buy it, you need to list your name and address and give them your first born male child. If it is used in an explosion, they are supposedly able to back track it to whomever purchased it.
                              Cheers,
                              (Boom!)
                              Jim Don

PS. Even before my time, you could go to the local hardware store and buy as many dynamite sticks as you wanted, whenever you wanted. Guess it made a he!! of a July 4th celebration.
                              That is a scary idea!

Comment

It is a good topic that feels kind of resolved.

Ever heard of a thread about turning in an unlicensed person?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X