Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So where do we draw the line

primadonnas!!!!????!!!!NOW IM HOT---HERE IS WHY I GET SO SICK OF DIYERS

1--WASTING--YES I SAID WASTING MY TIME CALLING ME OUT TO THE HOME FOR AN ADVICE SEMINAR I MEAN ESTIMATE AND ASKING ME TO BASICALLY WRITE DOWN THE STEP BY STEPS INSTRUCTIONS SO THEY CAN"THINK ABOUT IT AND CALL ME TO SCHEDULE 2 MORROW" AND NEVER EVEN CALL, THEN 2 MONTHS LATER CALL ME AT 2 AM FOR EMERGENCY CALL AND WHEN I TELL HIM MY OT RATE, CALL ME A RIPOFF AND HANGUP---I GUESS UD HAVE TO BE A SERVICE PLUMBER TO UNDERSTAND THIS

2-- GET CALLED TO HOME TO FIX HUSBANDS DIY REPAIR (HE WONT SHOW HIS FACE-COWARD SENDS HIS WIFE TO TELL ME WHATS UP) AND WHEN I FIX IT AND MAKE OTHER SUGGESTIONS, THE SOB WALKS OUT TO TELL ME IM TRYING TO RIP HIS WIFE OFF BY SUGGESTING NECCESSARY REPAIRS SO PLUMBING IS SAFE IN HOME-

3 IVE HAD DIYERS WALK UP TO ME IN MY TRUCK AND ASK ME IF I WANTED TO DO A SIDE JOB WORKING ON THEIR BATHROOM "WITH" THEM---I ALWAYS SAY NO, AND ONE TIME THE SOB CALLED THE SHOP AND SAID HE ASKED ME TO GIVE AN ESTIMATE AND I REFUSED AND TOLD HIM TO F-OFF!!!! I WOULD NEVER DO THIS TO A CUSTOMER --NOW, OFF WORK AND IN PUBLIC--DIFFNT STORY

4 IVE HAD DIYERS CALL MANY TIMES AND ASK IF I COULD TELL THE CITY I DID THE WORK SO THEY CAN PASS AND HE D GIVE ME $ 40 ----IF THATS NOT ENOUGH OF A BIG LOOGEY SPIT RIGHT IN YOUR FACE, WHAT IS???

5--AS SAID BEFORE HERE, AS PLUMBERS WE MAINTAIN PUBLIC HEALTH SAFETY, AND I TAKE PRIDE AND HONOR IN DOING THIS, THE RIGHT WAY---I WILL NOT LET THIS BE SMEARED BY THE MANY DIY HACKS AS MANY ARE

6 CARL---IM WITH YA --HOMES ARE PRIVALEGES, IF U CANT AFFORD THE MAINT, DOWNSIZE-----NOW, I UNDERSTAND REPLACING A SEWER LINE IS A LARGE EXPENSE, FOR EXAMPLE, AND NOT MANY HAVE A FEW THOUSAND TO FORK OUT 2MORROW, THATS WHY WE TAKE PAYMENTS AND HAVE SPECIAL FINANCE OPTIONS--THAT IS A PRIVALEGE WE GIVE TO U

7 I AM A LARGE SUPPORTER OF RIDGID, ASK JOSH--HES SEEN ALL MY RIDGID TOOLS AND ASK MY REP----IF RIDGID WANTS PROS TO HELP DIY ERS WITH EVERYTHING, I CAN RESPECT IT--- I WONT BE HERE OFTEN, BUT ILL RESPECT THEM AS I ALWAYS HAVE-----ALL IM SAYING IS SOME THINGS WE SHOULD NOT WALK DIYERS THROUGH, PLAIN AND SIMPLE---SOME OF U ACT LIKE EVERY DIYER IS LOOKING AT U WITH PUPPY DOG EYES----DUDE ITS A COMPUTER--EVER LOOK AT THE RIGHT CORNER OF POST---MANY ARE BRAND NEW AND WILL GET WHAT THEY NEED AND NEVER COME BACK AND NEVER BUY A RIDGID TOOL, BECAUSE HOMEDEPOT HAS CHEAPER TOOLS RIGHT NEXT TO THE RIDGIDS, AND THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY , JUST THE PRICE SAVING--WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE ASKING QUES HERE , NOT CALLING A SERVICE PLUMBER

8 ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH HELPING OUT ON MINOR THINGS, BUT WHEN HEALTH IS AT RISK, I WANT NO PART--

IM NOT UPTIGHT OR MEAN AS SOME THINK, I JUST RESPECT MY TRADE AND THE PEPUTATION MOST OF US UPHOLD-- I THINK THE GUYS THAT DISAGREE WITH THIS ADVICE ISSUE ARE NOT MAKING A LIVING AS SERVICE PLUMBERS, AND HAVE NOT SEEN OR FELT THE PROBLEM THAT A DIY DISASTER CAN PRESENT ON A BUSY DAY

EVER BEEN 2 A CUSTOMERS HOME TO FIX A WATER HEATER AND ASK HIM ABOUT THE PIPING AND HAVE HIM TELL U HE DID IT, ITS PLUMBING, ANYONE WITH 2 EYES AND HOME DEPOT CAN DO IT------HE THOUGHT I WAS FROM HVAC DIVISION----I TOLD HIM MY JOB TITLE AND HE TURNED RED AND NEVER CALLED AGAIN----JERK

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Y'alls behind the times I use CAD now faster and straighter!!! I draw lots of lines all day long, when I'm not active here at least!
      Hey, could I get some help with Microstation? (free of course)
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The last statement reminded me of something that happened to me. My neighbor is a super guy. He's about 70 and I'd do anything for him. He had a DWV problem in his bathroom so I got underneath and reworked it for him. I noticed CPVC piping that was just all over the place. Hangers at different levels and as much as 8' apart. I asked him when I got out "Did Ronnie Milsap run those water lines under there while wearing socks on his hands?"

He said no and we went inside. He told his wife and she started laughing and then he told me he did it.

I smiled and told him I stand by my statement.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          recipes?
          they're free on the "Ask the Cooking Experts Forum"
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            they're free on the "Ask the Cooking Experts Forum"
            allrecipes.com
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbcrazy View Post
              Herk - I have to disagree about your DIY'ers comment. They are taking tremendous business away from the service plumbers. All three of our supply houses are hurting, but anyday day of the week you see water heaters, toilets, faucets etc. going right out the door of the big box stores. Consumers buy name brand 'junk.' The Delta at Lowes is nothing like the Delta you buy from a supply house. The consumer loses in the long run. Try to find parts for a Pegasus or Glacier Bay faucet.
              I truncated your post to save space for my long winded reply.

I WILL say that I have a STRONG affinity for Herk, a world of respect for a man who has broken his back for a lifetime, is humble about it, yet vastly knowledgeable.

You just COMPLETELY summed my point perfectly.

I have had an all out argument with an unlicensed guy right in the middle of the plumbing department at HD as he bragged he uses sharkbites to avoid hiring a plumber on his bath remodels.
              The plumbing guy had to come over and distract the "discussion".

What seems like a harmless little tutorial on how to replace a faucet for one individual, adds up to tens of thousands throughout hundreds of DIY forums on any given week on the internet.

What has me on edge is the way so many forums are giving away what has never been so easily available...plumbing advice.

What the forums are gaining is marketing, advertizing & publicity.
              Which brings my doubts over Ridgids policy of late, having come to know them over the years as a pro's tool...I partially feel like a sell out is in the making.

To the member plumbers who participate, I think the BIG picture is completely overlooked.
              You might notice that most plumbers who offer DIY advice are employee's for a shop or more established plumbers with a lower ad budget.
              This is possibly a growing trend, many plumbers are inadvertantly giving away they're own lively hood for a pat on the back or the illusion that they have done a good thing.

Which is true in some cases, there are needy homeowners out there, but watching a pharmacist get free advice on how to avoid hiring a plumber makes me cringe when I think of the $1200 monthly payment for the insurance to cover the meds my wife cannot live without.

I don't think that every request is a hack in disguise, nor do I think every homeowner online is a secretive penny pinching miser, but how do we really know we aren't tutoring the unlicensed hack we just lost a bid to?
              Last edited by DuckButter; 09-03-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                It's leased with an option to buy. I know alot of you thought I was a redheaded chinese man.

I think I'm gonna' have to change it back though. The PM box is buzzing from your wives/girlfriends.

J.C.
                Dude, you bear an uncanny semblance to Charles...I smell a conspiracy.

Comment

Wow! What a compliment to Charles!

Saying he looks like a good looking plumber. Yet another goal under his belt.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Some of you guys really have a stick up your butt about DIYers and maybe for good reason. I never thought this group of plumbers could become such primadannas. I might feel different if DIYers were somehow hurting my business. They arn't, if anything they make it more lucrative for me.
                    I don't feel like such a primadonna when I look at a months ad budget and see that I barely broke even answering an increasingly larger percentage of calls inquiring how much, yet never calling back regardless how low the price is.

You may be correct I guess, the trade might be evolving.
                    Evolving toward minimum wage.

I might be a "primadonna" if I speak out over it, but what would I be if I silently accepted it?

Due respect Bill, your an old hat in the biz, I have found you VERY knowledgeable, but how much was your ad budget last quarter?

Comment

• Re: So where do we draw the line

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Wow! What a compliment to Charles!

Saying he looks like a good looking plumber. Yet another goal under his belt.

J.C.
                      Sorry buddy, the compliment was to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Hey, could I get some help with Microstation? (free of course)
                        Of course Bob, we dont use microstation at my company I use AutoCAD Land development desktop 2009 but i know a little about it feel free to post any questions and I'd be happy to answer them

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Sorry buddy, the compliment was to you.
                          That was a good shot. I'll take any compliment I can get.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            Is that why I always feel 'dirty' inside?
                            you and adam

i thought it was you and me

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                              When I read these posts it's almost like we're being pimped into giving free advice to homeowners or your a premadonna, rude, mean ect.
                              My sentiments exactly, there's almost an air of pressure to conform...or leave the forum.
                              Last edited by DuckButter; 09-03-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• How did you learn how to plumb???

Education is key - Did you learn plumbing from a book? No! An apprentice learns in the field from a plumber. Most of you probably did a lot of watching in the beginning and did the dirty work. Fetching tools, digging, pulling toilets. running for coffee etc. While the plumber was demonstrating, he was probably telling you everything that could go wrong if you didn't do it right. If he was a good plumber, he probably told you about code and why plumbing properly is so important.

Why I feel some of you have crossed the line? I see you write suggestions & possible solutions, but don't offer the education or reasoning behind it. Teaching half way is equivalent to half a$$.

Some argue, free advice doesn't hurt our livelihood. Well maybe it doesn't for you. But some very good plumbers & senior members have told you it does hurt their business and their livelihood. Where is your respect / sympathy for the plumbing brotherhood/sisterhood?

Just because plumbing is evolving - doesn't mean you have to participate in it's demise. It certainly isn't evolving for the better. Like Duck Butter posted - evolving to minimum wage. Why? Because plumbing is so easy you can learn to do it from home with just a few clicks on your keyboard!

Our company has taken a stand in trying to do the best we can to educate the homeowner about cheap substitutes and shoddy plumbing work.

If you can't beat em, join em. Hell no. We will continue to fight for honor for this great profession. Fellow plumbers deserve more than a stranger seeking advice.

I feel advice should be limited to "I am thinking about a Kohler Hi-Line toilet, but my plumber suggests a Toto Drake for it's superior flushing? Any comments from professional plumbers in the field. What's your experience?"

Comment

Working...
                                X