X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where do we draw the line

THIS SEEMS TO BE A FIRE STARTER AROUND HERE--WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE IN ADVICE GIVING, OR DO WE TRY TO WALK PEOPLE THROUGH SEWER CLEANS, MAIN WATER REPAIRS, WATER HEATERS, GAS LINES, ETC??????

I HAVE NO PROBLEM TALKING SOMEONE THROUGH INSTALLING A TOILET OR FAUCET , OR REPLACING SUPPLY LINES TO FIXTURES AND SO ON---BUT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WALKING SOMEONE THROUGH A SEWER CLEAN AND SO ON----IF ITS SOMETHING ONLY AN EXPERIENCED PRO DOES, WHY SHOULD WE WALK SOMEONE THROUGH A POSSIBLE TRIP TO ER OR POSSIBLY HURTING OR CONTAMINATING OTHERS WITH THEIR DIY ATTEMPT--DO ELECTRICIANS CLEAN SEWERS---NO, SO WHY SHOULD ANYONE BUT US????SOME PEOPLE HERE ARE SO LIBERAL WITH THEIR ADVICE TO ANYONE--AND I THINK THESE PEOPLE NEED TO STOP AND THINK AND STOP BEING SUCH KISS A@%ES--REALLY------

IF YOU HAVE TO BE LICENSED TO DO IT OR IF THERE IS DANGER INVOLVED, I THINK THE WALK THROUGHS SHOULD BE STOPPED--IF YOU WALKED SOMEONE THROUGH A GAS LINE AND THE HOUSE BLEW UP, HOW COULD U SLEEP AT NIGHT???????NOT TO MENTION THE NEGATIVE PRESS THIS SITE WOULD GET--I DONT CARE ABOUT A WAIVER, IT STILL WOULD HAPPEN, THE MEDIA IS THE MEDIA--------

I HAVE NO PROBLEM HELPING, JUST ONLY ON THINGS THAT I THINK A DIYER CAN HANDLE-------

ALSO, SOME HERE HAVE SAID B4, " YOU SEEM TO BE PRETTY HANDS ON-I CAN HELP YOU DO THIS, U SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT"---THATS WRONG--JOE THE COMPUTER PROGRAMMER IS A COMPUTER GUY, JUST BECAUSE HE REPLACED A FILL VALVE IN THE TOILET UPSTAIRS I CAN HELP HIM REPLACE THE WATER HEATER----WRONG WRONG WRONG

NOW U KNOW WHERE I STAND, AND SINCE SOME AGREE AND SOME WILL WALK A 6 YEAR OLD THROUGH WELDING A GAS MAIN, LETS HEAR THE ARGUEMENT BEGIN-------ANY IDEAS???

Re: So where do we draw the line

AND WHO HERE IS FLAT RATE AND WHY IS IT SO MUCH BETTER THAN TIME & MATERIALS!!!

Comment

Plenty of good discussion on this topic for the last 8 years . Its one of those that members agree to disagree on.

Josh

Comment

Im sure this will go the distance

Comment

I enjoy giving out advice freely. I love this work and enjoy talking about it to anyone who will listen. My wife and friends are about fed up with technical plumbing talk and health of the nation diatribes, so I don't mind sharing with strangers. The funny thing is that most of the time I end up scaring people away from DIY stuff by simply sharing my experiences in the field. I don't mean to but I'm just being honest. Most plumbing jobs are simple. Right out of the home depot book, however things can quickly go wrong and compound into dangerous or deadly scenarios pretty quickly. People usually don't think about the risks or worst case scenarios until you tell them what happened to you one time. Or two times. Stupid plastic water heater drains.

Comment

I give advice to people I deem worthy for the job at hand. For anything requiring a license in my state, I will only give advice to licensed individuals (who rarely need it of course). If it doesn't require a license, I will give advice to anyone with mechanical sense.
            Its that simple.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Growing up we didn't have a lot money so my dad used to check out lots of books to fix things around the house so I do sympathize with DIY'ers. The difference is that people come here and will ask for information and will resent the fact when they're told the job is over their head and they need to call a pro. People will ask for all kinds of information and will rarely ever return the favor to help us. Did msfixit ever give us some good ebay tips like Aaron asked? No and she won't. She and many others will take information that we spent a long time to learn and will never give anything in return. Dog opened my eyes on this issue.

We need to decide where our loyalties lie? Is it with the DIY? If so then other forums are better for you. My loyalties lie with the ridgid family and will help them to no end. This goes from the GC (toolaholic) to the computer wizard(CPW) and those in between because I know they would do the same for me. My loyalties also lie with the comfort specialty profession because what happens in your neighborhood can happen in mine. Why cut the wind under another professional legs just to fufill the superhero complex?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Maybe we should lead off on the first reply with one of our horror stories every time.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Did msfixit ever give us some good ebay tips like Aaron asked? No and she won't.

yes she did, if you read, the post #9, she gave you the most important tips,

Sure, I can share that info. If you want to sell something on eBay the more feedback you have the more money you will make. The best way to make the most money aside from that is to have good photos, good titles, a clear description, and a starting price that will attract bidders.
                  my sister in law is aEBay seller, last year she had over $80,000 in shipping costs, and that is what she says sells items besides having items that people want.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

my sister in law is aEBay seller, last year she had over $80,000 in shipping costs, and that is what she says sells items besides having items that people want.

Good gosh, that was a lot of trips to the post office. The times I did it, couldn't stand all the work it took to go from placing an ad to final delivery.

But, people wouldn't do it like above if there wasn't money in it for the go.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Does her 1 sentence really equal the amount of information given to here? Does she deserve the captain obvious award? If she said something like, "sell so transaction ends on payday at 9pm central time" or something specific, then I would totally agree with you. I know that thread contained a lot of thread drift but there's probably 7-10 pages of great info and in return we got 1 sentence.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by bhd View Post

my sister in law is aebay seller, last year she had over $80,000 in shipping costs, and that is what she says sells items besides having items that people want.
                        $80,000 in shipping costs alone! Just imagine the profits from that!!!

What the hell am i doing plumbing, having to carry multiple insurances, multiple licenses, answering to multiple jurisdictions interpretation of codes, making sure the water's running no matter what. On and on and on. And on top of that, coming here and giving free advice.

Goodbye plumbing....hello ebay!!!

Comment

All this ebay talk is making me want to start selling off Rick's tools now! I bet I can even sell his own stuff to him, have it in a box at the door and save on shipping!
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Please don't use your female brain on us poor men Joey!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              All this ebay talk is making me want to start selling off Rick's tools now! I bet I can even sell his own stuff to him, have it in a box at the door and save on shipping!
                              Good idea, let us know what his screen name is so we can bump the price up.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X