Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Demise of the Plumbing Industry?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    That's a short term attitude. Eventually that gap will be filled by someone, licensed or not, US citizen or not, skilled or not. Then the price will fall and your rates along with it or you will starve.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

That is what exactly what is going on here. Because of a lot of unskilled workers in new construction plumbing - plumbers are being paid $10. - $14.00 per hour. So much for the arguement shortages will make wages go up.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Whats ironic is it really isn't affecting me that bad, yet.

I have noticed a large decrease in closing new calls over the percentages just two years ago.

Ironically, I have also gotten a large increase in repeat business & referrals, which is whats supposed to happen over time.
      Keep the five-year rule in mind. I have no doubt you will make it and you will learn a lot on the way from both your failures and your successes.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Keep the five-year rule in mind. I have no doubt you will make it and you will learn a lot on the way from both your failures and your successes.

Mark
        I started expecting to fail, I'd done a lot of research and gave myself a standard to know when to throw in the towel.

I almost got to that line at around 6 months, then I learned the line at the bottom of every one of your posts...the hard way.

What has me wondering, at a certain point you had to have been a one man shop before you took on employee's.

Don't hear you talk about it much.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbcrazy View Post
          Couldn't have said it better myself.

That is what exactly what is going on here. Because of a lot of unskilled workers in new construction plumbing - plumbers are being paid $10. - $14.00 per hour. So much for the arguement shortages will make wages go up.
          Keep in mind things are different in different parts of the Country.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...er/Hourly_Rate

I was paying my plumbers $26 an hour + benies 10-years ago. None of the States I work in now pay less than $30 an hour for a real plumber. Of course unskilled "service techs" are another story.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I don't think out anything short term. The scenario you describe is the cycle of any economy since the establishment of economy itself.

J.C.
            And the plumbing industry is not insulated from its effects, so they will hit here too.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              And the plumbing industry is not insulated from its effects, so they will hit here too.
              You are right. I think the salary for plumbers in my areas has been lacking as a result of some of the low labor influx. It's restabilizing though. But still not where it should be.

How do we fix it?

J.C.

Comment

The only area of plumbing I see hitting the skids is drain cleaning. No license required in Illinois. So every guy who was making $8 at Mickey D's can now make $12 cleaning crap out of pipes. Then (a good chance) while on a call, they might fix a faucet.

People just dont realize when you pay crap, you get crap! Most dont care. Untill they get sick, flood, or back up again.
                Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 09-04-2008, 09:29 PM.

Comment

You are right. I think the salary for plumbers in my areas has been lacking as a result of some of the low labor influx. It's restabilizing though. But still not where it should be.

How do we fix it?

J.C.

Can't. It's too political.

This "time" in history right now is a "weeding out" of sorts for quite a few.

I cut my teeth on the internet in 2002, didn't even know how to turn on a computer at that time. Since I started a new business and was invisible, I had tons of time to myself. So, in the idea that I'm a plumber, a good one at that, I took myself to another dimension and started joining plumbing forums to keep me occupied.

Was given moderator/admin status and really enjoyed it for quite awhile, but priorities have their place. I got "burned" by the constant repetitive questions and got tired of removing the words "Help me (URGENT) Need Advice NOW threads. <<< Those don't pull up in search engine finds when
                  you need to know how to unclog a toilet or fix a sink.

Having that title or responsibility on a forum makes you indebted and without pay, that got old quick. So I left on my terms, just don't post much anymore at my old stomping grounds. It served its purpose at the time and now I may answer 10 plumbing questions a month on the net to DIY'rs. This site doesn't get a ton of them but every once in awhile I'll post in a thread that says "last page" knowing it went more than 3 or 4 pages and something interesting is going on.

A service provider at my house is non-existent. Why? Because I manage to do just about every facet there is, to within reason. When I built my master bathroom, I did everything except the paint, the tile work, that's it.

Did the framing/waterproofing/electric/drywall/trim/design/anything else you want to include...

and I'm sure I took away the income bearing ability of some tradesman along the way.

On the internet, I never meet these people, they could be dead tomorrow and I won't blink an eye. "Those" that I have an ongoing relationship with and correspond or read their wit daily, interact with them, I do care about them to any amount of varying degrees.

But I have a nature to give good advice, I can be very slanted at times, and I can be very demeaning if someone posts an intentional idea to either purposely do it wrong or cover up something so they can sell the problem off to another. I get really mean spirited at that point and the gloves are off.

Don't need to be known as "Oh he's such an honorable guy" on the net.

I'm just a bunch of dots and pixels in this big series of pipes and tubes, just like the rest on this screen.

We've got a few regular posters that are missing from this forum that I don't see anymore, and no one has mentioned anything of their disappearance. That's. Just. The. Internet.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I started expecting to fail, I'd done a lot of research and gave myself a standard to know when to throw in the towel.

I almost got to that line at around 6 months, then I learned the line at the bottom of every one of your posts...the hard way.

What has me wondering, at a certain point you had to have been a one man shop before you took on employee's.

Don't hear you talk about it much.
                    I never had time to be a one man shop. I was the foreman of the Plumbing HVAC department for a large construction company. The owner wanted all of the foremen to get their own licenses so we were sub-contractors. The first job I did for him I added $10 per hour per man for overhead and I was told I charged too much. Rather than returning to our previous arrangement I took my helper (then plumber) of 8-years and never looked back. Twenty years later I sold/gave my business to the guy. He ended up a better plumber than an owner but he still has the shop today.

Mark

Comment

WestCoast and MsWestCoast have gone away. Wonder why?

J.C.

Comment

J.C.
                        He's been very busy, still hops into the pro forum on occasion.

Comment

J.C.
                          I noticed Robert was on earlier today but never posted.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            I noticed Robert was on earlier today but never posted.

Mark
                            Talked to him a week ago, he's been insanely busy.
                            I honestly think the truck logo does it for him, fantastic design.

Comment

That's great to hear. Always good to hear of a success story.

J.C.

Comment

I'm not opposed to change, just critical of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X