Viega PureFlow pex/pex press?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viega PureFlow pex/pex press?

Up until now the only time I have installed pex is either on temporary facilities during remodeling, and on the few radiant heat jobs that I installed before venturing out on my own.

There is a job i am bidding that the GC wants the hot and cold water piped in PEX. So since I have my ridgid propress machine I thought that viega's pex press would be the product I would use.

Anyone used this stuff yet? Good? Bad? other?

Greg

Re: Viega PureFlow pex/pex press?

no, but am considering it also

Comment

I don't know what brand our tools are, but I went to a viega web site and they look pretty much the same. They have long handles that are easier to use, but hard to fit into any real area with any obstruction. Then they have the shorter handles (I carry on my truck for 1/2 and 3/4) that fit better but are a little harder to crimp. They do loosen up with time. I carry a cinch tool too that's real easy to use but I don't trust the fittings to last really, not like the crimp fittings. Other than that, my experience is with a torch and pipe wrench. A couple pex fittings and a little pipe on my truck is for repairs if needed that our plumbers do.
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

with the phasing out of copper, I like the ability of 1 1/2 pex press,

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
          with the phasing out of copper, I like the ability of 1 1/2 pex press,
          Me too, and if I read right the compact tool will do 1.5"

The thought behind it for me was/is to try and land a few more of the jobs I am loosing due to pricing.

Comment

GLK I've got the cat. in front of me. You read it right. The salesman boasted two inch in the works

Comment

2" with the compact? sweet.

Did you happen to ask about certification? The inspectors(yolo county) want to see a cert. card for any pex install here.

Greg

Comment

why not just wirsbo? $200 tool vs 2k? besides it doesnt take long to expand the pipe at all

Comment

Already own the tool for Copper ProPress.
                  Just thought I'd piggy back onto an existing tool.
                  Any pros/cons to wirsbo?

Comment

I thought about uponor (i like the product) with pex press you could have jaws for pro press too.

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                      2" with the compact? sweet.

Did you happen to ask about certification? The inspectors(yolo county) want to see a cert. card for any pex install here.

Greg
                      Don't know about 2" with the compact. the only thing we test here is gas!

Comment

wirsbo is junk with problems---ive seen them and its not pretty---esp underground fitt failure

viega pex is #1 and will last and is only manuf with no class lawsuits---viega pex press is the way to go

Comment

even though im a copper guy, i need to use pex when helping install for radiant

Comment

I'm a copper guy too, (only installed 2 or 3 radiant heat jobs with my last employer, a couple of temp water hookups during construction)however when bidding copper vs. someone else's pex, guess who misses out...ME. good to hear about the 0 class action lawsuits of Viega Pureflow

Greg
                            Last edited by glkearns; 09-05-2008, 10:03 PM. Reason: more content

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                              Already own the tool for Copper ProPress.
                              Just thought I'd piggy back onto an existing tool.
                              Any pros/cons to wirsbo?
                              We use it all the time out here. All the supply houses in the area carry it, you can work in much tighter spaces, I have installed it in driveway thawing systems in bedford for years without any problems. It is pretty much all we use in Westchester. Our clientel was very high end so any problems and we would have stopped using it right away and gone back to copper if we had run into any problems!

Comment

Working...
                              X