X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickdrain Shower drains?

So, a client of mine tracked this down and asked if it could be used. It's not UPC approved, so I told her probably not, but if she felt up to it she could go down to the city and see if they would allow it. They did.

http://www.quickdrainusa.com/index.html

Looks to be an easy install for me, and a very modern look. We'll see as I measure for the drain and order next week.

Anyone else ever seen/installed these?
    Greg

Re: Quickdrain Shower drains?

it looks like some sort of trench drain..? does it use an approved trap..? what city approved this?
    Last edited by plumbworker; 09-06-2008, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I talked to the Rep on the phone this afternoon, and all I do is band on to the 2" stainless steel and dump it into a 2" trap, vent it just like usual. Apparantly it's supposed to make the tiling/waterproofing easy...but it's about a $500 drain for 36" wide...We'll see. I don't see these getting by SF's inspectors, then again I didn't think the owner would have the success at El Cerrrito...

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
        I don't see these getting by SF's inspectors

Greg
        non upc approved hell no! have fun installing that thing......

Comment

That's kinda how I feel...mostly because of the unknown...The rep told me that all the UPC testing had been done, but certification not yet complete.

She'll have something that none of her neighbors have...at least for awhile.

Greg

Comment

I like the clean look of the grid but that thing is going to stink after a few uses. Then it's going to cake up with soap and pubic hairs in the trough.

Nasty!

Comment

How are you going to connect this to the shower pan??
              If you don't have a clamp down drain where will the pan drain to????

It may look great and drain well, but the question of soap residue and body crud is a good one. Also if there is no pan under the tile or if the pan is not connected the tile will not stay down more than a year or two and if this is on the second floor the ceiling will start to leak.

Be careful when being a pioneer with new decorating ideas, they may come back to bite you in the rear!

Comment

Looking at the web site you have given seems like there is a shower liner needed as on the standard shower drain. But I dont see any way of cleaning out the trap if it becomes clogged the cover must be reomable somehow but I dont see it. I agree that it looks like a trench drain and if it is not approved in your area i wouldnt use it. Also looking at the web page and who deals with this product looks like most of these are overseas so who do you contact if you have a problem with the product. Looks like more trouble than its worth.

Comment

There is a rep in CO I think(I have already spoken to him on the phone a few times as it is new to me.), The grates can be lifted up to snake the line, and yes a shower liner is required(around here the Tile installer is responsible for the waterproofing of the shower. I will post back here about how it turns out. I was expecting the city to shoot down the drain for it lacking UPC approval...

Greg
                  Last edited by glkearns; 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM. Reason: more content

Comment

Greg, I agree on the veto in S.F. . Has to have the U.P.C. And the UCMJ.
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I don't know. I kinda' like this thing. IF it can me maintained AND it doesn't have to be overly maintained.

J.C.

Comment

The only reason I didn't completely refuse to put it in is I like the way it looks.
                        Greg

Comment

Might work really well with a "car wash shower". That's a good amount of drainage sq. inches. Take some pics of your install if you can. I'd be interested.

J.C.

Comment

Pics will be taken of before and after tile. I am working on building a website...and have very few photos of my work. My camera phone takes bad pics, so I am taking my wife's point and shoot to work with me.

Greg

Comment

I would definately upgrade to a 3" trap, if you can. Someone might want to ad a body spray and a couple jets.

Comment

Working...
                              X