Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mom's son says my price was "asinine."

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post

I did not understand the rest after that...LOL...

Lets see...
    Intial call: 40 min.
    Picking up toilets: 60 min.
    Installation/demo: 120 min.

Wait you show them how to use the new water closet as well? In some groups that's in itself is worth the price of admission.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PCPlumber
      From Jack:

Your price was not fair. You are working for minimum wage. We try to get no less that $450 for a toilet. You can get a fairly decent toilet at Lowes for only $38.

You are worrying about the price too much. You could have told these idiots you would install the toilets for $300 and they would have told you the price is too high. A percent of people won't buy. Don't lower your price. Raise it to create more value.

This is a good example to talk about how to close sales. When selling a toilet, you should give the customer several options. First, we try not to sell toilets because you have to babysit them every time they clog.

Why would you warrant stoppages on a toilet installation?

When we furnish the toilet, the customer always finds something wrong.

Perhaps you are selling the wrong toilet

Jack.

I suppose you don't sell garbage disposals because they sometimes jam
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-06-2008, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Those people had no intention of using you to begin with.

I've dealt with people like this and they intentionally put you on the defensive.

It's best to do this from your chair in your office, limiting to a few minutes of wasted time, not in the home where your time is better spent.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i charge 350 for toilet install--usually a/s cadet--includes demo and new seat-----i then charge extra for flange repair and new stop if i have to shut main down----i sell tons of toilets, never is price an issue---

this diy story is what makes me sick of how people treat us these days---i drive a $ 50 k truck with over 15 k stock in it along with insurance and wages and etc---if i was treated like that, i would red flag the customer and not go back---they basically said they dont trust you as much as the son---to me thats a big loogey spit right in ur face--------when this happens to me i flag em and forget em---we have over 20,000 customers on file---1 wont make a difference----now thats not the greatest thinking, but why call me out to spit in my face and on my trade???
          Last edited by plumberjr; 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM.

Comment

jack---you selling kohler to customers shows the kind of business person u are-----------

kohler sucks
            kohler is crap

Comment

IS THIS THE SAME SON WHO WAS TRYING TO FIX THE OLD TOILETS ??
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                When I told him the price he balked and said he could get a faucet much cheaper and blah blah blah. So, I did something I never done. I agreed with him. I actually encouraged him to go get his valve and install it. I took him out to my van and showed him shark bites and compression couplers.

I kept saying how easy it is and how much money he will save and his wife will be really happy she saved so much money.

What he didn't know was the old valve was installed wrong and was within, 12" of his breaker panel box, wires everywhere. Also a stud was directly behind the valve so getting it out will be fun FOR HIM.

I laughed all the way to the next job.
                Even if you don't think so, you also probably built good will for your company with that customer.

Comment

The customer called back. She wants to do business.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                    The customer called back. She wants to do business.

Well at least we was able to view the word "asinine"

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                      jack---you selling kohler to customers shows the kind of business person u are-----------

kohler sucks
                      kohler is crap
                      I think you should find something else to say in your post other than "KOHLER IS CRAP" or "KOHLER SUCKS" I have been reading a lot of post that you have replied to and you always have the same replies. How can you base what kind of business Jack runs just because he sells one of the best flushing toilets on the market to his clients?? You should try and back up your statements with proof other than just your words. If Kohler was such a awful product why is Kohler one of the top plumbing fixture company in the world??? I sure hope your boss keeps you away from his clients or pretty soon his 20,000 client list will be more like 200!! I have been in the plumbing industry for 40+ years as a owner of a small shop and now, in my golden years in retail working at Home Depot. I would have a difficult time having someone like you working with the public!! I'm still shaking my head about your statement to Jack
                      Last edited by homeownerpete; 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

homeownerpete,

Why is that every time I've had a service call on Kohler faucets, it's a two trip fiasco?

Why is it that Kohler toilet rebuilds are so sensitive to not accept any retrofit repair parts?

Why is it that my Cimmarron toilet doesn't have a good bowl wash when I've had the hershey squirts?

Why is it that Kohler's website has more discontinued parts than any leading competitor?

Why is it that Kohler sends retrofit parts without prior knowledge when you ask for original replacement parts?

Why does Kohler make a faucet that frustrates the customer enough to never buy another when it comes time to service them?

Why do I have 20 years under my belt understanding these statements clearly, having the luxury of removing these faucets when the exhaustive road to repair is beyond the worth of the faucet in itself?

When I hear the words Kohler, I hear trouble when it deals with faucets. When I hear the words Kohler in relation to toilets, I know that I'm subjected to find the EXACT OEM replacements for nearly everything inside that tank, otherwise nothing will work.

That's called dead stock on a truck that takes months or years to finally use when the call is made, and pray it's not dry rotted by that time to use.

I recall installing two Kohler pressure-balanced valves a few years ago, I told the customer you'll regret this move no matter if you got the valves for free.

Three months ago they called me asking what's wrong with their new valves...

I told them, "Why do you want to listen to me now?" and told them to follow that lovely road of endless nooks and crannies on Kohler's website that is intentional to keep you from repairing them.

I don't think Kohler wants the service side of their product; here just buy another new one.

Don't even get me started on Kohler Bidet Faucets with notoriously bad backflow issues. I'll start throwing tools thinking of how many trips we made and new OEM parts wouldn't fix the problem.
                        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 09-06-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Pete. I think he's just had many more negative experiences with Kohler than with other brands and makes known by HIS experience.

My experience with Kohler has been mixed. Sometimes good, sometimes very bad. In my opinion the current regime there is better at marketing their product than internal design & manufacturing.

Plumberjr's posts have revealed him to be a very knowledgeable business person and plumber to me.

But he has extreme disdain for Kohler. Concentrate more on the good information offered by posters. And welcome to the Ridgid Forum.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

i say what i say about kohler because of the nightmares kohler brings to us--parts are next to impossible to obtain, the customer service line and site are a fiasco of runaround bs that takes way to long--as i have said b4, ive waited almost 8 weeks for parts for a king george shower cart---and this isnt the only time, its happened many others ----ever tried to get parts for a 4 month old kohler body spray shower package??? 4 months old and the factory seals were installed bad and water destroyed the electronics---the company that installed it didnt want the headache, so told customer to call elsewhere--i learned my lesson!!!! every part they make is "special"---no such thing as a universal part--now thats ok, but if thats the case, make parts easily obtainable and easy to identify----right??? i have had one to many headaches from kohler, and im sick of it and now stay away--the kohler dealers here carry flappers and 1 or 2 cartridges, the ones u dont need

now do u understand--someone that claims they have 40 years in the business and loves kohler must not do service or has no dealer around that carries the crap

Comment

and thank you, jc

Comment

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum.

I think Kohler sucks, big time. It's my opinion, and it's based on my years in the service plumbing field. Oh ya, I said it, Kohler sucks, mmmmk. Most of us have strong opinions, ask the mods.

Secondly, unless you have read all the posts from PCplumber and those deleted, and the several user names he has used you might want to put your sword back. Jack has a history here.

Jack, why do you always start your post out "From Jack:"?
                                Last edited by Tyman; 09-06-2008, 03:35 PM.
                                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                                X