X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom's son says my price was "asinine."

Went on a "referral of a referral" call. Customer had two 16+year old Mansfield toilets. Both were in need of major repair. They (homeowners)had spent the good part of a day working on them, running for parts etc. One toilet was still apart, the other still leaked. I explained I could spend time rebuilding the two toilets, or remove the old & dispose of, and install two new Mansfield Summit 3 toilets. I would include a one year parts & labor warranty (from me) and a complimentary auger if they both happen to clog up. They can be installed on the weekend. All for $599. Total materials/toilet would be about $320 for the install. She called her son, and I happened to walk in when the speakerphone was on.
    Son, "thats an asinine price!"
    Son, "I can buy the toilets for a couple hundred bucks"
    Mom, "are you going to put them in"

I did not understand the rest after that...LOL...

Lets see...
    Intial call: 40 min.
    Picking up toilets: 60 min.
    Installation/demo: 120 min.

About 4 hours total. $70 an hour minus gas, insurance, licensing, vehicle, tools, warranty (if they load'em up) abuse of body etc.

Real nice lady, I hope she calls back.

Reason for my post is not out of anger, but the realization that I will not make a $280 profit on this job. After all is said and done, I would whittle it down to about $110 a toilet. Homeowners should realize this...
    Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM.

Re: Mom's son says my price was "asinine."

280/toilet including what it costs to dump the toilets? Sounds like a fair price to me, a little low for my area to be honest with you.
    Greg
    Last edited by glkearns; 09-06-2008, 12:01 AM. Reason: fixed math

Comment

The son will say he will do it. You will be called in about 2 weeks either to do it because he hasn't yet and she's tired of waiting, or to fix the hack install he did. If it is to fix his install, it will be a nightmare. He will then tell you you charge too much, if you are lucky it will be to your face. Have fun.

PS. your price seems more than fair given the warranty you are offering.... are you really going to go auger them for free every time they plug them up for a year? I wouldn't.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

At a couple of hundreds bucks for two toilets, he's buying low grade glacier bays at Home Depot.

He forgot to price the closet auger and plungers along with them.

I just love knowitalls.

Comment

The son is wrong here. You can get the toilet in a bag from cheepo deepot for under 50 bucks....with seat.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, the price includes removal of the old toilets. It only includes ONE complmentary augering, no more.

Comment

Your price seems fair to me.

Easy for me to say 'cause I'm not in your shoes but if you have more profitable work lined up let the son do this job and don't lose any sleep over it.

If not then stick to your price and wait for them to realize how fair your price really was.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You could lower your price if you removed the toilets with a sledge hammar and let the home owner clean up the mess.
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the son who puts his mother in a nursing home, When he shows up for monthly visits, screams about bad care.

Comment

You're more than fair. For this area you would be undercutting people with that price. Son's an idiot.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

typical assinine response, what right do we have to make money after all were in it for the fun. why play golf when you can practice plumbing, pay bills do we have those, profit! now there is a four letter word. let the idiot flood his house and spank him on the panic call back.

Comment

That was a fair price, especially if it includes you disposing of the toilets.

Things like that tend to bother me too. I really believe some people think anything over free is high.

This week I went to a guys house who literally destroyed a Moen tub/shower valve trying to fix it himself. I told him it was beyond repair and replacement was his only option. Keep in mind this guy told me his wife took a bath in the lake last night.

When I told him the price he balked and said he could get a faucet much cheaper and blah blah blah. So, I did something I never done. I agreed with him. I actually encouraged him to go get his valve and install it. I took him out to my van and showed him shark bites and compression couplers.

I kept saying how easy it is and how much money he will save and his wife will be really happy she saved so much money.

What he didn't know was the old valve was installed wrong and was within, 12" of his breaker panel box, wires everywhere. Also a stud was directly behind the valve so getting it out will be fun FOR HIM.

I laughed all the way to the next job.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          You could lower your price if you removed the toilets with a sledge hammar and let the home owner clean up the mess.
                          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

It was the son who gave her the advice. She was not sure one way or the other. She asked me if it was a good price...I said YES!

Comment

I tend to agree with you Jack except that if you sell them a Toto they will never have a problem with it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X