X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum heat exchanger in Boiler

I remember reading something a while back about Cast Aluminum heat exchangers in Boilers like the Buderus GB142 wall hung series potentially requiring some sort of inhibitor or something else. Is it the order of metals/electrolysis i.e. would you need/prefer to run only non-ferrous metals with these boilers as opposed to one that runs stainless steel where you could easily run steel pipe or something else?

Re: Aluminum heat exchanger in Boiler

Scott,
    Where you been?

Hey,wait a minute,Where'd all the canuck plumbers go?

Glad to here from you.

Comment

Been busy working. I pretty streaky when it comes to coming on here although I do enjoy being on here when I can. My current job site is 5 hours outside of town right now so I'm up there 5-7 days at a time and a few days off back at home too.

Comment

Just don't run copper directly into the aluminum. You can run iron pipe into it OK.
        www.dunkirk.com/product_literature.asp

Q90-100 Rev. B page 14

Also the first piece of literature in the list there has approved antifreezes.

Dunkirk Quantums used aluminum heat exchangers.

Hope this helps
        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

We do this all the time, in my opinion for what you get for the money, I would rather go with a viessman or IBC (Stainless is painless)Also IBC's are made in Canada....But here's an interesting aside, the buderus is not an approved boiler by the hydronics institute, only an approved water heater...

Scott, will you be attending the Ciphex West conference next month?>
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

JUst heard something recently, Bosch is buying out Buderus...

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the IBC's - it's my favourite not just boiler, but "thing" to install. They are great boilers locally made close to where I live, and Bruce McGowan the owner is just a phone call away if we have an problems and they'll even come to our site if we have a problem we can't solve. They aren't neccessarily entirely made in Canada though. Some parts are outsourced like the heat exchangers are made in Poland apparently, but they are definately designed, assembled, tested, packaged, and shipped from Vancouver and in some cases I've picked them up direct if I need one right away.

Here's one for you - the one thing IBC's do better than some of the German boilers is throughout their modulation range, say the 15/150 for example, they maintain their efficiency ratings quite well (from 15,000 to 150,000 BTU's). Where as a similar Viessman will be typically be quite efficient at the lower modulating ranges, but less efficient at the higher modulating ranges.

The only reason I ask about the Buderus GB142 is for some reason in this job 5 hours outside of town, my boss doesn't want to use the IBC's which is basically the boiler we pretty much install just about everywhere we can either stand alone or as a heat pump back up for geo systems. I can't understand why he wants to suddenly use the Buderus (he was even considering the P-words - yes, Polaris). It's been a sort of mini-go around at our office for a while and I'm looking for more "points" to take my case but oh well. The Buderus models are definately cheaper and I also believe they are good boilers. One of our smaller suppliers also builds a lot of hydronic systems using the Buderus GB142's in his shop and apparently they're pretty good boilers for what they are.

According to Bruce @ IBC, they are hoping to develop a smaller 90,000 to 100,000 Condensing/Modulating Boiler just like the 15/150 and 45/225, as well as they are also hoping to come out with a big daddy 399,000 BTU Boiler as well. Last I heard the had to shelve it for a while but I think it's only a matter of time before we see an expanded IBC line up. The only issue with IBC's in comparison is their price. They are a bit pricier, but I think when you actually compare the quality and all the details, an IBC is often a no brainer.

That's interesting about Buderus - are they going to still be called Buderus?

Also, haven't heard about the Ciphex conference - can you give me the details?

Comment

I imagine they will stay with buderus, the name is a symbol of quality, after all they have been around for over 75 years. My only concern is the possible drop in quality...as we all know, Bosch is the bastard child of the tankless heater, hopefully that won't transfer to their boilers.

Ciphex West is being held in Calgary Sep 25-26 (You guys got it in van last november) There are a few good hydronics seminars, so I'm really looking forward to it

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                  JUst heard something recently, Bosch is buying out Buderus...
                  They already own them.

I was mortified...all done with Buderus...just on principle, I hate Bosch.

Comment

The company i'm at right now pushes IBCs as much as possible. Last 2 ive put in have had the supply / return connections grossly (rougly 1/2" / 1') out of plumb comming out of the coil. Anybody else experience this? Little bit disconcering reefing on such an expensive boiler to straighten out the factory tappings...

Comment

The one thing I have complaint wise about the IBC's is sometimes the threads on the supply & return connections are a little loose, meaning you can basically bottom them out and you gotta hammer them with lots of teflon & dope. I asked Ian @ IBC about this one time and he said it's because the heat exchangers are made in Poland and they are working on it (they don't do NPT threads well yet I guess?). I have only seen this really on 2 boilers I have installed, the rest have been pretty good. And no leaks either. The other thing that bugs me is on the 45-225's, they have 1 1/4" connections, not 1 1/2". We always bush these up to 1 1/2" with our piping.

Never expierienced the problem you had DD but the one thing I noticed is the supply and return are both ever so slightly graded, probably to allow air movement through the heat exchanger to an air seperator that you're supposed to install at a high point, usually right around where the supply comes out. Don't be afraid to call IBC directly. Bruce & co are good guys and will look after you.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleD View Post
                        The company i'm at right now pushes IBCs as much as possible. Last 2 ive put in have had the supply / return connections grossly (rougly 1/2" / 1') out of plumb comming out of the coil. Anybody else experience this? Little bit disconcering reefing on such an expensive boiler to straighten out the factory tappings...
                        is the old curmudgeon giving you a day off to go to Ciphex?

Comment

Working...
                        X