Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSST responsible for numerous fires

Wow, here we go again.

From this article: http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/809070376

It is well known that CSST cannot handle the energy expended by a lightning strike causing the thin walls to fail.

"At least 35 homes have burst into flames in the past five years after newer lines made of corrugated stainless steel tubing, or CSST, were breached by lightning. And that's just based on fire department records in Boone, Hamilton and northern Marion counties."

"The walls of CSST simply aren't thick enough to withstand the energy of a lightning strike," said Oklahoma attorney Bill Cathcart, who has litigated several CSST-related cases. "But no one has taken any action to stop the sale or distribution of the products."

"The flex pipes need to be grounded to the manufacturer's specifications,'' said Garry Harling, a Westfield Fire Department division chief, "but a lot of the ones we see either aren't grounded at all or aren't grounded properly."

Now here is the kicker, they know about it;

In March 2007, four CSST manufacturers settled a national class-action lawsuit in Clark County, Ark. Manufacturers agreed to pay $29 million but denied wrongdoing, saying the flexible steel lines are safe if properly installed. People throughout the country were eligible to apply for vouchers of $200 to $2,000 to install lightning protection services. But there was no requirement to inform homeowners of the problem or the offer -- which expired one year ago

Their are so many points of blame here.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: CSST responsible for numerous fires

do the install instructions tell you to ground it??? i just found old tracpipe instructions in the garage and nothing in the guide about grounding----whats sad is the 1st instinct of homeowner is to blame plumber, like we did it on purpose

Comment

They did flag this over a year ago at my local supply house/dealer. Info on the counter and when sold.

J.C.

Comment

Wow,
        The plumbing contractor I help out has put some of that stuff in.Never seen any grounding.I wonder how many other

"PRO'S" have done the same.

Sorry guys,I'm on some kind of roll with this "pro" thing.Can you bare with me

Comment

Oh the irony!..........

"On a June night, more than 430 bolts of lightning zapped the ground within a five-mile radius of Zionsville resident Sarah Weider's home"

That's God's way of expressing his dissent with the Sarah

Comment

looks to me like another example of product sales overcoming collateral damage risk. or maybe they overlooked lightning strikes in midwest applications

Comment

Bob D. put up some info on this over a year ago when this came up.I can't find it.

Comment

I'll be aware of it next time.

Comment

I remember asking my former boss why we didn't put a grounding round on the Ward Flex we had installed a day earlier to a outside patio grill to protect it from lighting, then to read this.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                    do the install instructions tell you to ground it??? i just found old tracpipe instructions in the garage and nothing in the guide about grounding----whats sad is the 1st instinct of homeowner is to blame plumber, like we did it on purpose

You're right. They will go after the plumber and then focus on the manufacture which has deeper pockets. Suddenly 2 million in insurance doesn't seem enough.

I never knew about these problems at all. We're not talking about a small problem here.

I'm still waiting on massive PEX failures other than the numerous lawsuits already in the works.

Plumbing's easy until you blow someone home up or flood it.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Since when is lightning NOT considered an act of God? This society looks to blame everyone! They should have had a proper lightning rod then! If these lighning strikes are so common

Comment

I've had a customer with just this situation. The lightning hit the stink pipe on the far side of the house traveled through the wet pipe(rain) to a chimney chase jumped to the grounded CSST and blew a hole in it in several places causing a fire. Luckily, the cpvc water piping ran close by and melted putting out the fire. Another bit of luck was the foam insulation they used in that chase retarded the wood from catching fire. That house is worth between 2-3 million.
                        Mike

Comment

I'll stick with good old threaded iron pipe after these stories!
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I'm in the lightning capital of North America.

Comment

I haven't used this stuff yet, and probably won't from all the things I have heard on the forum. I'll stay with the rigid pipe I've been using for years, at least I know I won't have problems with leaks and lightning.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X