DIY'er - To give or not to give?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

All I have to say is I'm glad I'm Union.

BUILT IN THE USA, WORK UNION, LIVE BETTER.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I think the next time I notice a low tire on the van I will bring it to a mechanic so I don't rob his poor family
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

That's the spirit
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbcrazy View Post
          When Ridgid is sued by a homeowner that went too far the lawyers will be asking:

Ridgid, you have an Expert Plumbers Forum. Are they employed by you? (My guess is no).

Ridgid, you advertise an Expert Plumbers Forum to dispense advice. What have you done to insure that they are really plumbers or experts in the field. (My guess - NOTHING)

Ridgid, you have had plumbers posting for months about doling out free advice where a homeowner could get seriously hurt. You ignored this why?

Ridgid - How are you not responsible for Homeowner Mr. Jones getting blown up? Your site, your Forums.

Sorry Ridgid - you have responsibility with what you allow to be done here. Ignorance will be no excuse.

Plumbers - A good lawsuit, with a good lawyer - you will be named too!

They may not win, but do you want to pay an attorney to defend you. It would bankrupt you.
          i think this covers them

Disclaimer
          RIDGE TOOL COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE MATERIALS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RELIABILITY OF ANY ADVICE, STATEMENT OR OTHER INFORMATION DISPLAYED OR DISTRIBUTED THROUGH THE SITE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE BY THE USE OF THE SITE THAT ANY RELIANCE ON ANY SUCH MATERIALS, ADVICE, STATEMENT OR INFORMATION SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK

Ridge Tool Company is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric Co. (“Emerson”), and the following website terms and conditions apply:
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Plumbcrazy- I just read your main post. Was your call out to union workers at me?

What you need to realize is that this whole thing is out of your and I's control.

It seems to me that those non union self employed shop owners having a slow or rough time are the first to call out and ***** about DIYers.
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              i think this covers them

Disclaimer
              RIDGE TOOL COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE MATERIALS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RELIABILITY OF ANY ADVICE, STATEMENT OR OTHER INFORMATION DISPLAYED OR DISTRIBUTED THROUGH THE SITE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE BY THE USE OF THE SITE THAT ANY RELIANCE ON ANY SUCH MATERIALS, ADVICE, STATEMENT OR INFORMATION SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK

Ridge Tool Company is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric Co. (“Emerson”), and the following website terms and conditions apply:
              The disclaimer does not prevent someone from suing. It means they may win the case if someone does sue. The cost to defend themselves could be very high.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                Plumbcrazy- I just read your main post. Was your call out to union workers at me?

What you need to realize is that this whole thing is out of your and I's control.

It seems to me that those non union self employed shop owners having a slow or rough time are the first to call out and ***** about DIYers.
                No, it wasn't directed at you. It's my observation in several forums.

Non-union self-employed whiners? Hardly. Before going strictly residential, worked in competitive bid commercial sector. Everytime we won a $5 million dollar job, union companies boohooed. And we beat them a lot of the time! Why? Because union shops have a hard time competing and being competitive. The government doesn't want to pay more for a project so you can make a super wage with all the benefits. A lot of union shops are slow, not because of DIY'ers, because of pay & benefits that have outpaced the market.

So I feel for you too! There is little we can do, but we can try. Your pay isn't exhorbitant, but is hard to get in the private sector.

Comment

O yeah it is. My pay on my check is $17.09 an hour, and with benefit's included I'm at $25.39 an hour.

I'm sure you pay your first year apprentices that too, right?

You contradict yourself. First my pay isn't all that, then it's hard to find being a rat? Wake up dude.
                  Last edited by Aaron91; 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Wish I made 25 an hour when I was 17.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

O yeah it is. My pay on my check is $17.09 an hour, and with benefit's included I'm at $25.39 an hour.

I'm sure you pay your first year apprentices that too, right?

You contradict yourself. First my pay isn't all that, then it's hard to find being a rat? Wake up dude.
                      aaron, you mean dudess

aaron, when i started in the union in 1981, journeyman base pay was $16.89 and 1st. year apprentice was $5.89
                      glad you got in and are going to turn out to be a well rounded, well educated, journeyman plumber and one day a contractor, business owner yourself.

that is as long as the plumbing trade is not "robot-tised"

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        aaron, you mean dudess
                        No Rick. The feminine of dude is dudette. If you are done, lets go eat.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Thanks Rick, schools already started and I'm excited about it.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

This is another topic that isn't all black & white, good & bad.

For workers & tradesmen the union is outstanding.

For shop owners it's an entirely different story.

My bro-in-law is a union carpenter, he worked for a commercial shop before they went union, then joined when they decided to go union.

He has had more trouble as a foreman with union guys that disappear on the job or slow jobs down than he ever had as non-union.

My bro-in-law has found it often easier to just work alone when possible, than call in for labor from the local hall because he spends so much time babysitting & hunting down workers that he gets alot of the jobs done faster alone.

This IS NOT a reflection of unions as a whole NOR the majority of it's members, but a reason why many shops won't go union.

In some cases the rules have gone far overboard to protect workers, many use that system to take advantage & it hurts all members when the reputation gets out.

Again, this is NOT a dis on unions, I truly wish I were union, but the few hurt the majority when they take advantage.

Comment

I just realized that you make more than I do. Why didn't I talk to the union recruiter instead of the navy recruiter? Aaron makes good money, no bills, HE'S BUYING DRINKS AT THE NEXT ROUNDUP. Jake, Chris don't forget.
                              Last edited by gear junkie; 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Let them all fix their faucets and screw it up so their handle opens the wrong way.
                                Let them all put their faucets in so the hot and cold are backwards.
                                Let them all use a fluidmaster glue repair kit for their flush valve.
                                Let them all install their own water heater and either go boom or die of carbon monoxide poisoning.
                                Let them all try and snake their own drains and the snake breaks and the front yard has to be dug up.
                                Let them all incorrectly vent their bathrooms and kitchens.
                                Let them all buy crappy materials from home depot.

Comment

Working...
                                X