Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY'er - To give or not to give?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

    Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Listing these kind of problems is the kind of thing that could convince a DIY to call the plumber. Arguing that it is bad for plumbers is never going to change a DIYers mind. Obviously, these are hard one lessons, and it is everyones choice as to whether or not they want to share them with DIYers.
    You're correct.

    The dialogue is directed to the plumbers.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

      Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Yes, Ridgid marketing uses this site for promotional/marketing purposes.

      The audience drawn for DIY questions is a free bonus, as they promote to the DIY market.

      Dude, I know I can be fecitious, but there is another extreme, things aren't always simple, good n bad.
      Duck,
      This has been a long day full of thought.
      I kindof mentioned a little bit to LadyPCrazy I do appreciate your position I just don't agree with it.
      At this point it does not change my opinion of anyone who does not see things the way I do.

      Take my relationship with Melissa for example.We see things differently,when I look in the mirror I don't see an a$$hole.
      Yet,that does not change the way I feel about her.
      ADAM

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Duck,
        This has been a long day full of thought.
        I kindof mentioned a little bit to LadyPCrazy I do appreciate your position I just don't agree with it.
        At this point it does not change my opinion of anyone who does not see things the way I do.

        Take my relationship with Melissa for example.We see things differently,when I look in the mirror I don't see an a$$hole.
        Yet,that does not change the way I feel about her.
        ADAM
        Thats just a given ya lugnut!

        As long as you don't start trapsing around the internet digging fer dirt to post on me we're good.

        My secret, diabolical plot to torment my wife, kid and DIY'ers was revealed here recently...lets not go there regarding the walks with fluffy kittens.

        Seriously, I have an opinion thats based on being a newer business in a newer time, others have their own opinions based on their own experiences.

        What it takes is the ability to place yourself in someone elses shoes and look past ego or emotion.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

          Originally posted by Plumbcrazy View Post
          You made me laugh. No, I wasn't referring to you as the old guy. However, today is very different. In the olden days you weren't competing against big franchises, with big advertising budgets sending out unskilled 'technicians' being passed off as plumbers. Homeowner goes to Yellow Pages and reads big fancy expensive ads and uses their services. The small guy must rely on their current customer base and referrals as there is little left over to take out a one page ad in the Yellow Pages. Where I live, the ad is close to $1000.00 per month. If I signed on, I would still be over 10 pages back.

          DIY'ers years ago, yes. But they were taking a bigger risk because they didn't have the internet for step by step instruction.
          We really don't know enough about you or your life experiences to know what your perspective is. I can tell you I have never done much in the Yellow Pages as I always felt it was a gimmick where you gave them all of your profit or they buried you in the back of the section.

          As far as franchises go the biggest one at the time was the 200-truck George Brazil Plumbing who started all of the big flat-rate franchises here in Los Angeles 50-years ago. However, they were far less competition to us then all of the laid off new construction plumbers that were moving into the service side because they owned a pickup.

          This is were the perspective side comes in. As a kid I don't remembering anyone hiring a tradesman. If you could not fix it yourself you had a neighbor who could. My dad was in the insurance business and didn't do too much stuff but my mom was handy and when she had to chose between food on the table or hiring an outsider she would find a way for us to do it. A prime example was my wife's father. For the 40-years I've known him he has been working on DIY projects. Whether it be the den he added on to his home or the camper he built for his truck he always had something going on. Today he is 85-years old and is out in his shop in 100 degree weather building carnival games for my daugther Jene who runs a Parks and Rec program. As I posted earlier being a DIY often has more to do with personal satisfaction than money saved.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

            Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I just realized that you make more than I do. Why didn't I talk to the union recruiter instead of the navy recruiter? Aaron makes good money, no bills, HE'S BUYING DRINKS AT THE NEXT ROUNDUP. Jake, Chris don't forget.
            ID Check?

            I don't know about you guys but I am proud as heck of him even if he's too young to buy drinks.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

              Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              HE'S BUYING DRINKS AT THE NEXT ROUNDUP.
              You'll have to order them though Aaron can only order you a coke
              I love my plumber

              "My Hero"

              Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                You'll have to order them though Aaron can only order you a coke
                Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                ID Check?

                I don't know about you guys but I am proud as heck of him even if he's too young to buy drinks.

                Mark
                minor details. With Aaron we even have a designated driver. Yes, high fives all around!!!!!!!
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                  Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  ID Check?

                  I don't know about you guys but I am proud as heck of him even if he's too young to buy drinks.

                  Mark
                  no problem mark, most of us prefer a root beer or a chocolate milkshake


                  rick.
                  phoebe it is

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                    Thanks Mark(ToUtahNow), means a lot coming from a guy with the knowledge such as yourself.
                    Proud To Be Union!!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                      Hey now, at least next year I won't be a minor.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        We really don't know enough about you or your life experiences to know what your perspective is. I can tell you I have never done much in the Yellow Pages as I always felt it was a gimmick where you gave them all of your profit or they buried you in the back of the section.

                        As far as franchises go the biggest one at the time was the 200-truck George Brazil Plumbing who started all of the big flat-rate franchises here in Los Angeles 50-years ago. However, they were far less competition to us then all of the laid off new construction plumbers that were moving into the service side because they owned a pickup.

                        This is were the perspective side comes in. As a kid I don't remembering anyone hiring a tradesman. If you could not fix it yourself you had a neighbor who could. My dad was in the insurance business and didn't do too much stuff but my mom was handy and when she had to chose between food on the table or hiring an outsider she would find a way for us to do it. A prime example was my wife's father. For the 40-years I've known him he has been working on DIY projects. Whether it be the den he added on to his home or the camper he built for his truck he always had something going on. Today he is 85-years old and is out in his shop in 100 degree weather building carnival games for my daugther Jene who runs a Parks and Rec program. As I posted earlier being a DIY often has more to do with personal satisfaction than money saved.

                        Mark
                        We have a senior community that got raped beyond belief back in the mid to late eighties.It hurt a lot of people's elders.I could not believe people were capable of this.It was kind of a wake up call for me.Ever since then I have been untrusting of larger company service plumbers and their ability to sell more than plumb(They are like tweekers they don't like to admit to others who/what they are).

                        On a positive note,since I have joined ridgid forum I have found people who can run a larger company with integrity instead of greed.I'm still just paranoid I guess.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          We have a senior community that got raped beyond belief back in the mid to late eighties.It hurt a lot of people's elders.I could not believe people were capable of this.It was kind of a wake up call for me.Ever since then I have been untrusting of larger company service plumbers and their ability to sell more than plumb(They are like tweekers they don't like to admit to others who/what they are).

                          On a positive note,since I have joined ridgid forum I have found people who can run a larger company with integrity instead of greed.I'm still just paranoid I guess.
                          I was just relieved to see you west coasters finally concede that all flat rate guys weren't rip-offs.

                          Generaliziong or steriotyping can be a very bad thing.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            I was just relieved to see you west coasters finally concede that all flat rate guys weren't rip-offs.

                            Generaliziong or steriotyping can be a very bad thing.
                            Actually I believe I have posted either system can be abused.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                              Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              We have a senior community that got raped beyond belief back in the mid to late eighties.It hurt a lot of people's elders.I could not believe people were capable of this.It was kind of a wake up call for me.Ever since then I have been untrusting of larger company service plumbers and their ability to sell more than plumb(They are like tweekers they don't like to admit to others who/what they are).

                              On a positive note,since I have joined ridgid forum I have found people who can run a larger company with integrity instead of greed.I'm still just paranoid I guess.
                              Dirty Hands - no one wants this. Plumbers should charge a fair price for what they do. However, if small plumbing companies go under due to the availability of plumbers giving free instruction, it will make those companies even more powerful. Should have known it all started in CA - just one more thing to thank CA for.

                              Aaron - Your wage is an excellent wage. Most small companies cannot afford to pay their Plumbers (not apprentices) that wage with benefits. You have no idea what health insurance costs are to the small business owner.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: DIY'er - To give or not to give?

                                Originally posted by Plumbcrazy View Post
                                Dirty Hands - no one wants this. Plumbers should charge a fair price for what they do. However, if small plumbing companies go under due to the availability of plumbers giving free instruction, it will make those companies even more powerful. Should have known it all started in CA - just one more thing to thank CA for.

                                Aaron - Your wage is an excellent wage. Most small companies cannot afford to pay their Plumbers (not apprentices) that wage with benefits. You have no idea what health insurance costs are to the small business owner.
                                When are you and your Hubby planning on coming out to visit us.
                                Toolaholic is puting up the steaks.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X