I guess it wasn't moen
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Re: Stem identification

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      I guess it wasn't moen
      LOL. I just got tired of looking through the book at that point. Actually thought it may have been Kohler and just went a few pages more.

Comment

Did you try American Standard's west German stem?
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
          That bonnet looks like a Sterling. Need more info. Tub Valve? Diverter?
          A little better pic would help. How about length?
          It is for a lavatory faucet. Original to the house that I guesstimate was built in late 70's early 80's.

I don't have a size but is about 3"-4". All of the other fixtures in the house is Kohler & Moen.

The other thing that may help is the washer is secured by a nut and not a bib screw.

Thanks in advance.
          Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

I'm not as good at stem id. but have often had luck showing someone a picture of the trim. Also look at the spout and drain as they're sometimes stamped in strange places. Might get you headed toward the right brand.
            Just thinking.

J.C.

Comment

Yes, I agree pictures of the trim. Problem is this job is about 40 minutes from my shop and is in Connecticut.

It was a service call from a guy who owns a few businesses in my area that I have been doing work for years and this is his house.

He had about 6 other items to repair as well and all are done except this. We have a very good faucet repair specialty store right near my shop. I will see if they have any idea by showing them the pictures.

I will let you know the outcome if I find out the brand. If you have any other ideas about the manufacturer Im all ears. Thanks again. Chris

Comment

M.P. - The nut instead of screw tells me that this thing is a lot older than the house. Also the way it's made is more complicated than the way newer stems are made. Manufacturers just don't spend money like that any more. Chicago is one of the few that still use the nut to retain the bibb washer, but I don't think this is a Chicago. Time is money. You may want to consider going ahead and replacing this faucet instead of expending further resources on finding parts.
                I know that Chicago still used the nut but It doesnt look like a Chicago faucet (trim). I normally would recommend replacement but this is a special situation ( see one post up). Thanks for taking the time to help. Chris

Comment

Looks familiar. I would say Chicago also. Flip back through the book and check Crane as well

Comment

If you send it into Dinapoli, they'll find it or make it for you, right?
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Crane also came to my mind. What is puzzling is that it looks like a two piece stem with the bottom part that contains the bibb washer moving up and down inside a barrel somehow. I wish I could see more detail on how it works.
                      There is definitely a conventional seat. It is a 2 piece stem. When you turn it the "bottom part" moves up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Looks familiar. I would say Chicago also. Flip back through the book and check Crane as well
                        I checked all the Crane and didnt see one in my book. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                          If you send it into Dinapoli, they'll find it or make it for you, right?
                          I have a faucet repair specialty supplier here. Its just far away from the job. But I did check the Dinapoli catalog. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X