X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.O. Smith Diptube

I pulled an A.O. Smith diptube out of a 1 yr. old 50 gallon NG heater today and was surprised at how short it is. I swear it was only about 30" max. I do know there "jet" principle but it seems inefficient so far up from the bottom. Any reasoning for it being this short?

J.C.

Re: A.O. Smith Diptube

I've noticed that as well. It seems like the lower in the tank the greater the benefit. Maybe I am missing something here as well.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I didn't have time to measure but I swear it seemed a good 15" off of the bottom. And yes I was allowing for the burner and the concave of the inner tank. Curious.

J.C.

Comment

Yes the diptube was all there. A misdiagnosis by yours truly.

J.C.

Comment

Maybe it's got something to do with "mixing" the water better possibly? According to Bradford white, their HWT tanks with their "Hydrojet technology" produce more hot water because there isn't a stratification of the hot water & cold water in the tank but better mixing of the incoming water with the hot water in the tank. Maybe this is the A.O. version? OR maybe they just started getting cheap with their Dip tubes.

As much as I hate it, I'm a much bigger fan of cold water connections at the base of the tank into the drain pipe with the hot coming out of the top of the tank. Yes it's a PITA to get the pipe coming up to look nice or possibly inconvenient more so than a top connection but it's more practical and it naturally keeps reduces sediment this way.

Comment

all ao dips are short---i pulled my first years ago and argued with ao that its too short---they told me its designed that way to stirr up water------

ill stick to my bradford white, ao's dont last long and are recall nightmares

Comment

We switched back to A.O Smith after using BW for a few years. We always seemed to have some sort of problem with the BW. One of the things we discovered was that the dip tubes were too short on the BWs(sound familiar?). According to the manufacturers the tubes were shortened to comply with Uncle Sam's energy guidelines.

We did not have trouble with the A.O. Smith's when we used them years ago and no trouble now.

A.O. Smith, Bradford White,Rheem,Lochinvar, they are all pretty much the same. A.O. Smith owns American and State, so who knows anymore which is best.

It all boils down to personal preference, sort of like trucks (Chevy vs. Ford) or ice cream (which is better vanilla, choclate or strawberry)

Comment

Never seen a Lochinvar make it past the warranty period, and half the time an A.O. Smith will not make it past 6 years. Best to go with a Rheem.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I used AOSmith for a while a few years back and had trouble with every one I installed. Primarily, I had to chisel out the openings where the nipples go because they didn't line up with the thread-o-lets. I've seen early failures on AOSmith more often than others. And I noticed that a number of them had almost no foam insulation on the top - just a big gap where it didn't fill.

I have no problems at all with Rheem. They last longer. They work well. I've found that, in our high-sediment area, the BW will burn out an element about twice as soon as a Rheem and have far more lime sediment to clear out.

Comment

What is a thread-o-let??

Comment

Just thought I'd show a picture of the tube beside the heater.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-04-2008, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X