X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for Symmons Visu-Temp repair

No H2O from shower. This is a Symmons VT Safteymix Visu-Temp.

Looks just like this one:

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/S.../58683/Cat/874

Re: Any tips for Symmons Visu-Temp repair

jeff, the cartridge/ stem should be the same as a typical symmons.

first make sure your high temp limit screw is not too tight, that limits the hot.

shut off screwdriver stops and remove the stem. test for proper flow from hot and cold.

plenty of hot, problem is a stuck piston in the pressure balance assembly of the stem. the piston should move freely. try soaking in vinegar and tapping. or replace.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Here's some homework before you take the plunge.
      http://www.symmons.com/Contractors-a...tymix_ins.ashx
      Page 3 has a parts view of the valve. C-5 is the spindle Rick is talking about.

Comment

C-5 is a less common spindle than the TA-10(and not interchangable) if I remember correctly.
        Rick
        Good description for standard proceadure for a stuck symmons valve. I had relitives who worked for the symmons brothers. I didn't know how wide spread they sold. I havn't found one in SW Florida yet.
        Mike

Comment

good photo jim

another thing about symmons to be aware of.

the packing nut for the cartridge is always under pressure even with the valve off

the seats rarely go bad, but they're not cheap and a seat wrench is a must. i've done it before with bar stock, but you get 1 chance before you screw it up

to me symmons is a commercial valve and not a very pretty valve for residential. i personally don't care for them

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

The safetymix and temptrol cartridges are not the same part. Safetymix is longer, the gasket kits are different, and the seats are different.

Comment

jim, you want pita

try a "tempress valve" made in canada

grohe and newport brass both use these junk valves.

even they don't have the proper repair parts.

those plastic seats/ filters are problematic with o-rings and the valve cover plate has leaks from the stem opening.

i guess it's time for a new thread

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Symmons, like Tempress, is an OEM valve supplier to a number of other manufacturers. I had a real battle with a Concinnity (no longer in production) not too long ago. The stem would turn, but the valve wouldn't function. Upon inspection, I saw that the stem had been customized by Concinnity using and internal thread and locktite. When the locktite gave out the handle would spin. So, I soldered the stem back together. So far so good, but if it lets go again, I'll silver solder it.

Comment

Working...
                X