Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Licensed vs. Unlicensed

here we are required as a journeyman to take classes on basic electrical because we wire water heaters and garbage disposals. but average joe can buy a drain cleaning machine on craigslist and be a drain cleaner, than a painter, than a landscaper all in the same day. if im roughing in a house or cleaning a mainline im proud of my card.
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

For the same reason a Dr should be licensed, a lawyer, or an engineer (certified).

To charge a homeowner for a service that could endanger their health, safety or sanitation, yet not have to meet a set standard would be unscrupulous.

So, yeah, there are plumbers who are sub-par, but that doesn't excuse a self proclaimed Dr from doing basement liposuction that yields a dead customer.

Why should a person be allowed to install gas water heaters or boilers when he may not be aware that a back pitch on a draft vent could put a family to sleep permanently?

Like I said, I see an irony...Devine.

Comment

You obviously don't understand that you and I are on the same side. Have I made some mistakes in the past? You better believe it. The OP was in regards to the need for drain cleaners to be gov't regulated, and I am all for gov't regulation. I may not be a plumber, but I can still see the importance in "Protecting the health of the nation."
        Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

You and I are far from the same side.
          There are likely countless things you do regularly that you don't realize you shouldn't do because you've never been trained, never taken the time to work for someone who showed you how, never been through school that you had to pay for.

Until you have done these things, you're not in a position to speak about protecting the health of a nation.

I will not forget your openly boasting of taking work from legitimate plumbers in your area at dirt rates while they starve, it was a hoot.

Charging $600 for water heaters when you don't have the overhead a legitimate shop has doesn't entitle you to call yourself a plumber.

Comment

BTW: I have worked in a large operation for 18 months, I did spend a year in a trade school (most of the guys there looked like they just got out of a jail cell, and the teacher couldn't do basic multiplication)

Comment

Devine,

Some day you will have to get your business in order. If I were you I would go find an Attorney who specializes in Contractor Law for your State and pay for a consultation.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Decided to just get out while the getting was good. Did end up getting liability insurance and am doing more of the handyman thing now. Augering drains, repairing faucets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Decided to just get out while the getting was good. Did end up getting liability insurance and am doing more of the handyman thing now. Augering drains, repairing faucets, etc.
                  Sorry, still don't believe you. If it were true, then why is your website still up www.devineplumbing You don't belong in this section, you should be on "ask the professionals" and not as a pro, but as a DIY
                  The Other Rick

Comment

Licensed is the only way to go. Here you have to be licensed to open a potable water system or sanitary sewer system. I'm not claiming that persons without licenses don't know what they are doing. Licensing assures that you where capable and knowable at the time of the test. It says that your are insured as you have to provide insurance certificates to get renewed every year. It holds you accountable for your work, either do it right or loose your license. If you open a system you should be licensed period. With the economy the way it is right now there are a lot of new tradesman popping up daily. Low-balling jobs and then hacking them in. Just caught one the other day doing a boiler sat and took pictures of the boiler going in the house. PI showed up right away and shut there asses down. No licenses, no permits, no insurance doing a oil to gas conversion into an unlined brick chimney. No plumbing permit, electrical permit, no fire department permit and no gas company notification. Somebody ends up dead or sick and it looks bad for all of us Licensed or Unlicensed.
                    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I would be for a drain cleaning certificate or license. It sucks when the homeowner asks, "So what type of certification do drain cleaners have?" It sucks when I have to say, "There really is no license in our area."

With no license, drain cleaners can undercut plumbers for drain cleaning. Even though some plumbers don't do drain cleaning anymore and just outsource it, it can still hurt other plumber's business.

Plus, it would give me more justification to be charging a decent amount. I mean, legally, I'm no better off than a handyman. I'm getting my hours written off, but still, to have a license or some sort of certificate that could ease the mind of the homeowners would be a big plus.
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

It amazes me that you can set up a draining cleaning business in the US and not be a licensed plumber as it is not possible where I come from, for sometimes when clearing a sewer you are faced with entering the authorities sewer and the first thing they ask for is your licensed number and if you don`t have one then the game is up with either fine or a jail term as they take the health of our cities seriously, but evidently that is not the case in the US.

Tony

Comment

Under our jurisdiction we do have a sewer and drain cleaners license, but the flip side to it is you are supposed to have a masters license to pull a trap or a water closet. Go figure.

Comment

WOW I guess we have no libertarians in the trades. O.K. I want the license for drain cleaning to cost $100,000 dollars and a 2 year apprenticeship NO GRANDFATHERING. What is wrong with a guy buying equipment and being in business for himself. Are there That many people dieing from unlicensed drain cleaners? If it was a problem I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. Can't we let the free market work for something? If people think I haven't given them there moneys worth they never have to call me again and and they can tell there friends.

I think you guys that do drain cleaning that want a speacial license may think way to highly of your job. I like drain cleaning better then any part of my business but it's just drain cleaning not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                              It amazes me that you can set up a draining cleaning business in the US and not be a licensed plumber as it is not possible where I come from, for sometimes when clearing a sewer you are faced with entering the authorities sewer and the first thing they ask for is your licensed number and if you don`t have one then the game is up with either fine or a jail term as they take the health of our cities seriously, but evidently that is not the case in the US.

Tony
                              Yes we in the USA are living in filth and feces. sewage is running in our streets. Give me a break. You think way to highly of your trade dude or yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                                WOW I guess we have no libertarians in the trades. O.K. I want the license for drain cleaning to cost $100,000 dollars and a 2 year apprenticeship NO GRANDFATHERING. What is wrong with a guy buying equipment and being in business for himself. Are there That many people dieing from unlicensed drain cleaners? If it was a problem I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. Can't we let the free market work for something? If people think I haven't given them there moneys worth they never have to call me again and and they can tell there friends.

I think you guys that do drain cleaning that want a speacial license may think way to highly of your job. I like drain cleaning better then any part of my business but it's just drain cleaning not rocket science.
                                I'm a libertarian

I don't think drain cleaning is rocket science, but I do believe drain cleaners should have basic knowledge of a DWV system and how things are plumbed. It would be good if there was a difference between a guy with a drain cleaning machine and a guy with a drain cleaning machine who has knowledge of a basic DWV system. I made up the first question to the drain cleaning certification/license test already:

1. You arrive at a house and the bathtub, toilet, and sink are backed up on the second (main) floor, which of the following is the BEST option?

a) Open the main drain clean out in the basement and snake the main drain
                                b) Open the main drain clean out in the basement and use a jetter
                                c) Run a cable through the overflow in the bathtub
                                d) None of the above (explain your answer on a separate sheet of paper)

YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X