Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
    WOW I guess we have no libertarians in the trades. O.K. I want the license for drain cleaning to cost $100,000 dollars and a 2 year apprenticeship NO GRANDFATHERING. What is wrong with a guy buying equipment and being in business for himself. Are there That many people dieing from unlicensed drain cleaners? If it was a problem I'm sure we would have heard about it by now. Can't we let the free market work for something? If people think I haven't given them there moneys worth they never have to call me again and and they can tell there friends.

I think you guys that do drain cleaning that want a speacial license may think way to highly of your job. I like drain cleaning better then any part of my business but it's just drain cleaning not rocket science.
    NO license needed where I am for drain cleaning.

I'm not speaking for everyone, but I don't think drain cleaning really needs as in-depth a license or certification that plumbing or electrical do, but imo, if you're charging homeowners to do anything that could create damage or future problems, I think there should be at least some level of required knowledge & training.

My reason is that you might have to compete with an 18 yr old kid living with mom and dad who got a loan from them to buy a used K-60 and now charges half what you do because he's clueless as to liability, overhead, what not to do and where to not cross the line between plumbing and cleaning.

If you do some research, you'll find most markets that are lenient on licensing also have a lower pay scale. (I couldn't imagine plumbing for a living in PA for example)
    This is because any kid with a station wagon can buy some tools and call himself a professional, leaving an experienced pro to compete with that standard for pricing, it reflects the local market one way or another assuring a degradation of the given trade as professionals walk away for greener pastures.

I don't think the government should be prodding into every little detail of small businesses, but when it's your 86 yr old mother that gets conned into paying for some kid to come out and rupture her 60 yr old galvy drains because the kid had no idea what he was doing, it puts things in another perspective.

Comment

All ya gotta know is

Urine is Yellow

Poop is Brown

The two mixed together

Makes you the #1 guy in town
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

In my opinion I would have to say that I would be against a license for drain cleaning as it wiuld just be another certificate that the State would make the plumber get in addition to his State license. We have allready seen this in my area with Gasline work, Hydronics, Backflows and whatever else the Government thinks they can collect money from the honest businessman that will only do the work they are certified to do.
        Our company for instance has the needed state plumbing masters license but we chose not to get certified in gas line work as we dont do enough work on gaslines to justify the expense of having the gasline certification, along with the added continuing edjucation and other expenses added to it.
        I would be all for a drain cleaning license but I know that the would say the masters plumbing license just is not enough anymore and make us have to pay for another unneeded piece of paper.
        The best bet in my opinion is only let actual licensed plumber do drain cleaning as most of the jobs I have been on after some of the drain cleaners in my area have been there before me and messed up so bad are the ones that will affect the health and safty of our public.
        Sorry if I misspelled any words or used improper punctutions I am a plumber not an engish teacher

Comment

Cant believe I misspelled English teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim
            In order to do effective drain cleaning, you need to know a little something about plumbing. Just like a good service man should have a background in new construction. Many's the time I have gone to a stoppage and the customer has disconnected the p-trap or pulled the toilet or done something else that requires me to put it all back together. More often than not you will need some material and the know-how to restore it to working order. Or how about a copper waste arm that has a hole eaten in it? Once you clear the clog can you fix that? If you're gonna do plumbing, you should be able to do it all.
            Extremely good points.

Drain cleaners will deny it, but I can't see how they get past these situations.

Comment

Here is what I think of plumbers and drain cleaning. I show up for a home owner they say here is the trouble please fix it. A plumber calls and always wants me to check the vents----Because they know nothing of drain cleaning---- I ask them to please check the septic but they assure me it can't be a full septic because it isn't acting like it should be a full septic------ Because they know nothing of drain cleaning------ Plumbers send me a lot of drain cleaning and they try to be helpful but plumbing and drain cleaning are different and you don't need a licence to figure it out. The bad info I get from plumbers proves that.

As far as the test. I still diagnose problems wrong. I pull my cable back scratch my head and try something else. How is that for a test? My pass or fail is if a plumber calls me back to another job or if the Home owner is happy. I just don't like government involvement in something that has been fine without it.

Who started this Thread anyway Lets move onto something important like toilet seat bidets.

Comment

I'm confuselized, I thought YOU were a plumber?

Comment

Here is what I think of plumbers and drain cleaning. I show up for a home owner they say here is the trouble please fix it. A plumber calls and always wants me to check the vents----Because they know nothing of drain cleaning---- I ask them to please check the septic but they assure me it can't be a full septic because it isn't acting like it should be a full septic------ Because they know nothing of drain cleaning------ Plumbers send me a lot of drain cleaning and they try to be helpful but plumbing and drain cleaning are different and you don't need a licence to figure it out. The bad info I get from plumbers proves that.

As far as the test. I still diagnose problems wrong. I pull my cable back scratch my head and try something else. How is that for a test? My pass or fail is if a plumber calls me back to another job or if the Home owner is happy. I just don't like government involvement in something that has been fine without it.

Who started this Thread anyway Lets move onto something important like toilet seat bidets.
                  Is that you Devine?

Nobody here has ever knocked licensing...unless they didn't have one themselves. Jealousy?
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

SOME plumbers are bad drain-cleaners...true.

But being a licensed plumber and knowing how to rough-in a 12 bathroom home's DWV system to code combined with over a decade of hands on drain-cleaning experience makes me a better drain-cleaner than most unlicensed non-plumber drain-cleaners imo.

Plus, often my drain-cleaning jobs turn into permitted re-pipe jobs. My license is a HUGE asset to my drain-cleaning business.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                      I'm confuselized, I thought YOU were a plumber?
                      I am. I learned drain cleaning on my own. It was an expensive learning curve and the plumbing licence didn't help much.

Comment

I am. I learned drain cleaning on my own. It was an expensive learning curve and the plumbing licence didn't help much.
                        I think I see the problem...
                        You DO realize that a license entitles you to install & service more than just bidets...right?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

This does not make sense to me at all. I have never, ever heard of a good plumber that knew nothing of drain cleaning. They may not want to do it because they are so busy with other plumbing work. It makes no sense to me that a licensed individual that knows how to design & install DWV systems couldn't know something about a problem within the system.

J.C.

Comment

Lets move onto something important like toilet seat bidets.

Hey I'm waiting on an answer from Kenny on this statement!

Awe damn Geraldo Rivera just blew across my tv screen, always taking advantage of a major crisis.

Thinking about this for a minute,

If hurricane Ike is coming to texas, Tina better think about staying 1000 feet or miles away...
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

When you took your plumbing license was it a skills test or a test about Codes. In California and Nevada the test is based on business practices and code questions. The idea of a drain cleaner being licensed would be to insure they understand the portions of the codes related to their trade. It should be a lesser license to the the plumbing license so a plumber would not need an additional license to clean drains. The amount of plumbing a drain cleaner should be allowed to do should still have a maximum amount similar to the current handyman exemptions. That way they could pull a trap or a water closet but they would not be allowed to replace DWV systems.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

How about this for an idea. A properly installed DWV system in good condition will not plug, EVER. If there is a plug, there is a problem. (roots, backpitch, improper sizing, illegal fittings). I don't think I've ever left a drain cleaning without selling an additional service. Most lines I don't even bother to clean, just cut them out and replace them.

Comment

Working...
                                X