Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Based on a post in another thread I had a thought. There seems to be a lot of talk regarding DIYs vs. Licensed Contractors. I'm not sure how it is where you guys work but in my area there is no license required for drain cleaners. I understand many areas allow a handyman exemption but I am wondering what is required in your jurisdictions? To go one step further do you believe drain cleaners should be required to have at least minimum requirements of knowledge in life safety and health threats?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Licensed vs. Unlicensed

Good topic.

Having seen the aftermath of drain cleaners that have to cut out plumbing or add cleanouts, I'd say there should be at least some form of licensing.

I can't imagine drain cleaners don't come across requests to do plumbing.

Comment

You're working on plumbing, you should have a license. Maybe a separate drain license, but a license none the less.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        Based on a post in another thread I had a thought. There seems to be a lot of talk regarding DIYs vs. Licensed Contractors. I'm not sure how it is where you guys work but in my area there is no license required for drain cleaners. I understand many areas allow a handyman exemption but I am wondering what is required in your jurisdictions? To go one step further do you believe drain cleaners should be required to have at least minimum requirements of knowledge in life safety and health threats?

Mark
        Yup!!

Comment

i'm a drain cleaner. nothing more. ther eis no licensing for drain cleaners in the territory. i DO NOT do plumbing. my agreement with the plumbers i work with is they DO NOT do drain cleaning and i DO NOT do plumbing. i have the $$$ invested in machines and the camera. at best they have a top snake. i have the goods!!!

i'm sorry if this offends some BUT drain cleaning is not a rocket surgery or brain science type of thing. i DO have a more than basic understanding of plumbing design and function. i fill a niche (here) that has been left to an arrogant buttwipe that overcharges and does a half assed job and is a MASTER plumber. this clown coudn't plumb his butt out of a corner if his freaking life depended on it.

i've seen crap work from licensed master plumbers that any novice would recognize as pure garbage.

most of the plumbers that came from the states and decided they could "fool the locals" with a good line and cheap work (at outlandish prices) are more the norm than not.

this isn't the west coast and thank the gods it's not most of the east coast, it's just a little territory called The U.S. Virgin Islands.

if this rant offends anyone, please feel free to e-mail or PM me. i'll give you my phone # and talk this out.

and while we're at it. you guys need to check your word usage. "weather" for "whether", "there" for "their" are just 2 examples that drive me up the wall. if you print or write out invoices like that just what are your customers thinking?

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Anyone working with any type of plumbing should have a concept of how things are run, and how they drain. In Illinois there is no license required to clean drains. However, I believe they should be licensed by the health department. An ignorant drain cleaner could create more of a hazard by being messy, repiping (illegally) something incorrectly etc. True its not rocket science, but you are dealing with a biohazard. Protect the health of the Nation!

Comment

The number one line we hear for non-licensed rationalization is "I know a plumber who does crap work.".

Sorry, I do too...but that line doesn't entirely discount the validity of my trade, period.

I can respect a drain cleaner that invests thousands in equipment & respects the line between licensing, but will not listen to one who uses that line to do his own work, at all.

I have seen unlicensed guys look at plumbing and come to the conclusion that it was crap, when in fact, it was done right and they had no idea what they were talking about.

Comment

I am in agreement with you. If someone does not have a general knowledge of how things work, and cannot pass a written test, there is no way they should be touching anything. It should not be rocket science, but it would assure the customer that they are dealing with a professional. Plumbing is different than drain cleaning and they should be licensed as such.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I think they should be licensed and they are required here. Maybe a seperate draincleaner's test? I have a book on sewer cleaning there's about 9 chapters but there's only 1 chapter on machines. Everything else is about plumbing systems, septic systems, grease traps and the such. there's more to being a draincleaner than knowing how to run a machine. Sectional of course.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Fella's I'm a licenced plumber and I do drain cleaning. Non licensed people have been drain cleaning for a long long time. They have been doing it pretty good and I don't think they have done it better or worse than any plumbers. Please leave big brother out of a business that has been fine without government intervention.

I know it would help me by not allowing nonlicensed people to drain clean, but I don't want government forced job security.

If you want licencing make it completely separate from a plumbing license and no grandfathering. Now what do you think of it?

Please guys don't add another bureaucracy on a business That is doing fine

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                      Fella's I'm a licenced plumber and I do drain cleaning. Non licensed people have been drain cleaning for a long long time. They have been doing it pretty good and I don't think they have done it better or worse than any plumbers. Please leave big brother out of a business that has been fine without government intervention.

I know it would help me by not allowing nonlicensed people to drain clean, but I don't want government forced job security.

If you want licencing make it completely separate from a plumbing license and no grandfathering. Now what do you think of it?

Please guys don't add another bureaucracy on a business That is doing fine

If you are using this rationalization, then we must conclude that government should be left out of regulating all types of business'. Electrical, plumbing, building, car repair, etc. are all at least as dangerous to the public as drain cleaning. However, in my opinion all of these would all be fine without any government regulation. The best in the industry would survive, and the others would fall by the wayside. If you are going to regulate business, you really need to regulate all business'.
                      Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 09-11-2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Devine, I want to be on your side. Especially when you're not arguing for the sake of it. You seem to be a smart & ethical guy (except for jacking up the control system on your own water heater-NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!)

You've probably even got enough experience to sit for the test. So go do it.

I'll agree with you that if business were unregulated the good ones would rise to the top and bad ones would go to the wayside. But with regulation, it decreases the chance of water contamination, people getting sick, & average consumers getting taken by poor craftsmanship/shady businesses dramatically.

And until you hold equal or higher credentials than people you're debating, your opinion is going to have less weight.

J.C.

Comment

I am for regulation of drain cleaning if everything else is going to be regulated due to the potential health concerns. However, I see a day not to far into the future where every service industry will be regulated, drywallers, painters, lawn care, babysitters, etc. A license for everything and anything. Lawn mower blades spinning at that speed is an accident waiting to happen. Just wait until you are busted for cutting your own grass.
                          Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I see an irony.

Comment

For those who were offended by the question I was not implying anyone here is not qualified to do their job. I think we have to ask ourselves what is the purpose of plumbers being licensed? The easy thing is to suggest licensing is just another way to collect money from hard working plumbers. However, consider over 8,000 people came down with cases of SARS which was started by a faulty DWV system. Of the over 8,000 people over 800 of those people died.

For those who never took the opportunity to read "Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization" you should buy the book and read it. It was a book plumbdog recommended on this site a while back and it talks about how the safe and sanitary handling of potable water and waste water has prevented many of the plagues from continuing and has extended our average lifespan.

Currently in California anyone with a little money can go out and start a drain cleaning business. I am not suggesting they need a plumbers license but I do think they should have to prove basic understanding of the DWV system and environmental issues related to sewage overflows.

Mark
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM.
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X