Plumbing Union numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing Union numbers

I worked non union aka rat for nearly 3 years, at 3 different shops.

I've been union for only 4 months now, but can already tell the differences(for the better).
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
      And half the pay and benefits!
      Well I was never duped into working for any less than the union wage, in fact the company I came up with paid around 5% higher than the union. Our benny's were always good too. I will say the union pension was one thing that we never got, though since I started my own shop, it really wouldn't have done me any good anyways.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

And lose the 'rat', 'scab' whatever talk too,there are alot of knowledgeable non-union guys around, specifically on this forum. The only scab in my opinion, is the guy who cuts down or belittles his fellow plumber, or gives him a bad name by doing shoddy work. You've been union 4 months, doesn't mean your wisdom on the issue is infinite.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          \ Our benny's were always good too.
          Great benny's. Linda runs a tight ship

Comment

I've been union for only 4 months now, but can already tell the differences(for the better).
            Aaron I'd be careful calling a non union guy aka RAT. Some here may take offense. I have been in unions since the age of 18. I am now 31. Unions are not all they are cracked up to be. Their benefits certainly vary by region in my opinion.

Originally posted by stecar View Post
            While I would never put down a non union guy for wanting to work, I can say when you are in the trade for 20 years and getting paid the same amount as a second year helper, thats where I have an issue. I have only been a Union Plumber for 6 years, I will outperform any non union in any commercial project outhere. Like I said, I would not be one to say I am better person than them because I am union, you are what you make of your schooling. oh yeah and my $75 an hour package aint bad either
            At 6 yrs time in the local you don't make a pimple on a master plumbers A$$. You young guys are what give the unions a bad rap. With your "I'm better than any non union aka RAT worker out there."

Give me a break! I have seen some amazing work done by non union shops. Their work far surpassed many of the union shops I know. Their is always somebody who can do it better and faster than you out there somewhere. You won't make many friends around here with that attitude son.

I apprenticed with hundreds of guys that could never do anything but put pipe in holes on track housing projects. Ask them to rebuild a low profile one piece toilet.....NOT A CHANCE!!! Ask them to rod a backed up sewer....GROSS, I"M NOT DOING THAT!!! Hang a wall hung toilet in a commercial building.....CAN I USE A PIPE WRENCH ON THAT SHINY PIPE?

Drop the I'm better than you attitude and have respect for those who are working hard to the best of their ability. Union or not, if someone is doing work that passes code, has a license and does nice work they have my respect.
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

You or your wife better FEED that kid....cute! Kids are great!
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah the unions are great.....When there is work. This is NOT a knock on the union but lets see how great they are when there is no work and you have to go drive a cab or something because you can't do side work to feed your family. Unions have their benefits but to call a non-union guy a rat is dumb. 3 years at 3 different shops?
                Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-15-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Bigpipe09- I've been in the local long enough to realize the great benefits and room for advancement.

Jrsaltz- Do you really want me to point out what you cant do?

The list will be a lot longer. A commerical/industrial plumber has it alot harder than a shack plumber.

Work the passes code is the minimum. Lets talk about above and beyond that. I was able to rough in a house at 16 years old that passed inspection the first time around, it's not rocket science homie.

Masterplumb- Our local is roughly 10 years strong right now with 0 guys on the bench. I bet you maybe have 2 weeks of work sitting around at this second, am I right?

Reasons for leaving each shop...

Shop #1- Was being paid $3 over minimum wage and working like a dog.

Shop #2- Was being paid $4 over minimum wage and worked around a lot of drugs.

Shop #3- I left to join the local. Not to mention the pay sucked too.

It's so frustrating try to explain the training, pay, and benefits of a union to a group of close minded folks like yourself.
                  Last edited by Aaron91; 09-15-2008, 03:11 PM.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Aaron, it sounds like Union is the way to go in your area. Good choice. Every area is different. There are no plumbing unions around here. The only way to get good pay is to be a great plumber and demand to be paid what you are worth. Union is not the only way to make money.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

And I agree.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

How dissapointing.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Bigpipe09- I've been in the local long enough to realize the great benefits and room for advancement.

The list will be a lot longer. A commerical/industrial plumber has it alot harder than a shack plumber.

Work the passes code is the minimum. Lets talk about above and beyond that. I roughed in houses at 16 years old that passed inspection the first time around, it's not rocket science homie.

Masterplumb- Our local is roughly 10 years strong right now with 0 guys on the bench. I bet you maybe have 2 weeks of work sitting around at this second, am I right?

It's so frustrating try to explain the training, pay, and benefits of a union to a group of close minded folks like yourself.

Aaron-

Toe to toe with me is not where you want to be my friend!

I've seen and worked with your kind before. I understand the union better than you ever will. I was an instructor for the local that i was a part of. I taught a service class to 3rd yrs. Don't think for one minute that you've got more experiance than me.

Go ahead and tell me what I can't do Aaron. Last time I checked you can't even hold a pipe wrench in your hand with out a journeyman standing by. FRESHMAN

Myself however, I have a licesence in my pocket that says I can do what ever I want. Like I said before.... think about what you say to people before you put your foot in your mouth.

Lose the attitude KID!
                          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Work the passes code is the minimum. Lets talk about above and beyond that. I roughed in houses at 16 years old that passed inspection the first time around, it's not rocket science homie.

Umm No.. I come from a family with 3 union plumbers in it, Local 1 and local 21. If I wanted to be in the union I could have very easily. I decided I didn't want to do that type of work early on. I prefer service work not new construction. My back and knees appreciate that. I started out in new construction when I started.

I have more then enough work that I sometimes have to turn away or farm out new customers.

I can tell you from experience that when things are good the union is great, but when things turn for the worse (and they will) it's not a pleasant situation when you have to scramble to feed your family. I know first hand as I stated my dad was a union plumber and shop, my brother is still in local 1 and my uncle is in local 21. I am in no way knocking the unions, like I said they have their place, but do not think for 1 second that because someone is not union they are a rat, scab or whatever name you want to conjure up.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              Aaron, it sounds like Union is the way to go in your area. Good choice. Every area is different. There are no plumbing unions around here. The only way to get good pay is to be a great plumber and demand to be paid what you are worth. Union is not the only way to make money.
                              Not really,Aaron's in the Honeymoon stage and the union has just popped the cork on a bottle of bubbly.
                              I can just see the last look of anticipation of what he's got coming to him next as the big Union dim's the lights.
                              Some guys love it.

Just kidding Aaron,You know...jobsite humor.Great fun,Huh?

I never was tempted,no matter how many times a rep came out to talk to me.He was also reminded my guys got off work at 3:30 he could talk to them then.

Comment

Work the passes code is the minimum. Lets talk about above and beyond that. I was able to rough in a house at 16 years old that passed inspection the first time around, it's not rocket science homie.

Aaron,

Don't get yourself too wound up with this stuff. The place for you to be right now is in the Union making the big bucks and getting proper training. However, keep in mind a lot of us started out in the Union and then went non-Union.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X