Plumbing Union numbers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing Union numbers

Aaron, ensure you broaden your plumbing horizons. I did, and I feel I can do just about anything, within reason. All plumbing is real, and important. Dont downplay any of it. Someday, when times are tough, and you can make money rodding a sewer, you will be able to eat.

Comment

Aaron open your eyes and be careful what you say. I feel kind of bad that you are buying into every line of crap your BA is feeding you, because some of it is just that crap. My grandfather worked in Local 21 for many years, upon joining the Korean War broke out the BA at the time encouraged him and many other young men in the union to enlist. Fast foward 40 years later, my grandfather is 65 ready to retire, because of his enlistment and somekind of underhanded politics his retirement was taken away because of his service to our country I dont know about you but had something like the above happen to one of your family members I am quite certain that you would have a bad taste in your mouth!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        Bigpipe09- I've been in the local long enough to realize the great benefits and room for advancement.

Jrsaltz- Do you really want me to point out what you cant do?

The list will be a lot longer. A commerical/industrial plumber has it alot harder than a shack plumber.

Work the passes code is the minimum. Lets talk about above and beyond that. I was able to rough in a house at 16 years old that passed inspection the first time around, it's not rocket science homie.

Masterplumb- Our local is roughly 10 years strong right now with 0 guys on the bench. I bet you maybe have 2 weeks of work sitting around at this second, am I right?

Reasons for leaving each shop...

Shop #1- Was being paid $3 over minimum wage and working like a dog.

Shop #2- Was being paid $4 over minimum wage and worked around a lot of drugs.

Shop #3- I left to join the local. Not to mention the pay sucked too.

It's so frustrating try to explain the training, pay, and benefits of a union to a group of close minded folks like yourself.
        Other peoples experiences are not an indication of closed mindedness. The inability to accept anothers point of view is closed mindedness. Your experience has been very pro union-no problem with that. Others has been not so good-I and you should have no problem with that.

Some of your comments or the way you put things is pretty insulting to people that have more experience and have seen more/done more than you at this point. You were just asking for help with math, right?

I've worked commercial and residential and have not had the experience of commercial plumbers having it alot harder. Do they put you on a commercial job by yourself and tell you to get the job done like your old boss did on houses? Or do you have a good amount of union guys to help?

The fact that you roughed in a house or houses doesn't carry much weight with me. I've seen pictures posted on the net from plumbers that were very proud of their rough in work that would not pass here at all. And yours might have been perfect. But statements like "it's not rocket science homie" or references like "shack plumber" makes you look nothing but bad and belittles what might be another persons main trade that they are terrific at.

Here's something you may not have seen that I have:

I've worked with guys that did commercial all the time & were good at it-and they could not rough in a house because they did not have a mechanical blueprint telling them about DWV & supply pipe sizing. Or the typical setup on fixtures/code dimensions. They also couldn't do service. Not just 1 guy either.

I've worked with guys that did majority of new houses & were great at it that could not do commercial work because they couldn't read the blueprints. And they couldn't troubleshoot a water heater etc. Not just 1 guy either.

I've worked around service guys that couldn't rough in anything. But they were terrific at service. Not just 1 guy either.

My point is that you can learn from everyone. Union guys, non union, service, electricians, HVAC, carpenters, and even engineers. (Wait, maybe not engineers. )

And a little more humbleness will go along way.

J.C.

Comment

To be honest there Aaron, I'm not the least bit impressed with your experience or your sh!tty attitude, towards BETTER more experienced plumbers. I'm not even sure your balls have dropped yet. You toot your own horn more than once a week. You wanna impress some of the older guys, keep your head down and yap closed, you might learn something. It's laughable that you've "figured out" the world of plumbing at the tender age of 14 or however old you are. Son.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Whoa!...the Forum is running a little bit hot tonight

Comment

For those of you who are giving Aaron a hard time let's try to remember he came here 16-months ago as a 16-year old High School drop out with nothing going for himself but a Backflow Testers License. With a little counselling and by humbling himself a bit he went out and got his GED, his drivers license, partied like a Rock Star at the Ridgid Factory and was accepted into the Plumbing Union.

I will be the first to admit he still has a lot to learn about respect but think back when you were 17-years old. For you who are lucky enough to be fathers I would ask that you talk to Aaron like you would one of your kids. What we leave behind is just memories of who we were. One of my memory of dog was how he went from the tough old foreman to an experienced plumber helping Aaron. Which ones of us will go down only being known as a jerk?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have helped him with everything from plumbing knowledge to math problems!
                He needs to show some respect though.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  For those of you who are giving Aaron a hard time let's try to remember he came here 16-months ago as a 16-year old High School drop out with nothing going for himself but a Backflow Testers License. With a little counselling and by humbling himself a bit he went out and got his GED, his drivers license, partied like a Rock Star at the Ridgid Factory and was accepted into the Plumbing Union.

I will be the first to admit he still has a lot to learn about respect but think back when you were 17-years old. For you who are lucky enough to be fathers I would ask that you talk to Aaron like you would one of your kids. What we leave behind is just memories of who we were. One of my memory of dog was how he went from the tough old foreman to an experienced plumber helping Aaron. Which ones of us will go down only being known as a jerk?

Mark
                  I've been wrestling with my emotions on this subject. I looked up some of Aaron's old threads and posts and he's always had a bad way of expressing himself, from the start, came off very cocky. When we met at DC, I was really suprised how nice and humble he was in person. As of late he's becomingly more disrespectful to the senior plumbing members with his comments and I don't think age is an excuse. Furthermore, when people have told him this, he laughs it off as no big deal. Unexcusable imo. Getting advice from your elders should never be laughed at.

If Aaron was my son this would not happen, my son is 5 and says "yes sir, no sir" and vice versa. Growing up, I had the same respect for my elders. My dad often brought me around his friends but he made the point that no one ever learned anything while they were doing the talking and I had much to learn. Sometimes we get placed into positions we're knowledge wise ready for but not emotionally. This is one of those times. Aaron, you need to listen, not be so quick to respond and think about what you type reflects upon yourself.

In 2000 I had just made e-5 in less than 2 years (normal time to make it is 5 years)and I thought I was top notch. I was given the biggest project that deployment installing a waterline with a crew of 30 people. I had much the same attitude that Aaron portrays here. Amongest my peers with less than 2 years in, I thought I was the plumbing God. Amongest the other E5's who had 5-10 years in, I was all brains, no experience. Rather than me askingfor their advice, I thought my way was best. Well, I ended up falling on my butt in a big way. Got fired 3 times from different postions, never lost any rank but came close. It was probably my worst deployment but my best as far as personal growth. After I stopped blaming everyone for my faults, I really changed for the better. One of my bosses told me "steel only bends with heat" but never told me what that meant. A couple years later I understood.

Aaron, this is a big learning experience for you and only 2 things can happen; 1. you reject the advice given here and resent us for it or 2. you listen to the advice given and understand it's said with the best intentions behind them and you grow as a person. I hope you pick option 2.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
                    In my opinion don't dish it out if you can't take it. I'm only 22, 17 wasn't that long ago for me. I can promise you I would never spout off at my elders, especially when they were offering advice meant to help me. Anytime I think I might have a chance to learn something, you can bet I'm listening. I suggest Mr. 1st year (yeah I know 3 years experience) do the same
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Aaron I have a good idea where your coming from.
                      Your doing great.
                      This re-occuring habit might put more than a few off.
                      Every punk comes up talking how quick he is at tieing his shoes.Great your in the union.
                      Call me when you start laying out 5" stainless for the welders

There is a big plumbing world out here were any one of us can whoop each others butt in more than one way or another.
                      Look at me,I run from snakes like a little girl.But hand me a set of plans and few guys and then we'll see what's up.And I still don't know diddly.
                      Point being there is a different tone in every environment.You're talking like you and I would be on the job.
                      I love the job atmosphere,just gets me in trouble when I play it on the outside.

Your doing good...
                      Just might want to tone it down a little bit.
                      ADAM

Comment

Aaron,

I've watched you grow on this forum in the last year, I admired your focus and desire to do the job right. I wish I had that focus when I was your age, you knew what you wanted to do and persued it. You would post pics of your work, knowing that some forum members would critisize what was wrong, and you would learn from it, respectfully. You've made friends on this forum, you've gained respect on this forum, and you've contributed to this forum. Now, with 4 months of being a union plumber, you've changed. Your arrogance is insulting to those that have befriended and helped you here, friendships and respect are not easily aquired. Be careful what you say and how you say it. We miss the old Aaron, hope to have him back soon.
                        The Other Rick

Comment

Hold on guys I gotta go pay my UA dues for this month...
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

This topic has gotten way out of hand. Now that I look back at my post, I can see how it might have been written poorly. Never meant to belittle anyone here. Now someone who has done both house and commercial plumbing knows there is a huge difference between the two. There is no comparison to working in a 2foot crawlspace, compared to working on a wide open floor working with another man and all the tools you could poss use. Me as a Union guy will be the first to admit, you put me in a residential setting with a guy that has 2 years experience, he will probably will work better than me. This is cause it is what he is used to. Now a bigger building is a complete different story, it is NOT the same as being in a house, and you know what, I probably could teach a guy that has 20years in the business a thing or 2 in a highrise cause I am used to that. If I offended anyone I apologize, not here to make enemies but to learn more.

Comment

i think erins post was due to lack of respect and knowledge in the trade---being he is a teenager---call a nonunion guy a rat----------

--show some respect for your elders---with that attitude, wait till you get laid off and cant pay bills---then see where u go!!!!!!

you ever think that you were paid 2 or 3 dollars over minimum wage because that was the value of an inexperienced young guy??????????? thats all id pay a 16 year old with 1 year--sounds like they ve got your head full of it---

good luck
                              Last edited by plumberjr; 09-17-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron91 View Post
                                hold on guys i gotta go pay my ua dues for this month... :d
                                yet another smart a$$ remark!

that's all you have to say after all of these comments?????

not very impressive at all!!!
                                www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Working...
                                X