X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Union numbers

Is there any meaning to them? How do they come up with them?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Plumbing Union numbers

Don't know. But I'd like to join Local G17 if possible.

J.C.

Comment

You're already in it. That's how secret it is, you're a member and you don't even know.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

What do you mean by 'any meaning to them', are you referring to benefits?

Your second question makes no sense.
        Last edited by Aaron91; 09-14-2008, 10:38 AM.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
          What do you mean by 'any meaning to them', are you referring to benefits?

You belong to the local 486? What does "486" mean? How did they come up with that number? Is that the 486th plumbing union? Does this clarify?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yes sir I belong to local 486. They came up with that number in 1995 when Plumbers Local 48 and Steamfitters Local 438 combined. 438+48=486, thats just in case your job site calculator was no where around...
            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Yes sir I belong to local 486. They came up with that number in 1995 when Plumbers Local 48 and Steamfitters Local 438 combined. 438+48=486, thats just in case your job site calculator was no where around...
              Wow,you guys are good.All that work completed by only 48 plumbers.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Wow,you guys are good.All that work completed by only 48 plumbers.
                That's because they were all local which cut down on the driving time.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The local number has nothing to do with the amount of members with in the local Adam.
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Okay so where did these 2 numbers come from?
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The local number has nothing to do with the amount of members with in the local Adam.
                      Really

Comment

What do you mean by 'any meaning to them', like benefits?

Both questions are valid and nothing wrong with either of them.

Q1: No, no meaning or ranking is associated with union local numbers.

Q2: They were assigned as the individual unions joined the UA International or for those local unions which existed and comprised the initial collective of locals that became the UA in 1889. In some areas of the country locals within a state or region had banded together to form associations, some based on their speciality weithin the trade such as Gas Fitters, Steam Fitters, or Plumbers. Many local union numbers were probably (I don't know for sure) assigned based on each unions ranking by number of members at the time, but today that number has no relation to the size (number of working members) of the individual local.

In the UA, Local #1 is the Plumbers Local of NYC. In the IBEW, local #1 is in St. Louis, MO.

Their web site says;

The New York City Journeyman Plumbers Society,
                        started in 1854, was a predecessor of Local 1,
                        and just before the first Labor Day Parade in 1882,

they became known as:
                        Local Assembly 1992 of the Knights of Labor.

The UA didn't exist as an international union in 1882. I believe it was 1889 that the first convention was held to form the UA.

Local Union numbers are not consecutive because along the way some unions were taken in by others or mergers of two or more unions resulted in either one of the existing LU numbers being used or a completely new LU number being created. I saw the latter happen recently in
                        NJ where 3 IBEW locals were merged into one. They took one digit from each of the three locals to create the new LU number.

Currently there are 13 different trade unions that make up the BCTD (Building & Construction Trades Department) of the AFL-CIO. The UBC (Carpenters) dropped out of the AFL a few years ago so are currently not part of the BCTD.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I kind of understand Unions within large corporations bordering on monopolies.

But what is there purpose and why have unions developed in plumbing in some areas?

I've just never seen a place where free market private plumbing companies couldn't do the same things while being fair to employess.

Give me some edumacation.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            you're already in it. That's how secret it is, you're a member and you don't even know.
                            g-g-g-g-g-g-g17 unit!

j.c.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              I kind of understand Unions within large corporations bordering on monopolies.

But what is there purpose and why have unions developed in plumbing in some areas?

I've just never seen a place where free market private plumbing companies couldn't do the same things while being fair to employess.

Give me some edumacation.

J.C.
                              Their biggest difference is the training available to the union apprentices. It really is a good program and the people are highly qualified. When I first started out I was in Local 109 of the Sheet Metal Local (HVAC). At the time most construction sites were closed sites meaning only union contractors could work the site. If a non union contractor came on site all of the union guys would walk off. Then in the mid 80's it got to where if the unions shops wanted work they had to go to open sites.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X