X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank YOU CPVC

First off, this has been a remarkable day, especially when I'm sitting here with extension cords and generators running my computer/tv/fans/fridge.

Today here in Kentucky we had category 1 hurricane winds and over a million people are without power.

What's nice is today I was called out to a service call for an expansion tank failure in a high end neighborhood.

Get there, it's water spraying from a molded CPVC/Brass female connector to copper piping leading into a 75 gallon gas water heater.

I don't have a sharkbite on the truck, and I won't make a glued connection in CPVC, ever. Especially when the customer wants that water back on immediately.

So I transitioned to CPVC and put a 8" piece of copper, in sweated copper to copper and done. I had to make a trip to Ace Hardware and here's what I saw:

Downed red lights

Roofs ripped off houses

Siding/gutters/trees/shrubs, damn near everything where it shouldn't be

Signs torn down

Saw a tree that fell over and totalled a car

Ace hardware was lights out! when I went in to buy the only 3/4" sharkbite

On the way back, I get a call that I don't have to worry about an old tree that was next to where I park my truck at the shop...

It fell during the high winds, snapped off flush at the base.

Amazing...If Plastic piping wouldn't of failed and had me on my way to fix it, that tree would of hit the center of my cab on my truck, crushing the roof down.

The insurance company wouldn't of paid for it because the tree has been dead for well over a year and it was one of those "we'll get to it in fall" situations.

I can't imagine what another wreck would of done to me financially...horrible.

Anyway, it tore the gutter off the one corner of the garage and that's it!

But the lady I did the leaking CPVC for? Gave me a $75 tip.

I get a call tonight, customer wanting to take preventative measures...wants me to sell my battery backup sump pump. No problem!

Then, I get a call from a guy that knows I'm sitting on 5 generators brand new in the box...

SOLD! for $800 but he was one of the only "good" employees I had this year.

So tomorrow when I wake up, I could go drive around with the rest of these generators and sell every damn one of them because by 7:30am tomorrow morning all of the big box stores along with all rental yards will be sold out or rented out on generators tomorrow.

I'm not too crazy about having to get up numerous times to fuel this generator tonight but I'd rather have what I have than sitting in a house for days by candlelight.

And what's awesome? I'll still have hot water tomorrow in the water heater because it requires no electric. I'm gonna smell good, unlike the fact that my dog took a dump in my office and I can't find it, yet.

Not too bad for missing a major accident in the driveway, making money, getting a nice tip, selling over $1100 worth of inventory on a sunday.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Thank YOU CPVC

Bless You and Yours. May life get better. BAD DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It just don't get any better than this.

Glad to hear you are OK and no one got hurt.

Take it easy on the dog, the storm probably scared the cr*p out of him.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Why do feel better about a sharkbite rather than a glued cpvc joint? Where was the leak on the joint? At the threads?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Why do feel better about a sharkbite rather than a glued cpvc joint? Where was the leak on the joint? At the threads?
          Ditto...sounds to me like somebody screwed up on gluing or mangled the adapter and it finally gave.

Solvent weld vs Sharkbite...you know my answer.

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and family.

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes, and hell! the nomination! I'm star power in the drain pipe now!

The connection was where the CPVC was bonded to the female brass adaptor. The bond that was made to brass finally broke. So it was a factory defect, not a workmanship issue. The glue joint made by the plumber was doing just fine.

It had been leaking for some time but today it started spraying across, hitting the expansion tank.

Glue and water pressure are two things I'll never put together with my two hands because even the damn can itself doesn't get specific on the time frame.

"Air test in two hours, full cure in 24" ??? I'm not going to shut off someone's water for 24 hours.

I'm not taking someone's statements that it took with no problems at 20 minutes either.

I use sharkbites less than 12 times a year and every time it's CPVC to copper.

I'll take pictures of the fallen tree, the connection in question and the mysterious smell in my office.

Comment

Had the exact same identical CPVC connection fail for another customer today.

This time it was the connection from CPVC to copper which led to a piece of crap main shutoff that wouldn't fully close. That didn't matter as the leak was before the main shutoff.

I replaced it all with a new 3/4" ball valve, new PRV because there were 2 more of those connections similar to the one leaking and used a 3/4" sharkbite to reconnect to CPVC a couple feet above.

The plastic is breaking (burst on this call today) where the CPVC is molded or glued to the brass inserted fitting to make the connection by IPS method.

NOT the glue joint made by the initial plumber...this is product defect.

That plastic CPVC main shutoff is worse than a gimmic toy in those quarter machines in the lobby of restaurants. Why are we allowing this junk in our plumbing systems?!

Comment

Yea those CPVC valves are garbage but I've found that the brass insert CPVC adapters were stronger than the all plastic ones.

Are you saying that the brass section separates from the plastic part?

Great...one more questionable joint I need to worry about while I'm counting sheep

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Yea those CPVC valves are garbage but I've found that the brass insert CPVC adapters were stronger than the all plastic ones.

Are you saying that the brass section separates from the plastic part?

Great...one more questionable joint I need to worry about while I'm counting sheep

I'll post a picture of the connection that failed. I actually cut the whole section out that had the main shutoff, prv, connection to the main copper line.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                      I'll post a picture of the connection that failed. I actually cut the whole section out that had the main shutoff, prv, connection to the main copper line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	86c0a8230ec1e464c2c1e34a0000bdba.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	4876

Upon further inspection, it was brass female adaptor that broke, not the joining of CPVC to brass.

Still, to have a couple of these basically blowing apart is NOT good. You can see the vertical crack in the brass right at the knuckle of the machined edge. Goes from top to bottom.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-16-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

When I went to Home Depot tonight......

could not find a single one of these transition fittings.

All of them are now conformed to real heavy copper fittings.

I guess they've figured out the brass isn't holding.

Comment

Working...
                        X