Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sump pump in walkout basement? Whats up with this?

A client has their house built in a hill somewhat. Walkout basement, and a floordrain in basement (gravity fed sewer leading to septic). However, there is no sump pump. Two years ago, his basement flooded. Water came from the back of the house at the foundation, settled into a low spot and destroyed everything. He was told by a waterproofer that his downspout was too close to the house. Well, he extended it, and he flooded again, and everything is ruined. He could see where the water was coming from (somewhere behind the wall), and puddling in the low spot on the floor. Basically the same place as two years ago. Being the low spot, I assume this is why the ground water came from here, and no where else in the rest of the basement.

I have no idea if there are drain tiles. I assume if there is, it would lead out in the backyard where it would drain. I could find nothing. Barring any new discovery, I am going to add a sump in the mechanical room. All it will be is a perforated crock, and hopefully it will draw water when the drain tiles or ground gets over saturated. Dont see this too often.

Re: No sump pump in walkout basement? Whats up with this?

The sump pump may help but if the water is comming in from the wall and then settling on the floor sounds more like there is a problem with the block more than the plumbing. If it is a walk out basement the water table should be below the basment floor . Hard to tell without seeing the job I would check and see if the downspouts are running out on the lawn or if they are ran into the footer drains. Find out and see if there is a blockage that might be causing the problem.
    Good luck

Comment

"....hopefully it will draw water when the drain tiles or ground gets over saturated"

This is why I like to leave the sump crocks and drain tiles to the waterproofing companies. I'll install the pumps and discharge piping.

Comment

He did have a waterproofing company out 2 years ago. They said his problem was the downspout that was not connected. I will be in the area tomorrow, and double check the downspouts. I install crocks as well as drain tile.

To me this is plumber work, and it has been lost to other trades. Same goes with water mains and sewer work.

I will update tomorrow evening.

Comment

We are going to do the sump pit as well as added drain tile where the leak occurred. Also, he is going to tie in two other downspouts as well. He is well aware this may or may not work. Unfortunately, where the leak supposedly is, he has about 15k worth of counter and cabinet work. No way to see behind it.

Comment

Working...
          X