Dampening ABS sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampening ABS sound

What's the best mat'l for dampening ABS? Customer had corroded and split CI replaced with ABS (8' vertical run). Now they hear the toilet water draining loud and clear in thier living room. I could just replace it with CI, but the proper sound insulation would be less evasive and a whole lot easier.

Re: Dampening ABS sound

I have used the black foam before but even better is the stuff you use for heat pipe.

It is white outside and yellow insulation inside. One of the 2 should solve the problem.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

There is a product that electricians used to put on the backside of their plastic boxes in firewalls.It's a type of "putty" product,6x6 and sticky on one side.I'll bet it's not cheap anymore.Insulation is not going to do it,I've only seen customers say it's a little quieter,but not much.This putty stuff doesn't even get it all like cast does.There is no reason to lean away from at least a cast riser.It's not that much to put in versus listening to that cr@p for the rest of someones life there.It's already accessible right?
      ADAM

Comment

I'll go ahead and switch it out

I'll have to open the wall, but at least it's on the garage side. It's simply coupled top and bottom. The Customers really want it to be "like before". Thanks for the input though!

Comment

There's a reason cast iron is called the 'Quiet Pipe'.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I would just put cast iron back in. All the insulation will only dampen the sound. Easier and better in the long run to go back with cast. Since you got the wall open, I would also replace as much as I could. If that piece went bad, I'm sure the rest can't be to far along.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I agree that insulation will not remedy the sound but it will help and it is the cheapest short term result.

Replacing with cast IS the ultimate answer.
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Wrap the abs with lead sheet

Comment

If ya need to go cheap use expansion foam and cut it to shape when it dries ( I have had very good luck with this)

Otherwise replace with cast

Comment

Asbestos. Lots and lots of asbestos
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I use blubber. Smells a little during the summer but you can't hear the flush.

Comment

Originally posted by rombo View Post
                        Wrap the abs with lead sheet
                        I kind of like that I'll save this one,might need it later.Sounds a bit pricey

Comment

Replaced the ABS with Cast Iron. You can't beat it for sound reduction of drainage.

Comment

Don't know why you did that! Rip it out ,go cast. 2 story home,go C.I. above 1st floor
                            ABS, or Better, PVC under 1st floor. I'm Just a dumb G.C.,what do I know?

Next person that mentions CARBON FOOTPRINT , I'm going to punch in the face !!
                            Last edited by toolaholic; 09-17-2008, 08:24 AM.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post

Next person that mentions CARBON FOOTPRINT , I'm going to punch in the face !!
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X