X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlights

I am on a search for the best flashlight on the market. I am a big fan of Maglights but they just don't cut it when I am trying to see the bottom of a 30-ft lift station that has a bit of mist, steam, fog or the combination of all of these.

I have several buddies that are fireman and they suggested this:

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=93

Before I spend over a 125 dollars I am wondering what some of you use that may work just as well at a cheaper price.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Flashlights

I'd seriously borrow one from my fireman buddies for a day.

I looked around the net pretty hard at all the different kinds and Streamlight is well rated with a full line. Some seem ridiculously expensive. And if you look around some guys almost have a sickness about there flashlights. Like they need some sort of intervention.

But maybe plumbers do too about all of there tools.

I eventually decided to just use the ones that came with my Bosch/Makita kit or a cheap one here or there if needed.

J.C.

Comment

For the most part I use the polystingers by StreamLight. However, my son gave me this Pelican light for Xmas and it is incredible:

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

I don't think it would work well for down in a lift station though.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'd have to say I think I'm pretty happy with the Milwaukee V28 Lithium Ion battery powered flashlight I use day in and day out. A charge lasts about 5-5 1/2 hours and it's plenty bright for looking it tight spots as well as lighting up dark work areas if needed. As a side note: The MIlwaukee V28 set I own was the first to the market, and is still in my opinion the best combination of smoothness, power & weight (I've tried the new Dewalt 28 V). I'm still impressed to this day. The battery charge indicator is something I use all the time. I just bought the V28 MIlwaukee right angle drill recently as well and it kicks arse!

Comment

What do you use the V28 Rt. Angle drill for? Limitations?

(Not to hijack the thread. It's still about flashlights.)

J.C.

Comment

Well I have a company provided MIlwaukee Superhawg in my van which kicks Arse with self feed bits & those Lenox one tooth bits (soon to be replaced with some of those new MIlwaukee 3 tooth hawg bits when they wear out). You want to see the definition of power? Slap on a 4" one tooth and watch this thing chew through 2 plates and some plywood in less than 3 seconds - it's a thing of beauty. But the problem is the Super hawg is a beast: especially when you're doing monotonous chores like running pex water lines through joist after joist or stud after stud. The Superhawg weighs 14 pounds, not to mention you need to drag a cord around with it. Ever since Milwaukee came out with a V28 right angle drill it's been on my "to buy list," and with a house I was doing recently, I developed the perfect excuse to add it to my collection. This house we are building that I was working on up until recently - the joists all go the wrong way. EVerything needs to go east and west and all the joists run north and south. And it's a 10,000 square foot 2 level with attic house that is quite long. With Hose bibs, water mains, reverse osmosis lines, heating mains, & staple up radiant lines, I gave myself the excuse I needed.

The excuse being this right angle drill with battery weighs a reasonable 10 pounds compared to the super hawg's 14.

As far as power is concerned it makes mince meat of anything up to 2" self feeds. It starts to work a bit when you do 2 9/16's self feeds, but if you got a sharp bit and good wood it's no problem with those. I used it with the 4" one tooth once and it did ok but not something I'd want to do regularly. The thing that amazed me most though was how long of a charge you get when you're just running/drilling smaller holes like 1-1 1/4" self feeds. It lasts longer than I thought it would. I think it's because of the gearing. It's got a 0-400 low gear, but to switch it to high gear requires some wrench surgery with the chuck, so I just decided to leave it in low gear all the time. It really makes the drills job a lot easier so it doesn't depress the battery as much as say when I'm using my v28 sawzall for extended cutting.

Comment

Surefire flashlights are the brightest out there. Limited battery life but if you need the power of the sun in your hand then surefire is the way to go. http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/...br/6/sesent/00
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

just a thought.

if there is a possibility that you may find yourself in a explosive atmosphere, confined space, ie gas leak or methane build up, consider "intrinsically safe" type products.

Comment

cheapest leds I can find. 1) I'll loose 'em 2) they'll fall apart. The head off my inspection mirror and good sun light we'll illuminate any hole.

Comment

Streamlite 3C is what I have been using for about a year. It has 3 intensity levels for brighter light when you need it. The steps are 3 led's than 6 led's then one Halogen bulb.

I rarely use more than the 3 led setting and you should be able to get it for $50.

Okie

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                      cheapest leds I can find. 1) I'll loose 'em 2) they'll fall apart. The head off my inspection mirror and good sun light we'll illuminate any hole.
                      I do the same thing to check down a vent.

For those who use streamlight, why? How did you get introduced to them. They're considered garbage by the military. The military guys with no spending limit buy surefire. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

For just a regular work light, I use the dewalt snake lantern.
                      Last edited by gear junkie; 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM. Reason: not clear
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        The military guys with no budget buy surefire.
                        Do you mean no budget as in no money or no budget as in unlimited money?

Comment

After donating 4-5 mag lights to customers I've started using el cheapos.
                          Come to think of it I'm still on my first el cheapo from last year, if it were a mag, it would be long gone.

Funny how customers don't call to tell you, you forgot something
                          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

A good rather low cost 2 D cell flashlight is the Bright Star 2618HD and being yellow and black it's easy to spot it. I like that you can carry a spare bulb under the tail cap spring. I wrap them in Kleenex to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              Do you mean no budget as in no money or no budget as in unlimited money?
                              I mean they have a credit card with no spending limit, they can buy whatever they want.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X