Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thermal syphon-what is it????

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    VINCE and anyone else ,A most interesting Man of the frozen North !

WWW.KINGOFOBSOLITE.CA Maybe some one can fix this,thanks

i'll take that as a complement. i do sit up at nights thinking of stuff, but it mostly rolls off my fingers.

too many long nights in the igloo. brain freeze.

i'm unable to download that site from up here for some freezing reason.

i'll keep trying.

Comment

[url]http://www.kingofobsolite.ca/[url]

His home and shop is at Lynn lake Manitoba

cat train tours He is also on Shop floor talk
      Last edited by toolaholic; 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is base don something
        I brought up here a few years ago but no one remembered anything about it. It's also similar to a solution that was used on the Alaskan Pipeline for pipe supports. To keep from conducting heat into the permafrost they used the same cooling solution.

The item I asked if anyone remembered was an article in Popular Science in the What's New section (which that whole section of the mag was new back then) about something they referred to as "Heat Pipes"

Basically a tube partially filled with a fluid possessing a low boiling point that had a vacuum drawn on it. The tubes pass through a layer of insulation at an angle, such that the upper end is on the inside and the lower end is outside. This is mounted in an outside wall of the house and framed out and glazed over so as to look like a window from the outside.
        Heat enters the outer section and heats the fluid to generate a vapor that rises to the top of the inclined tube. Along the way it passes through the rigid insulation (Styrofoam in the example) to the inner section. Here it radiates the heat off into the room. As it does it condenses and drops back down to the outer side where the cycle repeats.

This is a quick description of how it works, but you get the idea. Now tell me why these are not one the market. Totally passive, no energy needed, no moving parts, no maintenance. Any wonder why they never made it to the street? I have been wanting to build a model out of 1/2" copper. I want to make a couple dozen tubes and mount them in a frame and put some RTDs or thermocouples on each side and measure the temperatures and see if this really does work. Because it either is total BS or its so good they don't want you to know about it.

If I still had the issue of PS I would scan it and post it here, but it was 30 years ago, maybe more that I read it. I can still see the page in my mind and the graphics used to illustrate the principle behind it and a photo of a prototype mounted in a house wall.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Here is the correct website <http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/>

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            [url]http://www.kingofobsolite.ca/[url]

His home and shop is at Lynn lake Manitoba

cat train tours He is also on Shop floor talk
            WOW all I have to say about that. That guy needs soom paint!! Do they not sell Cat Yellow up in the Northlands! I mean if you put so much time into making something run so well why wouldnt you want it to llok nice too?

Comment

Whench, If You start reading His exploits on shop floor talk ,You'll be hooked! He takes one of His Cats [ the communist Cat ] into the wilderness to an old mining site. He winches it out of the muck,then home. Re builds it. Takes salvaged gas station fuel tanks. Cuts them open. Then with His excavator ,flattens them,Has plate to build a boat for the mining co. this guy is amazing!!!!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

tool you had me hooked for hours last night on his site reading and looking at pictures. I was quite impressed, I am an old iron man myself with an old John Deere track loader, a TD-7 dozer that I resurected as well as on old Cat Model 10! Something about reviving something that was destined to be melted down and shipped overseas! I do not consider myself done with a machine though until it has a fresh coat of paint and a nice new set of decals, then I go and get them all muddy again!

Comment

Mid Jan. I'll meet You up there. Love the welder ,exhaust radiation,heating the shop.
                  Ever see a trailer as long as the one he hauls scrap with? He is one working fool!!
                  Think He bootlegs His own plumbing?????

Comment

Working...
                  X