thermal syphon-what is it????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermal syphon-what is it????

just wanted to tease your brains. thermal syphons actually exist. do you know what they are and what they're used for??

here's a hint: it uses carbon dioxide gas

Re: thermal syphon-what is it????

The only "thermal syphon" I'm aware of (if this is the right term? ) is creating a circulating loop without a pump.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      The only "thermal syphon" I'm aware of (if this is the right term? ) is creating a circulating loop without a pump.

J.C.

you explained the physics right off the bat.

i'm freakin impressed.

Comment

Thanks. Even illiterate people from the South get one once in a while.

I used to dream of going to college. While I was sleeping in high school of course.

Off to the outhouse.

J.C.

Comment

imagine if you will, a cracked up concrete slab. up here, we have permafrost. during the summer the gound out on the land thaws to a depth of approx. 1-2 ft.

in town where we have the water and sewer mains, the ground will thaw to about 1-2 ft below the mains, this is in the heat wave of summer (21 c or 72 f). the land is basically a big frozen sponge. except of course where we apply heat to the ground whether its through the pipes, or a concrete slab.

think about it like a big concrete raft in the swamp, during a heat wave. it gets all cracked up.

somebody came up with the idea of keeping the ground under concrete slabs frozen. even during the heat wave of summer. now the slabs don't crack.

horizontal steel pipe is laid in the ground prior to pouring the slab. i'm not sure how the pipes are connected together to the cooling towers or what the btu cap. are. is for liquid carbon dioxide, but it must be dam cold, eh.

cooler than the drool on a polor bear's tool.

upon near completion of the building being constructed, the cooling towers are installed.

the cooling tower is a vertical steel pipe with a bunch of steel fins. kinda looks like a bull rush on steroids.

the vertical and the horizontal are connected together. the horizontal is then fill with liquid CO2, then its sealed up.

the idea is: the liquid CO2 absorbs the heat. it turns into a gas and travels up to the cooling tower whereby it releases the heat, forms back into a drop of liquid CO2, then travels back down the tower back to the horizontal pipe!

almost sounds like a perpetual motion machine.

i heard this once: within every problem, lies it's own solution.

Comment

Pretty sweet solution. Thanks. Learned alot.

J.C.

Comment

That is cool! beats driving piles!! The job I have to be on tommorrow to inspect the sewer, each manhole had to be pile supported because the project was built on a swamp!

Comment

one of the big train company's up here called VIA, i'm sure you heard of them also uses the "thermal syphon". they have a line that runs up to churchill, manitoba. that's the end of the world for most people except us of course.

northern manitoba is also a big swamp and i guess they have had problems in the past with the rail line and and the "big sponge".

they installed thermal syphons under the problem areas of the line, no more problem.

hey jc, if a person lived in a really hot area, would nitrogen be better instead of CO2?

Comment

Thanks. Very Cool. (literally i guess)

Comment

Find the system very interesting,

but to work the air temperature has to be below the ground temps is that correct?
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

think about it like a fidge/freezer heatpump except it uses pressurized CO2 and it doesn't have any moving parts other than the dropletts of liquid CO2 returning to the horizontal pipe under the slab.

does that help? i'll take a pic today and post it later.

Comment

Off Topic Vince , Do You know of " KING OF OBSOLITE" ? Runs cat trains. I'm also a welder ,and know Him at Shop Floor Talk
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

not by that nick name. i'm surprised anyone would know what a cat-train is.

do you know his real name?

Comment

VINCE and anyone else ,A most interesting Man of the frozen North !

WWW.KINGOFOBSOLITE.CA Maybe some one can fix this,thanks
                            Last edited by toolaholic; 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM.
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've checked him out before. Part cool, part on the edge of insanity to me. I keep thinking of "The Shining".

All work and no play makes the King a very dull boy.
                              All work and no play makes the King a very dull boy.
                              All work and......

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X