X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back Up Sump Systems

I've got at least 70 basement watchdogs in use over 6 years of running under my company name,

Here's the failures:

One battery because of a lightning strike

One battery because of lack of maintenance

One primary pump to the secondary because an idiot kid used the pit as a wishing well....secondary check valve held open by a penny that burned up the primary.

Other than that, they all run solid and without interruption.

The key to those is the installation, and that in itself takes time to do right.

Just did one this week, $749 to install with no replacement of the primary.

Had to rework the discharge in which I strapped it to a wall, looked PRO! feshawnul!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We only install water powered b.u. pumps. When power goes out the battery powered ones only work for a few hours and then the customer is stuck.

Our code accepts the installation as long as there is a double check valve upstream. All of the water powered ones that we have used also have a built in vacumn breaker. If properly installed there is no danger of contamination. The only glitch is that they are not useful on well water unless there is a back-up generator.

We have been using them for over twenty years but do not use the Zoeller or any other cheap design. We started using Delcor, which was developed in Detroit by one of our suppliers. The first ones he built used a toothbrush handle as part of the operating mechanism.

The modern ones Delcor is no longer in business) use the same vortex principle but are more sophisticated in the operating mechanism.

When properly installed and maintained they are reliable and do the job. And yes they do use 1 gallon of water for each gallon pumped, but the customer would rather pay a water bill than have the mess of a flooded basement.

Comment

Will they pump more than 364 gph?

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
          We only install water powered b.u. pumps. When power goes out the battery powered ones only work for a few hours and then the customer is stuck.

Our code accepts the installation as long as there is a double check valve upstream. All of the water powered ones that we have used also have a built in vacumn breaker. If properly installed there is no danger of contamination. The only glitch is that they are not useful on well water unless there is a back-up generator.

We have been using them for over twenty years but do not use the Zoeller or any other cheap design. We started using Delcor, which was developed in Detroit by one of our suppliers. The first ones he built used a toothbrush handle as part of the operating mechanism.

The modern ones Delcor is no longer in business) use the same vortex principle but are more sophisticated in the operating mechanism.

When properly installed and maintained they are reliable and do the job. And yes they do use 1 gallon of water for each gallon pumped, but the customer would rather pay a water bill than have the mess of a flooded basement.
          Good point there at the end!

I'm still leary about them. What brand do you use now? I would like to educate myself further on these things.
          www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Anyone ever use the HYDROPUMP RH 1400?
            http://www.basepump.com/Hydropump.htm

My pit is very small (it was made from a section of terra cotta chimney liner) so I think that is the only one the would work with my small pit? Just can't find any 1st person experience with it.
            I'm on well water and don't have a transfer switch for my well so a water powered one is out.

Comment

Originally posted by bas157 View Post
              Anyone ever use the HYDROPUMP RH 1400?
              http://www.basepump.com/Hydropump.htm

My pit is very small (it was made from a section of terra cotta chimney liner) so I think that is the only one the would work with my small pit? Just can't find any 1st person experience with it.
              I'm on well water and don't have a transfer switch for my well so a water powered one is out.
              Whats the diameter of your pit, and how deep? So you already have a sump in there? If so, that one looks like it would do well. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Its actually square, no more than 12" on each side, maybe 18 inches deep. I can only use one with a verticle float switch on a rod, that's how small it is. I've thought about making it bigger but it would be tough due to its location and not really sure about tearing up the concrete floor?

Pump runs alot when it is raining so my basement would be flooded if I didn't have one! Been a fairly dry summer so it hasn't run too much lately.

Comment

Short of tearing it up, the backup pump on the website may be the one to try.

Comment

Working...
                  X